Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Worst videogame box art of 2012

Comment on site articles.

There have been some stinkers

You can't always judge a game by its cover. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 features probably the most boring box art for what is a truly explosive game. Even Boulder Dash XL 3D wasn't that bad, despite featuring the world's freakiest alien on its cover. Some, however, are a different matter. Here is the worst videogame box art of 2012.

... read more

Worst videogame box art of 2012

Postby Darkblizz » 20 Dec 2012, 14:45

I wasn't even aware that some of these had been released.
Darkblizz

Re: Worst videogame box art of 2012

Postby Kesskuron » 20 Dec 2012, 14:59

Don't really see what's wrong with a lot of these tbh

The Resi one is fine, as is Your Shape, Just Dance, Mensa, Firefighter, Fifa, MIB, Crush3d & TTT!; there's nothing wrong with any of them at all. The font on the Cats and Dogs one is pretty garish I'll give you that, but the picture itself is fine; it's going to appeal to the market it's aimed at. And the RCT3D one is massively exagerrated, hence why the track looks so skewed. Pretty sure most RCT covers have been similar.
RB profile
Super Andre: I believe that fruit and veg WANT too be eaten
Kesskuron

Postby RainbowGazelle » 20 Dec 2012, 15:09

Wow, running out of ideas much. This is the most lazy, ridiculous article I've ever read on here. Pictures of mostly decent box art with literally one sentence below them. I take it you had one or two covers you didn't like and thought, "hey, we can make an article out of this if we come up with pathetic excuses to sully good covers." Try finding some actual bad covers first.
Building up my post count in a haunted wasteland.
RainbowGazelle

Postby willz968 » 20 Dec 2012, 15:41

I'm sorry but I have to agree, this is a pretty lazy article
For the most part the box arts are fine and are by no means bad (I'll give you Firefighter 3D)
And as for "Crush3d", why is it getting bashed for "shoehorning in" a 3? The game is called "Crush 3D" - a remake of the original "Crush"
All I get is the feeling that someone saw Destructoid's article and wanted in on it, which may I add was also a lazy article composed of mostly boxart with nothing wrong
willz968

Postby OrangeRakoon » 20 Dec 2012, 16:16

I read the article, but 20 pages, really. There is one picture and barely a paragraph for every page. Please can you not combine them together and cut down on the number of pages? I get that you have more adverts seen the more pages you have, but you also need people to actually read the whole thing. I was so very close to giving up.
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator

Postby Dertdood » 20 Dec 2012, 16:29

only 2 of these were actually bad and a couple were even good

come on onm
Review of photo: Saul Iscariot's photo of man with red lightsaber has lightsaber man centered well in the photo and the red light adds definition to his cheekbones. 7/10 (Use of photo is covered by Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, Sec. 30)
Dertdood

Postby ultra_slb » 20 Dec 2012, 16:29

This article is rediculous, there are plenty of good or just ok box arts. Resi is fine, Fifa has been more or less the same for like..... forever. anyway........ Write something worth it next time :P
DIABOS 1982 - Ultras S.L.Benfica
ultra_slb

Postby Mew3 » 20 Dec 2012, 16:31

Why didn't you put more than one image and sentence on a page? Also, half those covers weren't that bad.
Mew3

Postby Pyron12 » 20 Dec 2012, 17:31

Have to disagree on at least half of them. Revelations is the best box art of 2012!
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby Lego master » 20 Dec 2012, 18:58

I think these comments are a bit harsh...
Although I like some of them and the descriptions could have been better, I still found this a fun article to read!
Lego master

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 20 Dec 2012, 18:59

Not so much the box "art", but the blood-bag packaging for Zombi U is horrible.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby faydaway » 20 Dec 2012, 19:15

I like the COD box art but I see how you could find it boring but id like to use the word simple
I also like the Professor Layton Box Arts I dont mind the puzzles on them
I love Zombiu but the box art for that is pretty horendous
faydaway

