Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

What does the Wii U system update do?

Comment on site articles.

System updates for 3DS and Wii U this morning

Those of you have have a Wii U or a 3DS may have performed a Wii U System Update this morning but what does it do?

... read more

Postby Wiimote » 05 Dec 2012, 11:48

What about the 3DS update?
Awesome friends they know who they are :wink:
'Never underestimate Nintendo'- Chandra Nair.
3DS FC 4511-0577-5238 Please pm me if you add me.
AC:NL dream address 6000 2399 3461
Wiimote

Re: What does the Wii U system update do?

Postby deKay » 05 Dec 2012, 11:55

My Wii U exploded.

(it didn't really).
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby PreownedPK » 05 Dec 2012, 12:00

15 mins update for me & seems quicker ...
PreownedPK

Postby K-tet » 05 Dec 2012, 12:02

I'm sure we'll find out what the updates are for during the Nintendo Direct broadcast later on this afternoon.

Updating the 3DS didn't take that long (about 2 minutes). I'll update the Wii U soon. I'll edit this post as to how long it took me.

Edit: Turns out it does update in the background automatically. I have an estimated 10 minutes to go and it's 75% complete. 50 minutes to an hour sounds about right. I powered my Wii U on at 10:15 this morning.

Also, I like how the Download Management arrow animates when you do have something downloading from the Home Menu. It's always the subtle things with Nintendo that make them refreshing.
Last edited by K-tet on 05 Dec 2012, 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
K-tet

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 05 Dec 2012, 12:03

mine only took about 10 - 15 min's and it was at 6 in the morning , i've noticed no difference either
5OUNDWAVE

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 05 Dec 2012, 12:26

also my 3ds update was instant
5OUNDWAVE

Postby K-tet » 05 Dec 2012, 12:47

Perhaps we're just being idiots. Remember that Nintendo of America promised an update to fix the random crashing (which many had experienced whilst playing Nintendo Land)? As I said before in another topic, I've had my Wii U crash just once through my own impatience of loading Miiverse from the off. I think the two are related and it's a Miiverse issue.

What I can tell you is that the update is 625MB in size.
K-tet

Postby deKay » 05 Dec 2012, 12:48

On my home connection, 625MB is 14 hours. Sigh.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 05 Dec 2012, 12:55

my crashed playing the fifa 13 demo and was making this crazy noise , a couple of my wii's have done this in the past 2
5OUNDWAVE

Postby lminett » 05 Dec 2012, 13:05

The update has decreased loading times, logging in, going onto the e shop, miiverse all that is much faster now
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Postby deKay » 05 Dec 2012, 13:20

lminett wrote:The update has decreased loading times, logging in, going onto the e shop, miiverse all that is much faster now

Strange how all the games news sites are suggesting it doesn't speed up anything, and in some cases, slows it down.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby choclate-milk » 05 Dec 2012, 13:26

The 3DS update was just to block more flashcards, as far as I know. There doesn't seem to be any other changes.
choclate-milk
ONM Moderator

Postby ledreppe » 05 Dec 2012, 14:04

choclate-milk wrote:The 3DS update was just to block more flashcards, as far as I know. There doesn't seem to be any other changes.

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I clicked on confirm to install the update.

One thing about the Wii U update that hasn't been mentioned is that it now allows you to format and use a 3TB usb hard disk. I've been eagelry awaiting this promised update so that I can finally use my 3TB drive . 3TB drives weren't supported in the version 2 update on day 1, only up to 2TB. Be warned though, you are only able to format to 2TB so you'll loose a 1/3 of your 3TB drive :x !

I don't know if it's something I did, but I had to redownload uPlay and my eShop download Trine 2, as it somehow disappeared from the Wii U's internal flash memory after I formatted the hard drive, strange.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby Henertee » 05 Dec 2012, 14:17

My Wii U freezes when the menu opens and makes a horrible noise. It's going to have to be sent off to be repaired. Apparently I'm not alone...
Henertee

Postby deKay » 05 Dec 2012, 14:22

ledreppe wrote:
I don't know if it's something I did, but I had to redownload uPlay and my eShop download Trine 2, as it somehow disappeared from the Wii U's internal flash memory after I formatted the hard drive, strange.

Probably because they were on the drive, not the flash!
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby ledreppe » 05 Dec 2012, 15:13

deKay wrote:
ledreppe wrote:

Probably because they were on the drive, not the flash!

My usb drive wasn't working before the update, if you read my comment properly you'd have known this.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby K-tet » 05 Dec 2012, 15:42

ledreppe wrote:3TB drives weren't supported in the version 2 update on day 1, only up to 2TB. Be warned though, you are only able to format to 2TB so you'll loose a 1/3 of your 3TB drive :x !

