Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Mario spin-off games

Comment on site articles.

From Mario Kart to Paper Mario, these are some of Mario's finest moments

From racing to tennis and even dancing, the plumber has indulged in a number of extra-curricular activities (and, if you count Mario's Early Years: Fun With Numbers, a number of activities that are on the curriculum). We don't blame him, after saving princesses and Paulines so many times, the plumber needs a break. So, with Paper Mario: Sticker Star being released in the past week, it's time to look back at Mario's best spin-off games.

... read more

Best Mario spin-off games

Postby j bean » 09 Dec 2012, 09:27

For me mario party 4 was the best of the mario party games and I've also got a lot of fond memories of mario kart double dash. Really hoping that both these games get a virtual console release on the wii u.
j bean

Re: Best Mario spin-off games

Postby vtheyoshi » 09 Dec 2012, 09:42

No Mario Kart: Double Dash? For shame!

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Thanks for the memories and great times, ONM. It's been a damn good run.
vtheyoshi

Postby Pyron12 » 09 Dec 2012, 10:31

The bottom screenshot on Page 3 is Mario & Wario
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 09 Dec 2012, 11:01

vtheyoshi wrote:No Mario Kart: Double Dash? For shame!

I have to agree. Mario Kart 7 just doesn't feel right to me: whether it's the lack of fake item boxes or the abundance of silly little ramps on grassy verges being passed off as short-cuts, I don't know. But something just isn't kosher in that game. It also feels like it's missing some of it's crucial Mario charm. In Double Dash there were Mario references all over the place, from the track names, to the obstacles to the things in the background, but Mario Kart 7 doesn't seem to have all that many in comparison. It started in this way in Mario Kart Wii with some courses only containing one or two Mario things in it - like Grumble Volcano, in which all I found were Podoboos - and has become worse in MK7.
Double Dash is by far my favourite Mario Kart game. Sure it wasn't perfect - it didn't have all that many tracks, but they were almost all excellent; the drifting system was a bit awkward, but it could really help if you knew how to properly use it; it wasn't as fun as on Wii or 3DS where you could play with any amount of other people, be it your friends or just anyone - but for me the design and novelty of Double Dash (two characters in a kart was a genius idea to add some risk/reward to the double item box collecting) made it brilliant.
It's what Mario Kart designers should look to for everything.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby shy guy 64 » 09 Dec 2012, 11:28

the RPGs are my favrouite spin offs
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby danbish » 09 Dec 2012, 12:23

My favourite Mario spin off has to be the Paper Mario series! :D
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby CDS » 09 Dec 2012, 13:29

Having really only played the Karting games, I'd have to give it this order.
1] Double Dash
2] 3DS
3] N64
4] Wii
5] DS

Double Dash took the top spot as it was, to me, the best Mario Kart game there is available [or should that be, not available any more] as it had the most amazing features, as mentioned before Mario references at every turn, and wacky races with a range of special moves for each character set.
The 3DS version had those Spotpass and Streetpass features, and physhics in turning that sort of resembled Double Dash [although everyone knows it's just the two drifting modes from Wii in one]. The customisation options were good as it meant more variety in the stats, but once you'd found the perfect options, you wouldn't be likely to swap to anything else. Also the lack a versus mode.
The N64 version had the most challenge, even at 100cc. The graphics haven't aged well, but that's understandable.
The Wii version had a good variety of tracks, introduced tricks, but the turning circle on manual was awful. And while it was good, it's not one I come back to.
The DS version has been entirely forgot about, and was bland, but still fun to play.
CDS

Postby CraigEmberson » 09 Dec 2012, 14:09

You labelled Bowsers Inside Story as a 3DS title... It's a DS title - they do not equal the same console :P
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 09 Dec 2012, 15:23

Mario Kart Wii is hands down better than 7. This list just makes you think how over used Mario is. :P
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby K-tet » 09 Dec 2012, 17:56

Mario Kart-wise: Can't argue with 7 and Wii being the top two. MK7 had the best circuit selection to date despite lacking in certain areas (no Waluigi, why the hell are Honey Queen and Metal Mario in this game), although characters like Lakitu and Wiggler were warmly received, and the new diving and gliding mechanics added some fun along the way. MKWii did customisation better than MK7, and there was a great balance of characters to boot. Bikes also get a perfect mention for hardcore competitive play. How many of you know of the Super Mario Excite Bike game that was released via the Bandai Satelleview X? No? There's your reference.

Sports-game wise: No Mario Sports Mix? That's a shame. Personally I'm not a massive fan of the sports genre but those I did play I did enjoy. Strikers Charged Football was a lot of fun, and the 3DS Mario Tennis is really good too. Good move not to count the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games though.

Puzzle-game wise: Dr. Mario is better than Picross. Those two need to be swapped round. While Mario & Donkey Kong have charm, you missed out on Yoshi's Cookie (has Mario in it), Mario & Yoshi, and while technically isn't a Mario game, Wario's Woods was a very fun puzzler in its own right. I'm not counting Tetris in this, but if we were going by Mario-character puzzlers, then Tetris Attack (Yoshi's Panel de Pon) is right at the top bar none.

Party-wise: The first one holds a special place in my heart, but I have no complaints on the select list.

As for the RPG's: Super Mario RPG in my list is at the top. Absolutely superb game from start-to-finish. Super Paper Mario hits second on that list, and M&L Bowser's Inside Story is a definite third.

Best Mario-featured spin-off however? Super Smash Bros. I'll say no more.
K-tet

Postby NintendoForLife » 09 Dec 2012, 18:12

Would anyone dare to say that the Paper Mario series is better than the main series?
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby King Slazo » 09 Dec 2012, 18:50

Yes. Because it is.

Or at least, was. Mario RPGs have gone a little downhill since the peaks of Thousand Year Door and Superstar Saga.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby pikachu101 » 10 Dec 2012, 00:29

No Mario Kart: Double Dash?? A selection of the mario party's also have to be included somewhere... :)
pikachu101 :)
pikachu101

Postby Commandervideo » 10 Dec 2012, 12:12

CDS wrote:The DS version has been entirely forgot about, and was bland, but still fun to play.

MKDS is a classic.
I pesonally think MK:DD is a horrible MK. Handling was like driving on a perma-oil slick, powersliding wasn't any better and the boost that came from it was pathetic. Giving certain items to specific characters mean't no gold mushroom and no triple shells. And co-op gave you half a job to do. Drive or items. Although MK:DD did have some of best track design, like Waluigi stadium and DK mountain. But that's all it had going for it.

Kart: MK7 and MKDS
Sports: Strikers charged football and Mario golf GBA
RPG: Mario and Luigi 3
Puzzle: Wrecking crew > Than all mario puzzle games
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 10 Dec 2012, 13:48

No Mario Kart DS?
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby thenintendoer » 10 Dec 2012, 19:42

wow onms top 2 mario kart games are my 2 least favourite in the series
thenintendoer

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 12 Dec 2012, 22:38

Herbert_Rarr wrote:
vtheyoshi wrote:No Mario Kart: Double Dash? For shame!

I have to agree. Mario Kart 7 just doesn't feel right to me: whether it's the lack of fake item boxes or the abundance of silly little ramps on grassy verges being passed off as short-cuts, I don't know. But something just isn't kosher in that game. It also feels like it's missing some of it's crucial Mario charm. In Double Dash there were Mario references all over the place, from the track names, to the obstacles to the things in the background, but Mario Kart 7 doesn't seem to have all that many in comparison. It started in this way in Mario Kart Wii with some courses only containing one or two Mario things in it - like Grumble Volcano, in which all I found were Podoboos - and has become worse in MK7.
Double Dash is by far my favourite Mario Kart game. Sure it wasn't perfect - it didn't have all that many tracks, but they were almost all excellent; the drifting system was a bit awkward, but it could really help if you knew how to properly use it; it wasn't as fun as on Wii or 3DS where you could play with any amount of other people, be it your friends or just anyone - but for me the design and novelty of Double Dash (two characters in a kart was a genius idea to add some risk/reward to the double item box collecting) made it brilliant.
It's what Mario Kart designers should look to for everything.

Mario Kart 7 just felt more realistic, I always thought that Double Dash was way too kiddy in its visuals, it was the only mario kart game to be likr this, the original, 64, 7 and Wii ones were much more realistic, but they will always be Mario games at heart.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K