Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

ZombiU: Why I ignored negative reviews

Comment on site articles.

Blog: John Vekinis has enjoyed ZombiU so far

Like many others, in the build up to the Wii U launch I was consumed by the hype. Many a review was read and trailer watched as I awaited getting my grubby mitts on the system. By far the game I had the most vested interest in was ZombiU, simply because it's the game I chose to pre-order well in advance as my launch game. Judging by reviews, it seems ZombiU ended up dividing opinions more than Marmite and I was pretty worried that I would be wasting my money on a mediocre launch game. But along came ONM's review, a noble score was dished out and I immediately felt better.

... read more

ZombiU: Why I ignored negative reviews

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 03 Dec 2012, 17:57

Exactly! This game is actually a proper zombie survival game. People have come to expect every game with guns in it to be a big explosion! This game focuses on fear and suspense. The negative reviewers didn't play it properly and didn't understand the point of Zombi U! :x
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Re: ZombiU: Why I ignored negative reviews

Postby dave666 » 03 Dec 2012, 18:31

Zombi U has done for zombie games what goldeneye did for first person shooters,what arkham asylum did for batman,but more importantly it has brought proper survival horror back to gamers. This is the only horror game I have ever played that makes me wanna down a few shots of whiskey before booting it up, and I don't even drink !

for me zombi u is the gold standard by which I will judge all future horror titles by,and to anybody that has disregarded this game as some poor launch title then your just being a fool to yourselves and missing out on one hell of game. But make no mistake you are not some trigger happy meat head out to save the world,you are a nobody that's fighting a desperate,loosing battle and that in itself creates a feeling of dread and unease.

Zombi U has set the bar very high indeed and has actually done something that hasn't been done by a video game in a long time.......scare people

well done ubisoft :twisted:
dave666

Postby rayboi » 03 Dec 2012, 18:52

Everything this article said was true. Everyone (including gamer reviewers) have forgotten what proper horror games actually play like. ZombiU is a return to that classic form, which is infinitely better than games that try to replicate it (e.g. Call of Duty). I think the reviewers that gave it a bad review have become so accustomed to the way that CoD and modern Resident Evil games deliver Zombie Horror. I personally think that they suck. I don't care what those reviewers say.
MuFfin MaN
rayboi

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 03 Dec 2012, 19:16

ur just right it's what u make of the game not some-one else , haven't played mine yet but 2-moro night it will be time 2 kick some zombie ass , i've just been enjoying mario and sonic 2 much
5OUNDWAVE

Postby craigbigedd » 03 Dec 2012, 21:54

I've been gaming for 35 years and its about time we has a survival horror title like this.
Once you master the gamepad,play mechanics and surroundings it really becomes a pure class game.
The problem is people have had dumbed down game difficulty for a while now and when a traditional hardcore game like this comes around they slag it off.My advice buy a wii u and a copy of this game and grow a set of balls :P :P
craigbigedd

Postby Zing06 » 03 Dec 2012, 22:05

I totally ignored the bad reviews and have been have so much fun with it, my only concern is that it's not scary enough :twisted:
Zing06

Postby Riverlution » 03 Dec 2012, 22:20

My god. I was so worried about the negative reviews (Espescially since I ordered the Zombi U set) but this video has put me at ease. The game looks amazing, 25th of December can't come soon enough... but even then I'll have to wait a couple of days for all the youngen's to disperse before I can get this going properly.
Riverlution

Postby Xenobladeperson » 03 Dec 2012, 22:53

A few hours in and so far, it's a solid and genuinely terrifying survival horror. I've only used my pistol for five or so enemies in the game, two outside Buckingham Palace and the rest because the pistol ammo was taking up too much room in my BOB. It's starting to become a little repetitive, as I've used by cricket bat for nearly enemy in the game so far.

I ignored the reviews because I had the game pre-ordered before the reviews came out, I probably wouldn't have bought the game if I hadn't already ordered the ZombiU bundle, but I'm glad I got.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby CraigEmberson » 03 Dec 2012, 23:07

Unfortunately, so many gamers have changed. They care about the best graphics and shooting everything in sight... Bizarrely, people I know who still play Nintendo consoles have stayed grounded and care about the important things in games (and in life). It upsets me when I hear kids obsessing over shooters they're not meant to play, making gun signs at random people and genuinely enjoying the thought of it. The mechanics of this game and the general idea of it feels like gaming used to be, not just about all that. For me, if you're frustrated and all - turning to games lets it all out and makes you feel good after. Whereas so many gamers genuinely only grow into loving guns and blood, not caring about story or mechanics and the like. They've forgotten the point of gaming and the point of the experience.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby adamatsu » 03 Dec 2012, 23:30

i dunno, ign was really hyped for the game and most reviewers were hoping for a survival horror game. most of the criticism was because it was frustrating, repetitive and not actually that scary. that's what put me off, i've ordered project zero 2 for wii instead, apparently it's TERRIFYING!
adamatsu

Postby TrunStrat » 04 Dec 2012, 00:18

This is one of the best games I have played in years! I was sick to death of action games in the vein of CoD and Modern Warfare. I absolutely love the feel and tension of ZombieU. Ubisoft have come good!
TrunStrat

Postby andisart » 04 Dec 2012, 00:21

yes yes YES! I totally agree with this blog post too!

I played the original Resident Evil titles on the Gamecube back in the day and it scared the s**t out of me and my sister!
We actually screamed A LOT playing it! What fun this was :mrgreen:

And ZombiU is the FIRST game since those days that made me scream again!
Well done Ubisoft :D

I predict this game will reignite the interest in actual SURVIVAL-horror games and cause a new trend.
It is one of the biggest launch games and it seems to sell well so far (UK first sales ranking it was 3rd highest WiiU game, is high up on Amazon rankings). Just as I predict the WiiU will be a new trend in itself, because it is friggin AWESOME! I cant stop playing it :D
andisart

Postby jaco_p » 04 Dec 2012, 13:32

Yes the reviews may have been mediocre, and i was slightly worried at first, but i ploughed on and bought the game anyway, knowing that i would probably love it. Aside from the 2 people who reviewed it for IGN and EDGE i haven't heard a single person that has played it and doesn't love it!!! Yes, i suppose it could get quite repetitive using the cricket bat but i just think it's scary as hell as you have to time your swings properly to stop yourself from taking damage.
In short i agree with the blog! Proper survival horror. I'm not sure even dead space scared me this much. Emphasis is on careful inventory management, planning, and running away!!
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby nintenu » 04 Dec 2012, 14:02

There just reviews, good or bad ...at the end of the day, it's just one person’s opinion!
NintenU One Game at a Time!
Be a part of it ...Join the Staff!
nintenu

Postby leftoverlunch » 05 Dec 2012, 00:12

I agree 100% not much more to add other than i am loving zombie u. It's been a long time since i agreed with so many people in the same thread. The other thing is the reviewers wouldn't of been able to use the online features. It's so much fun finding an old buddie that passed on and left me a bob full of ammo.
leftoverlunch

Postby Piplup » 05 Dec 2012, 18:28

I'm getting it when I get my Wii U, but I don't know what to expect really. I doubt it will scare me at all but it looks like a fun game. My main reason for getting the Wii U was a prospective Project Zero game in the future, really, but I do like the look of this.

I doubt it's any Forbidden Siren difficulty wise but it'll be fun I hope.
No longer a workplace sex criminal.
Piplup