Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Top 10 cool Pokemon that aren't Legendary

Comment on site articles.

Do you agree with our cool list?

Pokemon would be a rather boring affair if absolutely everyone's team was just made up of Legendaries. Indeed, some of the most popular Pokemon in the history of the game don't have Legendary status at all: they're just cool to look at or uniquely appealing in some way. Here are 10 of the coolest Pokemons currently in the Pokedex.

... read more

Top 10 cool Pokemon that aren't Legendary

Postby Slinkington » 17 Dec 2012, 13:15

Charizard and Gyarados made it onto the list, so I am happy.
Slinkington

Re: Top 10 cool Pokemon that aren't Legendary

Postby Tamzily01 » 17 Dec 2012, 13:26

I agree with a lot of this list. Lucario is just awesome, Umbreon and Zoroark are two of my favourite Dark types (after Absol and Weavile), I have a lot of respect for Arcanine from using one in Black 2, and Charizard is...well, Charizard.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby King Slazo » 17 Dec 2012, 13:31

Not sure why Eevee's in there, its cute, not cool. And Ditto is a really werd choice. Agree with all the rest though.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby skyluigi » 17 Dec 2012, 13:37

Lucario and Zoroark!?
Right, that's it, never reading ONM again.

Only joking, of course. But I HATE those two... things.
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

Postby shy guy 64 » 17 Dec 2012, 13:50

lucario and eevee are awesome but the rest are ok i guess
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby K-tet » 17 Dec 2012, 13:53

Eevee = More cute than cool.
Umbreon = Not a cat. More a rabbit. The Eeveelutions are more rabbit-like in appearance. The closest to a cat arguably is Espeon and that looks more like a Carbuncle (which are more rabbit-like than cat-like anyway).

Charizard is cool, but a little too predictable to be at the top. Mind you, more love for Charizard won't go amiss. He needs all the love he can get given how he's fallen so hard from grace it's unbelievable for die-hard Char fans.

As for the rest of the list... The three I definitely agree on for staples are Gengar, Lucario, and Arcanine. Gengar's just class and hasn't really lost its coolness. Lucario's an excellent Pokémon overall, and who wouldn't want a Jackal that can shoot Hadouken's willy-nilly, and then there's Arcanine; quite possibly the best Dog Pokémon out there. Well-rounded usable stats, and a movepool that now benefits with Close Combat to take out any threat, and just look at how majestic he looks...

Arcanine's definitely the coolest looking in my books. No exceptions! \o/
K-tet

Postby Commandervideo » 17 Dec 2012, 14:50

7 out of the 10 are GEN1 which goes to show how darn awesome GEN1 'mon truly are. Go Arcanine!
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby lrwr14 » 17 Dec 2012, 15:22

Arcanine, along with blaziken are my favourite pokemon.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby mushroomchow » 17 Dec 2012, 15:47

Agree with all except Lucario. Lameness abounds, especially after his crappy appearence in Smash Bros. Did someone say spamming shadow ball?

Pleeeease, Mewtwo is far more badass.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow

Postby carnivine chaos » 17 Dec 2012, 15:58

mushroomchow wrote:Agree with all except Lucario. Lameness abounds, especially after his crappy appearence in Smash Bros. Did someone say spamming shadow ball?

Aura Sphere, no Shadow Ball. Secondly it's incredibly useful. If people spamming Aura Spheres at you is a problem for you then you're a bad player.
3DS: 4811-6932-4056
Avvy goes to 71 - Victreebel
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
Sir_Bowser: People on ONM aren't actual people.
carnivine chaos

Postby Mew3 » 17 Dec 2012, 16:27

mushroomchow wrote:Agree with all except Lucario. Lameness abounds, especially after his crappy appearence in Smash Bros. Did someone say spamming shadow ball?

I agree that Mewtwo is better but Lucario isn't that bad
Mew3

Postby Ai64 » 17 Dec 2012, 16:36

Too good and possible for Charizard to be no.1. It's mostly a must have too. :)
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby Twinkle » 17 Dec 2012, 16:55

I like all the pokemon shown but I really wouldn't agree completely with this list. :P :?
Twinkle

Postby Pyron12 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:18

I'd replace Ditto and Eevee with Hydreigon and Dusknoir
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby IG-42 » 17 Dec 2012, 17:38

guys garchomp exists!
chimchar is a monkey with it's ass on fire turtwig is better
IG-42

Postby vtheyoshi » 17 Dec 2012, 18:13

I approve of the inclusion of Lucario. Though you should have included Ninetails for the sole reason that it more or less appears in Okami.

Also, why haven't you put Magicarp as the coolest Pokemon????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby DynamicPunch202 » 17 Dec 2012, 19:57

I'm really annoyed Golurk isn't there. I mean, he looks like a giant robot, he's over 9 foot tall and he can fly. How is that not awesome?

But Charizard is my favourite pokemon so I'm very happy he's at the top and I really like Lucario and Arcanine as well. But still not happy about the lack of Golurk.
DynamicPunch202

Postby Xaltheron » 17 Dec 2012, 20:14

Great, even ONM has jumped on the "Gen 1 is the best" bandwagon?
I mean seriously, Eevee and Ditto are cooler than the likes of Hydreigon, Braviary, Salamance, Metagross or Tyranitar?
Still, at least Lucario and Zoroark made it, two of my favourites right there :)
Xaltheron

Postby K-tet » 17 Dec 2012, 23:42

I wouldn't say they've jumped on the "Gen 1 is the best" bandwagon (as they did concur that Gen 2 is the best upon reflection, as do many Pokémon fans that have been acquainted with the series for its 15 years so far), just in their eyes they find the Gen 1 Pokémon more cool looking. Nothing wrong with passing an opinion for all of us to discuss.
K-tet

Postby superthingymabob » 18 Dec 2012, 08:39

Eevee is overrated. It's not good as a pokemon, and Metapod wouldn't be on this list if it had 7 evolutions.
Ditto? Really? It's hard to think of that as cool.
Personally, I don't like Blastoise, but y'know, that's just me.
All the rest are fine, but I would've liked to have seen more of a spread across the generations. Gen 3 exists!
Thanks to Martinisawesome for the sig
Did you know? I have not been here for a very long time. I bet tons of exciting stuff has happened while I was gone. Hm. Maybe not.
[insert hilarious quote here]
superthingymabob

Postby Waldy565 » 18 Dec 2012, 22:24

yet another mag feature... I always preffered Espeon over Umbreon, but that's just me. Happy to see Blastoise on the list, yet I prefer Swampert/Mudkip over him. Like Lucario (especially after seeing his appearance in SSBB) and Zoroark, there cool. And Charizard, oh Charizard!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 18 Dec 2012, 22:26

K-tet wrote:and then there's Arcanine; quite possibly the best Dog Pokémon out there. Well-rounded usable stats, and a movepool that now benefits with Close Combat to take out any threat, and just look at how majestic he looks...

Arcanine's definitely the coolest looking in my books. No exceptions! \o/

You have my respect there, my friend. I can't put it better than "and then there's Arcanine, (not quite possibly but:) the BEST Dog Pokemon out there! :)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Pallaton » 13 Apr 2013, 13:40

Charizard and Arcanine are clearly the best. I just reckon the whole first generation is the best. Definitely the most original.
Pallaton