Postby evilpinkdragon » 20 Dec 2012, 19:33

Okay, seriously? One or two truly bad examples, and then just petty, irrelevant "reasons" for the rest of them, or no explanation at all. And as stated already, some genuinely great pieces of box art are here. sort it out ONM, these articles are getting embarrassing.
FC: 3583-0215-6059. PM me so I can add you back!~
Image Yadon♡
evilpinkdragon

Postby Xenobladeperson » 20 Dec 2012, 20:21

This is one of the worst articles I've read on ONM in ages.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby ThePokekid78 » 20 Dec 2012, 20:21

RainbowGazelle wrote:Wow, running out of ideas much. This is the most lazy, ridiculous article I've ever read on here. Pictures of mostly decent box art with literally one sentence below them. I take it you had one or two covers you didn't like and thought, "hey, we can make an article out of this if we come up with pathetic excuses to sully good covers." Try finding some actual bad covers first.

You literally beat me to this comment!

It just seems so lazy of them...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby TheVelvetRoom » 20 Dec 2012, 20:48

Wow, what's with the insane backlash? Sure not all of these might look terrible to you, but they're all really weak designs. I'm still shocked they managed to make a worse, even tackier Arkham City cover than the GOTY Edition.
PS Forever UK an enthusiast site for Playstation games new and old
Steam: velv
PSN: tvrsteve
TheVelvetRoom

Postby me4ndubz » 20 Dec 2012, 20:54

I actually really like the resi box art. I don't see what your problem is with it
me4ndubz

Postby Mahzes » 20 Dec 2012, 21:03

Wow, that Cats and Dogs one almost looks like it was photoshopped by a kid. D:
Mahzes

Postby sciqueen » 20 Dec 2012, 21:22

Whoa, when was Rollercoaster Tycoon released?!
sciqueen

Postby Oocoo Jr. » 20 Dec 2012, 22:30

I don't know what everyone's complaining about, I thought this was hilarious!
SnooPINGAS usual, I see!
Yes, I know 'ooccoo' is misspelt in my username.
Check out my podcast! https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/nic ... 18015?mt=2
Oocoo Jr.

Postby Crisps » 21 Dec 2012, 00:41

I see ONM is still question-mark-averse. Generally punctuation-averse, perhaps. Or, indeed, quality-averse. Poor show ONM, this is a shambles.
Fabong: Jinkies, that crazy dictator just slaughtered all the blacks!
Crisps

Postby dunc247 » 21 Dec 2012, 02:08

Oocoo Jr. wrote:I don't know what everyone's complaining about, I thought this was hilarious!

Agree. Sure it was really picky in places, and yes I disagree with *some* of the choices - but many of the details you picked up on, whether being slightly satirical or not, really made me smile.
Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer finalist: 2009, 2010
dunc247

Postby The_BAAD_Man » 21 Dec 2012, 10:29

There is some serious nit-picking going on here. I've read some pretty dodgy articles on here but this one takes the biscuit.

I'm seeing some very petty reasons all round, and the attempted humour to me just seems patronising. This is the first time I've felt the urge to complain on here. Also, the 20 page, single image per-page articles are bothering everybody :?
I'd rather move around and be, than figure out life and what it means.

My video game blog! - http://pixelbasedworld.blogspot.com
The_BAAD_Man

Postby samus_killer » 21 Dec 2012, 12:26

sciqueen wrote:Whoa, when was Rollercoaster Tycoon released?!

Back in October and it flew right under everyone's radar, mainly because it wasn't very good.

I've never seen it my local GAME or HMV, but I did see it once in Adsa.
YouTube / ProjectFalconPunch / Twitter / Nintendo Network: samus_killer / 3DS FC: 3394 3536 1884
samus_killer
ONM Moderator

Postby CDS » 21 Dec 2012, 14:09

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D was made by n-Space. What more do you expect?
I can see what ONM are getting at with some of these, but more detail into why with some of them would have been good.
CDS

Next