Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Top 5 Nintendo cutscenes

Comment on site articles.

Relive some memorable moments from classic games

Many Nintendo developers seem to prioritise gameplay above story telling. Indeed, earlier this year, Eiji Aonuma said that the story shouldn't stand out in a Zelda game, while it takes about 10 seconds to tell the story of a New Super Mario Bros game. However, this attitude hasn't held Nintendo back when it comes to producing some fantastic cutscenes which do a great job of telling stories. I've compiled a list of five cutscenes from relatively recent Nintendo games that really stood out to me. So get ready for explosions, implosions, disco dancing, nightmarish visions, and flashbacks. Warning! Contains spoilers!

... read more

Top 5 Nintendo cutscenes

Postby IPecksU » 14 Dec 2012, 15:30

My favourite is in Elite Beat agents before you start jumping jack flash. I get goosebumps every time I see everyone cheering for the agents.
IPecksU

Top 5 Nintendo cutscenes

Postby Commandervideo » 14 Dec 2012, 15:37

Can't agree more with the Smash Brothers, SMG and Other M scenes, epic doesn't even begin to describe the ones you mentioned. Awesome top 5!
I like the opening to Monster Hunter Tri myself and the opening/closing senes of Epic Mickey 1 are brilliant too.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Re: Top 5 Nintendo cutscenes

Postby Tamzily01 » 14 Dec 2012, 15:40

I'm surprised that The Great Invasion isn't higher on the list. Though I personally think that any of the cutscenes from the Gen V Pokemon games would be welcome additions to the selection, particularly the one where N's Castle appears.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby LBDNytetrayn » 14 Dec 2012, 15:54

Great list, I especially agree with the Brawl and Galaxy choices.
ImageImageImageImage
LBDNytetrayn

Postby lrwr14 » 14 Dec 2012, 16:32

For Metroid Other M, I would have gone for the cut scene when Adam sacrifices himself, that was an emotional scene. I also liked the ending scene, probably because Samus was wearing proper cloths for a change and it suited her.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby Pyron12 » 14 Dec 2012, 17:38

lrwr14 wrote:For Metroid Other M, I would have gone for the cut scene when Adam sacrifices himself, that was an emotional scene. I also liked the ending scene, probably because Samus was wearing proper cloths for a change and it suited her.

Agree. Adam's sacrifice was heartbreaking. You see Samus' stepfather die to save the universe. How is that not sad?
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 14 Dec 2012, 17:49

lrwr14 wrote:For Metroid Other M, I would have gone for the cut scene when Adam sacrifices himself, that was an emotional scene. I also liked the ending scene, probably because Samus was wearing proper cloths for a change and it suited her.

Yeah. That Game had some awesome cutscenes. The beginning but I always found to be a bit jarring. Just the way Samus kept saying "The Baby" brings a shiver down my spine.
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby Xenobladeperson » 14 Dec 2012, 18:16

1/10 needs more xenoblade
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby ThePokekid78 » 14 Dec 2012, 18:37

Actually a great article for once, and good choices too!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Lego master » 14 Dec 2012, 19:12

I think these are good but skyward sword has some better in my opinion, Here are 2 examples (spoilers btw)
1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12XII_urtZE
This scene is just so heartwarming, if you didn't feel like crying at the end then you have no heart...Just look at links face!!!
2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpP_ZQUA8Y
Just EPIC!!!
Lego master

Postby Zelda000 » 14 Dec 2012, 19:47

You see the best cutscene in the world is in twighlight princess when Midna uses the fused shadows on the twighlight barrier on Hyrule castle................. :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
From Like Archie Sir Epicness Of Zelda
Zelda000

Postby shy guy 64 » 14 Dec 2012, 20:50

good choices
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Waldy565 » 14 Dec 2012, 23:34

Some amazing choices - especially smash bros, only completed the Subspace a couple of weeks ago (been moving house) so that cutscene is in my mind, awesome fan service. Also, I remember the Twilight Princess *shivers*, don't want to watch again... Didn't look at F-Zero cuz I wanna do that challenege myself when I get the game, also didn't look at Mario Galaxy cuz spoilers, haven't got round to completing that either... Other M I looked at though, and it's only reconfirmed itself on my list of Wii games to get hehe
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby vtheyoshi » 15 Dec 2012, 10:11

It's amazing how powerful the SMG cut scene is, it's one of the first times that you really feel that the characters are living, thinking things. The part with Bowser on his planet/star thing always makes me feel pity. Though it still isn't as emotive as Okami's penultimate cut scene.
Tha F-Zero one is just plain weird, though it was quie funny at points. Some of the girls' cut scenes kind of turned me on........

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby LOZanges » 15 Dec 2012, 10:16

I loooooved the subspace emissary cutscenes. It's filled with a juicy plot in which you can follow your favourite characters on their journey. Buy Brawl for the SUBSPACE CUTSCENES ALONE.
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Postby wghtmf » 15 Dec 2012, 15:07

You gotta love the opening, closing and 3-second-in-between-microgames clips of 'Feline Fever' (Jimmy's first level) in WarioWare: Smooth Moves. Kittens in the street, kittens with umbrellas, kittens dancing at a disco, kittens inside bisected disco-balls, kittens doing some other stuff which I cannot remember specifically except the for the fact that it's heart-warming and hilarious.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 15 Dec 2012, 18:59

Other M's cut scenes were amazing. Literally couldn't believe it was running on the Wii
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby cthesupergenius » 16 Dec 2012, 00:00

I'm not too great at games. I love them, and play them all the time, but I don't usually get very far. One of the few I've completed is Ocarina of Time 3D, which I played on my little bro's 3DS and am hopefully getting for my birthday next month. The end of that game is my favourite cutscene. I cried the whole way through, it was so emotional! That's a bit cheesy, but there you are.
cthesupergenius

Postby Starman64O » 16 Dec 2012, 16:21

The Smash Bros. scene is fantastic!

Although due to the Game being made by Masahiro Sakurai, it comes as no surprise that he made Kirby the most badass pink blob of all time!
3DS friend code is 4596-9551-4435

'If you bully a fish on its inability to climb a tree
it will live out the rest of its life blaming itself for being incompetent'

A bit like introducing a Noob to EV training then?
Starman64O

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 17 Dec 2012, 14:20

Some of my favourite Nintnedo cutscenes come from Wind Waker.
There's the sequence where Link "infiltrates" the Forbidden Fortress - http://youtu.be/vZu2vHAHaxk?t=3m30s
Then there's the shen when Link places the orbs in the statues to reveal the Tower of Gods - http://youtu.be/MI3J0GS-veE?t=1m8s
And to show that Link isn't always getting hurt, there's this moment when Tetra learns her true identity - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbjjlJTBysA
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator