Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

LoveFilm launches on Wii today, Wii U coming soon

Comment on site articles.

Stream films for as little as £4.99 a month

Lovefilm launches on Wii today while the Wii U version of the popular movie and TV streaming service will be coming soon.

... read more

LoveFilm launches on Wii today, Wii U coming soon

Postby Dan Fantastic » 04 Dec 2012, 13:30

I already have this on my ps3 and the quality is no way near as good as Netflix, which supports HD video and Dolby Digital. Unfortunately Netflix on Wii U isn't brilliant as Ninty didn't license Dolby or DTS, so Netflix only outputs films in stereo. I know Wii U outputs 5.1 lpcm, but this isn't supported by Netflix. More annoying that Wii U background music and Mario U doesn't have 5.1 multichannel support.
Dan Fantastic

Re: LoveFilm launches on Wii today, Wii U coming soon

Postby nintenu » 04 Dec 2012, 14:09

Love Film for Wii U coming soon?? ...there was an icon for this on my Wii U (deleted it), what was the point of that, if it's coming soon??

Netflix has pretty much everything I want to watch ...and well, I don't want to watch!
NintenU One Game at a Time!
Be a part of it ...Join the Staff!
nintenu

Postby K-tet » 04 Dec 2012, 14:50

LoveFilm comes to Wii U soon, yet the LoveFilm Instant app is already there in the Wii U's splash screen. Funny that...

Oh well, at least Netflix is available for now.
K-tet

Postby lrwr14 » 04 Dec 2012, 17:09

LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby ledreppe » 04 Dec 2012, 17:37

To k-tet: the application is there but it requires an update which isn't currently available, which is why it's described as "coming to Wii U soon". I thought there was a problem with the software until I realised from the more details button that the app wasn't 'ready to use' out of the box. Just like many other things weren't and required that massive update that annoyed the hell out of everyone.

lrwr14 wrote:LoveFilm are awful. I'll stick to netflix
Really? I find it the opposite, I can search for a film on Netflix and usually not find it, but get it on LoveFilm no problems!
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby K-tet » 04 Dec 2012, 17:57

@ledreppe: Sarcasm's a wonderful thing when you don't make it apparent. Take note of "Funny that..."
K-tet

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 04 Dec 2012, 18:01

6 pound for netflix or 10 quid for lovefilm and get film's sent out as well ?
5OUNDWAVE

Postby lrwr14 » 04 Dec 2012, 19:36

ledreppe wrote:To k-tet: the application is there but it requires an update which isn't currently available, which is why it's described as "coming to Wii U soon". I thought there was a problem with the software until I realised from the more details button that the app wasn't 'ready to use' out of the box. Just like many other things weren't and required that massive update that annoyed the hell out of everyone.

Really? I find it the opposite, I can search for a film on Netflix and usually not find it, but get it on LoveFilm no problems!

5OUNDWAVE wrote:
6 pound for netflix or 10 quid for lovefilm and get film's sent out as well ?

I guess it's just because I had a bad experience with them, Netflix does have it's problems too.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby Mr Roboto » 04 Dec 2012, 20:22

Netflix for me and I'm currently watching Breaking Bad which is awesome!

I think I'll stick with watching it on my PS3 though as I like my PS3 remote control to use the app.
Mr Roboto

Postby Adam Pompa » 05 Dec 2012, 08:08

I'm more interested in the fifa 13 demo icon at the bottom than love film.
Adam Pompa