Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

How to get your family into gaming this Christmas

Comment on site articles.

What you should play on the big day...

So it's Christmas time! Time to have fun, enjoy presents and eat loads and loads of cheese! But most importantly, it's the time when family really get together and once you've stuffed down the Christmas turkey and eaten a gazillion mince pies, it's time to just chill out. This is the perfect time for videogames! I know some folks (namely the parents) might say: "no, turn that off" because they think it's 'anti-social' but actually there are some great Nintendo games out right now that are perfect for all the family: kids, parents and even Grandparents. Here are some of the best ones to get everyone involved.

... read more

How to get your family into gaming this Christmas

Postby NeonTailsPrower » 23 Dec 2012, 10:42

I've never tried these games on Christmas to get the family together and saying it looks like it's not gonna here I might aswell try this out. Thanks :D
Game Series & Favourite Character from them are
Mario Bros. Yellow Toad
The Legend of Zelda Makar
Sonic the Hedgehog Tails
POKeMON ALL GRASS TYPES ( Besides Tangela lol )
Minecraft ( Since there arn't any characters I will say my fav mob ) Creeper
NeonTailsPrower

Re: How to get your family into gaming this Christmas

Postby vtheyoshi » 23 Dec 2012, 11:09

My dad does think that video games are anti-social to some extant, but he used to play Zelda until a few years ago.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby tohaker » 23 Dec 2012, 12:47

No Nintendo Land? Anyone who comes round and sees the Wii U sitting there all nice and shiny asks "Yeah it looks nice but what can we play on it?!" and I whip out the Nintendo Land disc, load up the system and watch their face turn from skepticism to intense joy and concentration! :D
tohaker

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 23 Dec 2012, 12:50

My parents are completely incompetent with video games so I guess I'll have some friends over (if they can bare the thought of playing on a Nintendo console).
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby ThePokekid78 » 23 Dec 2012, 13:32

Herbert_Rarr wrote:My parents are completely incompetent with video games so I guess I'll have some friends over (if they can bare the thought of playing on a Nintendo console).

Same with me bro!

Except...I have no friends....

Foreveralone.jpg
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Darkblizz » 23 Dec 2012, 14:07

GAWWWWNGNUM STYLE
Darkblizz

Postby adamatsu » 23 Dec 2012, 14:26

my family hate gaming and gamers they say it's a waste of time. if i suggest playing mario kart wii, i'll probably be laughed out of the kitchen. i'm 31 years old :(
adamatsu

Postby dap005 » 23 Dec 2012, 17:23

Beat the Beat rhythm paradise is proving rather popular in my house. Me and my cousin take turns to play and even my Mum and Dad can't help but shift their eyes onto the TV to see what on earth is going on. The fact that it got my non-gaming mum to want to try the game herself and my Dad to praise the game's wacky design as well as stimulating laughter to arise in the living room is quite magical.
An author/admin on: http://duoscreen.blogspot.co.uk/ A really eccentric British Chinese girl in real life.

{placeholder text for until I can be bothered to make an awesome banner/signature}
dap005

Postby LavaTwilight » 23 Dec 2012, 18:09

The little "mushroom boy" is referred to a Toad because it's short for Toadstool (which is a mushroom). :mrgreen: For me there's not better group game than Super Smash Bros, but since I 'own' every one of my family who plays against me (friends, it's a different matter) then no one wants to play. Mario Kart is always fun but one of my favourites has been and always will be pretty much ANY Mario Party game.
LavaTwilight

Postby K-tet » 23 Dec 2012, 21:51

I tend to host a variety of gaming during a Christmas time. I guess it helps when the main gaming contingent of the family are intermediate at worst. Plenty of competition too. I have a feeling this year NSMBU's going to get a lot of usage, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I ended up setting up the Nintendo 64 for Lylat Wars and Goldeneye respectively, as well as setting the Wii up again for both Smash Melee and Mario Kart Wii. They always get plenty of play, and always spark fierce competition before pudding.

It's going to be a good Christmas, that's all I can say.
K-tet

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 23 Dec 2012, 23:31

LavaTwilight wrote:The little "mushroom boy" is referred to a Toad because it's short for Toadstool (which is a mushroom). :mrgreen:

Nah... :O
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby jaco_p » 24 Dec 2012, 01:36

Herbert_Rarr wrote:
LavaTwilight wrote:The little "mushroom boy" is referred to a Toad because it's short for Toadstool (which is a mushroom). :mrgreen:

Nah... :O

I reckon it's because, in centuries past, royals and well to do people had retainers and servants who were sometimes reffered to as toadies. Since toad does the same job for Peach, i would say that's where his name comes from and they just put a Toadstool on his head to tie it together. Clearly i'm no expert so if anyone wants to smash that myth for me, feel free.

This Christmas, i will mostly be playing Nintendoland.
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby Waldy565 » 24 Dec 2012, 20:26

Herbert_Rarr wrote:My parents are completely incompetent with video games so I guess I'll have some friends over (if they can bare the thought of playing on a Nintendo console).

Here here friend! Maybe parent(s) will not understand, but I understand where you come from with friends, me being the only one in my friendship group W/O a 360... But, 2 of my mates really liking the look of WiiU, so come next Xmas with more money, we'll be playing Nintendo Land, yes a year late, but, y'know... ;)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565