Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U sells over 300,000 in Japan

Comment on site articles.

New Super Mario Bros U is the best selling game

Wii U got off to a good start in Japan, with Nintendo shifting over 300,000 consoles in its opening weekend.

... read more

Wii U sells over 300,000 in Japan

Postby lminett » 11 Dec 2012, 11:32

Its all good news for nintendo then, i expect a lot more sales of this console at the start of next year, and when nintendo starts putting out more first party titles
Enjoy video game music and finding out about the composers? check out Ki11j0ys vault
http://www.youtube.com/user/KI11J0YSVAULT?feature=mhee
lminett

Re: Wii U sells over 300,000 in Japan

Postby K-tet » 11 Dec 2012, 12:27

Wow... I'm stunned. That's quite a shift of units. It shifted around 400K in the US in its first week, and here in the UK just a paltry 40K. Does anyone know the accurate sales figures for the whole of Europe in its first week? Multiple sources can't decide on whether it's 80K or 120K.
K-tet

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 11 Dec 2012, 14:38

Pretty solid start.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby ledreppe » 11 Dec 2012, 16:21

K-tet wrote:Wow... I'm stunned. That's quite a shift of units. It shifted around 400K in the US in its first week, and here in the UK just a paltry 40K. Does anyone know the accurate sales figures for the whole of Europe in its first week? Multiple sources can't decide on whether it's 80K or 120K.

Don't forget that the Wii U was 'supply constrained' to make it look like it was doing better by being 'sold out'. If Nintendo had supplied more units I'm sure the UK sales figure would have been higher.

You should try VGChartz.com if you haven't already, as another source.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby K-tet » 11 Dec 2012, 16:52

ledreppe wrote:Don't forget that the Wii U was 'supply constrained' to make it look like it was doing better by being 'sold out'. If Nintendo had supplied more units I'm sure the UK sales figure would have been higher.

You should try VGChartz.com if you haven't already, as another source.

Yes, I'm aware Nintendo did not manufacture enough units, but that's not the point. 300K is a staggering amount in just two days. It actually proves that the advertising campaign in Japan was far better than what it was in the West. Remember when the 3DS sold 113K units in two days in the UK alone at launch with its unreasonably high £230 price tag? The advertising was spot-on, so people bought into it. Our advertising campaigns for Wii U have been borderline lacklustre. I could genuinely do a better job and I don't have a Sales & Marketing degree.

I don't trust VGChartz as a reliable source of information. Moreover, the higher quoted sales figures were reflected from that site.
K-tet

Postby dap005 » 11 Dec 2012, 19:59

Our advertising campaigns for Wii U have been borderline lacklustre. I could genuinely do a better job and I don't have a Sales & Marketing degree.

Just by looking at the uk WiiU ad, I couldn't agree more. Compare to the wii ad campaign the WiiU ads are erm incomparable to say the least. Perhaps they should make another 'Wii want to play' style ad campaign but switch the the tag line to 'Wii want to play with U' (as one witty youtuber suggested in the comments under the original ad).
It would not only bring a sense of nostalgia to those who remember the Wii ads but it'll be able to showcase wiiu's features and games better then cheesy voice overs and crammed text on the screen.
Google Plus page for my freeware thread: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105394026066349779263
My tumblr (graphiczzz): https://dap005.tumblr.com
My main blog (musingzzz): https://danwensmusing.wordpress.com
dap005

Postby The_BAAD_Man » 12 Dec 2012, 05:08

Those are great numbers, and a promising result for Nintendo!

I'm living in South America now, and the advertising here isn't great either. Also, it's expensive.
I'll be getting my Wii U probably a year from now, when I'm back in Europe.
I'd rather move around and be, than figure out life and what it means.

My video game blog! - http://pixelbasedworld.blogspot.com
The_BAAD_Man

Postby Pyron12 » 12 Dec 2012, 18:44

K-tet wrote:Wow... I'm stunned. That's quite a shift of units. It shifted around 400K in the US in its first week, and here in the UK just a paltry 40K. Does anyone know the accurate sales figures for the whole of Europe in its first week? Multiple sources can't decide on whether it's 80K or 120K.

40K is not paltry in the UK. Considering the country's population, that's a respectable amount. Besides we aren't Nintendo Crazy like Japan is so that adds another factor.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby K-tet » 12 Dec 2012, 20:01

40K is paltry, given there are 65 million of us living on this island alone. It can be seen as respectable given the fact we're still in a recession and the price point is £30 overpriced yet again at launch, but that doesn't change the fact that 40,000 units is not a great number, and that's not factoring in stock shortages. The 3DS achieved 113K in its launch weekend alone in the UK. The Wii U sold 40K units in its launch week. Similar circumstances also factor in (the console was overpriced at launch, the country was still in a recession). The only difference was the marketing campaign for the 3DS was far better than the Wii U's marketing campaign currently is.

No matter how you slice it, 40K is, at best, reasonable, and that's a vague word all in itself.
K-tet

Postby Argenthor » 12 Dec 2012, 21:28

Pyron12 wrote:

40K is not paltry in the UK. Considering the country's population, that's a respectable amount. Besides we aren't Nintendo Crazy like Japan is so that adds another factor.

Yeh, I agree with the comment below. That is a paltry number considering how many of us live here!
Argenthor

Postby LOZanges » 14 Dec 2012, 20:54

Nintendo always sells lots in Japan in opening week/weekend, but this is just insane!
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges