Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

8 great game endings

Comment on site articles.

Re-live those moments of triumph with some of the best finales in Nintendo's history

In the early days of gaming, you were lucky if you got an ending at all. Usually it was just a perfunctory black screen saying "Now try in a harder difficulty setting!" or a heartbreakingly cruel kick back to the title screen. But some of the old games got it right, rewarding your hard work with a memorable climax and here, we're looking at some of the best game endings from yesteryear. Obvious spoiler alert.

... read more

8 great game endings

Postby shy guy 64 » 10 Dec 2012, 14:19

hang on, hasn't this article been up in the past?

im sure ive read this before
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: 8 great game endings

Postby NintendoForLife » 10 Dec 2012, 14:22

Thanks ONM. You've just spoiled eight game endings. You should have put a spoiler warning on them or something. -_-

Srsly though, Super Mario World and Zelda ALttP had the best endings by far.
NintendoForLife at your service.
NintendoForLife

Postby scouserfuller9 » 10 Dec 2012, 14:37

Zelda ALTTP has to be my favourite and most memorable ending. In its era you'd normally just see a short message for finishing and then the credits in games. Zelda ALTTP was different though. It never looked like it was gonna end!
scouserfuller9

Postby Commandervideo » 10 Dec 2012, 15:08

This article was in the mag months ago right?
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby K-tet » 10 Dec 2012, 16:29

The truly great game endings have amazing music backed to a great cut-scene. One from the NES era (or rather, Famicom) was Sunsoft's Mr. Gimmick. For such a challenging game, it had a great ending. SPOILERS: Skip to 3:38.
It must be noted that the entire game soundtrack is also absolutely incredible. One of the best uses for the RP2A03 to date.

Other great game endings for me would be both Lylat Wars and Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64 (how funny that their final reprises are in effect, virtually the exact same tune), Final Fantasy IV on the SFC, and for the comedic value, the simple yet funny ending to Solar Jetman: Hunt For The Golden Warpship.
K-tet

Postby Mew3 » 10 Dec 2012, 16:38

shy guy 64 wrote:hang on, hasn't this article been up in the past?

Is it me or are they just putting up stuff they've already had in magazines and hoping no-one will notice?
Mew3

Postby epiclink » 10 Dec 2012, 17:04

I like the ending to Super Mario 64 and loads people around my place in Bristol U.K, say that the SM64 cake is a lie.
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 10 Dec 2012, 17:07

Yeah, this was previously published in Issue 80. It's a great article nonetheless. I'm sure there are some people who have found some of those games so hard that they never got to see the endings. I'm struggling to beat Dracula myself.
However, Best Retro Game Endings may have been a better title. I mean, is Super Mario World's ending really better than, say, Professor Layton and the Curious Village? Even Luigi's Mansion had a better ending. Speaking of which, that is truely one of my favourite gaming moments, when Luigi beats King Boo and is reunited with his brother. It's quite touching.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby ThePokekid78 » 10 Dec 2012, 17:27

Mew3 wrote:
shy guy 64 wrote:hang on, hasn't this article been up in the past?

Is it me or are they just putting up stuff they've already had in magazines and hoping no-one will notice?

Definitely not just you - you would assume that with the Wii U release they would have some more articles to write, but evidently not...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby vtheyoshi » 10 Dec 2012, 17:39

How about Zangief's ending in Super Street Fighter 2?
Anyway, the best ending in any game has to be Okami's ending. I just realized that in the past few articles I've commented on, I mentioned Okami............

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby IG-42 » 10 Dec 2012, 18:27

vtheyoshi wrote:Anyway, the best ending in any game has to be Okami's ending. I just realized that in the past few articles I've commented on, I mentioned Okami............

would be even better if it our version of the game included the wonderful credit sequence
also OOT has a damn good ending
chimchar is a monkey with it's ass on fire turtwig is better
IG-42

Postby Darkblizz » 10 Dec 2012, 19:49

Neglected to mention that Yoshi's Island plays a beautiful rendition of the Super Mario Bros level clear theme right at the very end.
Darkblizz

Postby AtomAtton » 10 Dec 2012, 23:40

Pikmin 2 and Super Mario Galaxy's endings will always be my favourites.
AtomAtton

Postby toffeeman30 » 11 Dec 2012, 09:05

quite a few retro endings there. are retro game endings better than newer game endings?
toffeeman30

Postby Xikelle » 11 Dec 2012, 17:49

I found Shadow of the Colossus' final sequence impressive.
Specifically (spoilers are to be expected) That segment after Colossus 16, Malus. I know I was in-role and with the last moments, didn't give in till the last few steps by the pool.
That moment: hearing Agro's whinny...
Quite liked the ending to Bastion too.
Rock on, girl gamers.
Some of the greatest games, have some of the greatest music.
Xikelle

Postby madlink » 11 Dec 2012, 22:33

My favourite ending was definately Twilight Princess. How hot was the transformed Midna?
madlink

Postby sciqueen » 12 Dec 2012, 23:43

Okami, OOT, Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.
sciqueen