Well... your explanation's off. You don't magically lose a Terabyte of storage just because the Wii U formats a 3TB to 2TB. If you decide to use the same 3TB drive for Windows, once it's formatted for use in Windows, it'll see it as a 3TB drive. There was a discussion before based on how the embedded firmware doesn't support anything more than 2TB due to the way the code was written. Nintendo can correct this in a future firmware update, but let's be honest, 2TB is overkill by every standard. It's enough for 80 full 25GB games.

The Wii U update improves performance for Wii U application loading times (not disc loading times, that's the fault of the developers) and fixes Miiverse crashes, as well as allowing the system to see hard drives bigger than 2TB (but again, only allowing them to be formatted to 2TB). As far as the 3DS update goes, as people say, probably just to block Flash Cards.
K-tet

Postby wolfboy300 » 05 Dec 2012, 16:25

I have a problem guys...

My WiiU got switched off (because of electricians, but mainly my fault for making it do a system update) and now it won't turn back on.

What do I do? The Gamepad's fine, of course, but the console isn't.
wolfboy300

Postby deKay » 05 Dec 2012, 16:44

wolfboy300 wrote:I have a problem guys...

My WiiU got switched off (because of electricians, but mainly my fault for making it do a system update) and now it won't turn back on.

Send it back. That's all you can do.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby K-tet » 05 Dec 2012, 16:48

It lost power during the update? Losing power during the update leads to the system being bricked. I hope that's not the case, but if it has been bricked, you've basically got an expensive paperweight.

I'm sure we can help you here, but first we'll need answers to the following questions (assuming the system is bricked):

1. Where did you buy your Wii U from?
2. Do you have insurance for the system itself?
3. Do you still have proof of purchase for the Wii U (i.e. any receipts, invoices etc)?

Game for example offer GameCare, so any problems incurred accidentally (such as loss of power) means GameCare covers you for that. Just return the system fully boxed, with the insurance documents and the proof of purchase to the store you bought it from, explain to them the situation, and they will advise you on what to do. Usually they'll take the system from you and send it off to be repaired. If the system cannot be repaired, they are obliged under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 to either replace the system with a working like-for-like replacement, or reimburse you fully for the purchase.

It should also be noted that all electrical appliances (including games consoles) come with a standard one year warranty, so if you don't have any insurance, you'll need to contact Nintendo Customer Support and explain to them the situation. All you then need is the proof of purchase and the system itself, and they'll advise you on how to send it to them and they'll attempt to fix it. If they can't, they are obliged to either send you a working like-for-like replacement, or reimburse you fully (less courier fees if applicable) for the purchase.

Hope this helps.
K-tet

Postby ThePokekid78 » 05 Dec 2012, 17:38

Nice to see that Nintendo aren't hanging around with fixing the software issues with the Wii U!

As for the 3DS...well, I deliberately still haven't updated it since that update that fixed the Mario Kart 7 glitch on Wuhu Mountain! I like that glitch, and don't want to lose it! :lol:
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Smyrlie » 05 Dec 2012, 17:49

wolfboy300 wrote:I have a problem guys...

This happened to me a couple of days ago when I turned it off while Miiverse was loading. I just unplugged all the wires at both sides, waited a couple of minutes and plugged them back in. It may not work for you because you turned it off during the update but it's worth a try before you send it back. Hope this helps.
3DS Friend Code: 5198-2575-6428
NNID: Smyrlie
Smyrlie

Postby chojin » 05 Dec 2012, 17:51

Last edited by chojin on 05 Dec 2012, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
:twisted:
chojin

Postby chojin » 05 Dec 2012, 17:56

Mine download (DL) went on in the back ground of playing Nintendo Land, went to the DL manager tapped the update once it had finished and it said it will apply it once the system had been rebooted. So I rebooted and get an error on my GamePad (GP) saying there was no WiiU console in range and to power off the GP and try again closer, the Blue light was on the WiiU but there was not TV signal for it. Rebooted again and again and again approx 30min later I still had nothing, so I started to get Twitchy Bum Syndrome so started to call Nintendo Customer Service, while queuing to speak to someone and listening to Zelda music I rebooted again and this time it came on. Its been applying the update now for 60min +. So I'm unsure if I should reboot again ???
chojin

Postby chojin » 05 Dec 2012, 19:33

OK, the update is still applying, well I think I just have the White Back Ground and the WiiU logo bottom right thats now 2h 30mins +

How long did it take for the second update to apply everyone ?

HELP
chojin

Next