Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

ZombiU producer was 'disappointed with early US reviews'

Comment on site articles.

"We did not expect so harsh feedback," says Guillaume Brunier

ZombiU producer Guillaume Brunier has admitted that he was disappointed by the early US reviews for his survival horror game.

... read more

ZombiU producer was 'disappointed with early US reviews'

Postby vix_chan » 14 Dec 2012, 14:32

I haven’t got the Wii U or ZombiU yet, but it is high on my list.
I judge games for myself, and read reviews to get a better understanding of the game and it features rather than whether I would like it or not based on another persons opinion.
Playing games like Silent Hill, Project Zero or even watching most Horror movies you understand that these things are done slowly to create tension and make things play on your mind.
Another thing I found quite cynical about the American reviewers is the fact that they did not like how the game was based in London.
All the games I have played that are based in what look like American cities, suburbs, shopping malls or accent Japanese villages and I have never complained about the fabricated location of a game, if anything, it adds to a new kind of experience of a game.
It feels like they just wanted to say something bad about the game to stand out from other reviewers who were giving the game great praise.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Re: ZombiU producer was 'disappointed with early US reviews'

Postby sciqueen » 14 Dec 2012, 16:02

American gaming magazines are biased towards Microsoft and any shooting games that make the American military look good. He shouldn't worry too much.
sciqueen

Postby MarkVader » 14 Dec 2012, 17:06

The problem was that the reviewers just didn't get what the game was supposed be. They reviewed it as a shooter rather than a survival horror game. IGN even had a known Playstation fanboy review it, like that made sense :roll: . The guys at GiantBomb love the game and gave it a good review. They understand what point of the game is.
NNID: MarkVader
MarkVader

Postby Toastie » 14 Dec 2012, 17:12

sciqueen wrote:American gaming magazines are biased towards Microsoft and any shooting games that make the American military look good. He shouldn't worry too much.

Not only is that a HUGE generalisation, it simply isn't true. For instance, the 2nd highest score given to ZombiU was given by an American website.
I HAVE CHORTLES.
Toastie

Postby Argenthor » 14 Dec 2012, 18:23

MarkVader wrote:The problem was that the reviewers just didn't get what the game was supposed be. They reviewed it as a shooter rather than a survival horror game. IGN even had a known Playstation fanboy review it, like that made sense :roll: . The guys at GiantBomb love the game and gave it a good review. They understand what point of the game is.

I have to disagree. I understand that some reviewers criticised it for issues that were simply linked to it being in London (e.g. cricket bat) but certain reviews, such as IGN, had problems which had nothing to do with fanboyism. I enjoyed both the ONM review and the IGN but could understand the issues he had with the game.
Argenthor

Postby Pyron12 » 14 Dec 2012, 18:33

Not all american reviewers are biased but they expected the wrong things. Would they have said that ZombiU is worse than RE6?
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby ThePokekid78 » 14 Dec 2012, 19:09

sciqueen wrote:American gaming magazines are biased towards Microsoft and any shooting games that make the American military look good. He shouldn't worry too much.

Ah, so you have extensive knowledge of every American game reviews magazine/paper, as well as a deep understanding of the reviewer's mindsets?? Didn't think so.

My point being, you can't just make such sweeping statements like that!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby vix_chan » 14 Dec 2012, 19:31

Argenthor wrote: I understand that some reviewers criticised it for issues that were simply linked to it being in London (e.g. cricket bat)

Yeah, I remember reading about that. I was thinking to myself "how many times have I used a Baseball Bat in Dead Rising and not complained..."
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 14 Dec 2012, 21:26

Its tense, atmospheric and truly original meaning that you never actually know what might be round the next corner
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby jaco_p » 15 Dec 2012, 14:33

This game is so awesome. I work on London Underground, and it feels so good to play a game that i can actually relate to, rather than ANOTHER game set in america. You can really feel the terror and suspense in this game, i never thought that a game would top Dead Space for terror but ZombiU destroys me. I've only heard good things from those that have sat down and played with it.
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby GamerGuyN » 15 Dec 2012, 17:50

Ohh he shouldn't worry much, I mean come on most US gamers are just 1st person shooting maniacs ( that i don't actually call them real gamers) 8)
Come on people! I remember a website that said it was a 1st person shooter... :evil: ITS A STINKIN (in a gd way) SURVIVAL HORROR
...ign... why in the world would they let Greg Miller (Playstation loving gamer...and editor) write this, its on the top of almost all gamers and you let the Playstation team leader review it :shock:
GamerGuyN

Postby dave666 » 17 Dec 2012, 00:12

on the gamespot video review one of the closing statements was "zombi u could have been a great action title" :roll:
dave666