Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

The best games of 2012

Comment on site articles.

What were the greatest Nintendo games of 2012? Vote for your favourite!

What a year 2012 has been. We've had an all-new Nintendo console, three new Mario games, the first ever Pokemon sequels plus the return of an old hero in Kid Icarus: Uprising. All that was missing was a new Zelda game. But what were the best games of the year?

... read more

The best games of 2012

Postby Ai64 » 13 Dec 2012, 15:14

Pokemon Black And White 2 are worthy for a handheld award. So much things to do once again. It still keeps me coming back for more pokefun. Black & White Kyurem are awsome fusions too!
Last edited by Ai64 on 13 Dec 2012, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Re: The best games of 2012

Postby roz061 » 13 Dec 2012, 15:27

How long do we have till you count the votes?
roz061

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 13 Dec 2012, 15:32

For me it was between The Last Story and Kid Icarus,but for me The Last Story just edged it for me.
Currently playing:Metal Gear Ground Zeroes
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Rio-roller » 13 Dec 2012, 15:40

surely its got to be zombiU, great storyline, perfect use of the gamepad and a multiplayer mode that beats everything iv played for along time!
3DS-FC 4398 9576 5323 NNID-Riobro
playing pokemon X, Monster Hunter 3U, Animal crossing, mario kart 7, DOA, ,
NSMB2 on 3DS
Assassins creed black flag, rayman legends, Monster Hunter 3U, zombiU, NSMBU and trine 2 on wiiU
PM me if you add me thanks
Rio-roller

Postby Yirba » 13 Dec 2012, 15:49

Sadly, I don't actually own any of these games, and therefore I'll have to abstain this year. :-(
ImageImage
Yirba

Postby monsteroushunter » 13 Dec 2012, 16:37

Kid Icarus for me, superb. I was surprised to find that vlr came second in my list though.
My friends code for 3ds is 3222-5556-4071
pm me if you add me
monsteroushunter

Postby wghtmf » 13 Dec 2012, 17:13

Yirba wrote:Sadly, I don't actually own any of these games, and therefore I'll have to abstain this year. :-(

Ditto. The only ones I have are NSMB2 and Pokémon BW2.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby Toastie » 13 Dec 2012, 17:17

I voted for Pokemon Black 2/White 2, purely because of how much time I've invested into them. The PWT was a really nice touch, and makes up for the lack of Battle Frontier.

Kid Icarus: Uprising was also great. Once I was used to the controls, it was a blast. Not only was the gameplay fast-paced and exciting, the music and script were brilliant as well.
I HAVE CHORTLES.
Toastie

Postby Commandervideo » 13 Dec 2012, 17:19

Bit Trip Complete is the best of the year :wink:, but it's not there in the list, neither is Paper Mario:Sticker star? :(

Suppose I'll go for Kid Icarus then.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 13 Dec 2012, 17:19

Kid Icarus: Uprising all the way! So good to see an old character get a new game, but this is surely the best 'comeback' in gaming history! This game might just be the greatest handheld game I have ever played! Every aspect was completly fresh and new; Storyline is the best in a Nintendo game for me, lots of twists and turns with likeable characters and funny dialouge all leading to an epic finale! Gameplay felt fast and different to any other shooter, the the controls take a while to get used to, but with the stand, the game is precise in aiming and incredibly fun. The multiplayer was exciting, and a supply of endless madness and possibility, especially with clever and silly items (like an eggplant bomb). The weapons are up there with the likes of Borderlands in terms of number and creativity, so many ways to obtain them, so many combinations to fuse them, and you can give and recieve them with streetpass and spotpass. The game is bursting with character, even the menus are fun! The game has amazing replayability, the treasure hunt objectives, multiplayer, collecting weapons, collecting powers (another great addition to the game) and just listening to the brilliant music. The soundtrack of this game should be remembered as one of Nintendo's best! I thought it was a scandal that KI:U won nothing at the Golden Joysticks, but a game doesn't need awards to be perfect, and that's what this game is to me, perfect in every way! :mrgreen:

I also thought thar Resi: Revelations is the best third-party 3DS game, and certainily the best Resi on handhelds, no question. That game has a lot of replayability too, but my vote is definetly for kid Icarus!
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Pyron12 » 13 Dec 2012, 17:33

Kid Icarus all the way for the 3DS game of the year. Why? Because Sakurai managed to revamp an old series in a new way. It was tongue-in-cheek, chaotic, good storyline and memorable characters and had plenty of variety. But the best thing? The multiplayer and weapons. Multiplayer is the best for the 3DS second only to MK7 because it is so chaotic, fun and random you never know what is going to happen next. The weapons were also greatly designed. You could fuse them, you had multiple classes so there was at least one class that worked for you and you even had weapons based on characters. Then there are the sheer number of powers that can change the game and turn the tables. There is a lot to go on about but I have explained enough. :wink:
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby faydaway » 13 Dec 2012, 17:34

Zombiu or VLR hmmmm.....
faydaway

Postby shy guy 64 » 13 Dec 2012, 17:44

i would say pokemon black 2 and kingdom hearts 3d
life, don't talk to me about life
sig was made by chocolate milk
shy guy 64

Postby RainbowGazelle » 13 Dec 2012, 17:48

As much as I loved Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, and Resident Evil: Revelations, my vote has to go to The Last Story. I can't comment on the Wii U games as I don't have a Wii U... yet...
If anyone wants to exchange Letters or play games online, my 3DS FC is: 3437-3065-1394
My Wii U NNID is: RainbowGazelle
RainbowGazelle

