Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U inspired by DS: Miyamoto

Comment on site articles.

Yamauchi's vision led Nintendo to create Wii U

Shigeru Miyamoto has said that the Wii U is a result of former Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi's vision.

... read more

Wii U inspired by DS: Miyamoto

Postby shadow663 » 21 Dec 2012, 12:30

And Im glad they follow it. Its why I will continue to buy their consoles
shadow663

Re: Wii U inspired by DS: Miyamoto

Postby Darkblizz » 21 Dec 2012, 12:52

So we're going to see a WiiU Lite in about a year?
Darkblizz

Postby TwilightLink77 » 21 Dec 2012, 15:58

I have been thinking about this ever since the Nintendo Wii U released in the United Kingdom.
Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to put all of the Nintendo DS games on the Nintendo Wii U eShop eventually as we have the Wii U Gamepad which can act as the Nintendo DS touch screen with the stylus and then we also have our TV's that can act as the Nintendo DS top screen.

So Nintendo DS games could sortof work for Wii U downloadable games.
TwilightLink77

Postby tohaker » 21 Dec 2012, 18:05

Darkblizz wrote:So we're going to see a WiiU Lite in about a year?
No we won't. For the Wii we got the special edition black wii (which is still around...) - We have that as the Wii U Premium Pack. Then they removed GCN compatibility - That's already gone from the Wii U. Then they released the Wii U. There's nothing else they can really add the main console to make us pay £300 again, merely releasing various peripherals for the Gamepad and another Gamepad itself when the time is right.
tohaker

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 21 Dec 2012, 19:37

TwilightLink77 wrote:I have been thinking about this ever since the Nintendo Wii U released in the United Kingdom.
Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to put all of the Nintendo DS games on the Nintendo Wii U eShop eventually as we have the Wii U Gamepad which can act as the Nintendo DS touch screen with the stylus and then we also have our TV's that can act as the Nintendo DS top screen.

So Nintendo DS games could sortof work for Wii U downloadable games.

In theory, but the resolution of DS games is quite small so the images woudl be really blurry. Maybe something like HD remakes of DS games could work.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby GuitarHero » 22 Dec 2012, 00:54

Level 5 did not rule out the idea of porting Layton over, but it was not high on their idea list.

But yeah, it wouldn't be the best idea putting a DS game straight onto the Wii U.
GuitarHero

Postby Water Max » 04 Jan 2013, 12:29

I though that Wii U was going to be like a giant DS when I first saw ZombiU and the Nintendo Land minigame Takamaru's Ninja Castle in the E3 2011 Nintendo presentation.

I have also thought that the Wii U GamePad may be useful for Virtual Console versions of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords and Final Fantasy: The Crystal Chronicles if GameCube games are eventually released on the Virtual Console but I do remember that only two GamePads can be connect to the same Wii U at a time so they would need to find a way to substitute the other 2 Game Boy Advances if 4 players want to play such as connecting 3DSs wirelessly to the Wii U.
Water Max