Postby CBTIRL » 13 Dec 2012, 17:48

Kid Icarus: Uprising is the funniest thing I have ever seen, from the only not boring tutorial to the level with Thantos, and the explanation about the ''h''. It looks amazing, the characters have loads of style, if it wasnt for the dodgy controls this would be my most favouritest game ever

whereas Zombi U is the scariest thing I have ever seen. You really do feel saddened at the death of each ''Survivor''. When I turn off the game, my hands continue shaking fot half an hour. The GamePad just feels right for Zombi U. You really are looking around you every second, you never know whats around, and I love every minute of it
Nintendo Network ID: Insert_Pun_Here
3DS FC:1461-6464-0543
PSN:conben12
Twitter:@CBennett_12
CBTIRL

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 13 Dec 2012, 17:55

I helped make the 1% that is Kingdom Hearts 3D. I thought it was an amazing game for a 3DS title. I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game in ages and It just brought me straight back in to the franchise. And the combat it the best we have ever seen in Kingdom Hearts, with the flowmotion moves. Its remarkable how this game could actually be played on 3DS. Its an amazing title.
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby CyberGW » 13 Dec 2012, 18:08

Come on Kid Icarus! Such an amazing game!
It's now just in the lead, please let it win.
I have so many happy memories of playing that game. From playing it at GAMEfest 2011, to running home from school in 3 minutes on March 22nd having heard it arrived early and then playing it to death. Laughing at the hilarious dialogue, having so much fun mashing the bosses at the end of each chapter, spending ages forging an awesome pair of Wolf Claws and finally playing online, with my friends, on a team in a tournament, and owning! And not forgetting the excitement of when the cards were released in stores as I dashed to town after school.
Such a brilliant game which has given me my motto to life:

"You gotta be upbeat, upbeat, upbeat!
Or you'll be dead meat, dead meat, dead meat!"

Good times!
Current Favourite Game: Wind Waker HD
Most Anticipated Game: MarioKart 8
Animal Crossing Dream Address: 6100-2230-3133
CyberGW

Postby HyrulianToad » 13 Dec 2012, 18:16

Kid Icarus has a brilliant script , brilliant gameplay , brilliant multiplayer and hours of fun to be had with the story with plenty of replay value. The WiiU's had a brilliant launch but this year I've by far had the most fun with Kid Icarus.
HyrulianToad

Postby reeesy » 13 Dec 2012, 18:49

Resident Evil Revelations was my favourite. Taking the series back to its roots was a brave move but it definitely paid off as this is easily my favourite Resi game in years. Looks stunning on the XL too.
Last edited by reeesy on 02 Jan 2013, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
reeesy

Postby mog96 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:04

Kid icarus, hands down
This game was perfect in every way, except at the start it took some time in trying to get use of the control, but after that it felt like second nature.This was followed by an amazing story and when you were done with that, there was so much replay value, first the amazing multiplayer combat, then getting weapons and powers, then idols, sound tracks, unlockables… argh! To many things to talk about! Trust Masahiro Sakurai to make a game with so much to do! This game for me in a long time is one of my personal favourites, the sound track is the least appreciated in almost all games, they made the character personalities unique and great. It’s sad to think that I won’t be playing a game like this again :(
mog96

Postby skyluigi » 13 Dec 2012, 19:13

For me it's Paper Mario: Sticker Star, but it's not there so I didn't vote. :(
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

Postby GuitarHero » 13 Dec 2012, 19:30

Nintendoland, surprisingly fantastic which caught me by complete surprise. Layton was close, and VVVVVV is also a great game but I don't own it on 3DS.
GuitarHero

Postby Nintendalek42 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:49

I'm voting Kid Icarus, because it was such a charming, huge, awesome, memorable game. But kudos to Rhythm Paradise for making me laugh (a lot), and providing endless silly japanese-level-crazy fun. I'm surprised Paper Mario is not on the list and NSMB 2 is, I'm playing the former at the moment, and although NSMB2 was definitely a good game, the little I've played on Paper Mario has infinitely more charm. I must admit I'm truly puzzled by this selection choice. :mrgreen:
Seriously though, NSMB2 doesn't deserve a place on the list if Paper Mario isn't on it.
Nintendalek42

Postby Waldy565 » 13 Dec 2012, 19:55

For me, it's a toss up between one I have played, and 2 I'm getting for christmas/ new year. Nintendo Land has offered what it set out to achieve, the Wii Sports of WiiU. fantastic "attractions" with LOTS of fan service, the only dissapointment being that star fox and excitebike series could have been included. Next up is Pokemon, one of the first series of games I started playing (after Sonic on my/ my cousins mega drive). B/W2 look to be THE pokemon games of all time, yet as my first region, Hoenn will always have my fave spot. Lastly, Layton. Funnily enough, my mum was more interested than I was, but that fateful day, I asked "May I have a go?" Loved the series since! And with registering a 3DSXL bagging you a free copy, cannot wait until I can use my code! Woop. Voted for Pokemon, however, as it has been with me and my best buddies almost all our life
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 13 Dec 2012, 20:07

Aww, this is difficult. I prefered last year's polls where we had to vote for a best game for each category.
Also, it's hard for me to judge this properly as like quite a few people, I haven't got a Wii U yet, nor have I got around to playing most of the games on that list. In fact, most of the games I've played this year were either from 2011 or older, including some Gamecube classics like Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.
The only game from this year I've played for a decent amount of time is The Last Story, and even that I've not finished let. Still, it has been brilliant.
I've got some cool video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble, so please check them out.
Latest Design: GURU-GURU, the Windmill Man
Don't forget about my Colors! Gallery
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Next