Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

The best videogame box art of 2012

Comment on site articles.

Our top Nintendo cover art of the year

We revealed our worst videogame box art of the year last week but now it's time to focus on the positive as we look at some of the best Nintendo cover art of 2012. Now it's probably fair to say that modern box art isn't as good as cover art from the SNES era (some of the old Mario covers were amazing) but there have been some crackers this year. Let's take a look at some of our favourites from the past 12 months.

... read more

The best videogame box art of 2012

Postby Messi97 » 24 Dec 2012, 14:16

The Last Story is the best box art for me. Simple yet stylish, unlike most of the others, it grabs my eye the most.
Please, just call me Ash. I tweet here.
Known to King Slazo as "Mr I HATE GOOD WRESTLERS Harrison"
JACKANAPES is the man.
Messi97

Re: The best videogame box art of 2012

Postby Commandervideo » 24 Dec 2012, 14:41

Paper Mario for me, it's up there with Kirbys Epic Yarn artwork.
I really like the "foamy" texture on the characters for sticker stars cover.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby wikiisthecutest » 24 Dec 2012, 15:01

Page 4

SPOILERS

I think the box art for VLR is a spoiler... I was browsing a forum the other day, pondering the ending, when someone proposed that the box art is spoilerific as his hair is grey (y'know, 'cause he's... 67? With a 22 year old consciousness...) They then had a discussion about if it was the lighting before it was decided that it was not the lighting and that they had a massive spoiler on the box art.
If I acknowledge that my signature is useless, it's funny. So consider it done.
wikiisthecutest

Postby shy guy 64 » 24 Dec 2012, 16:51

i do like the pokemon and kingdom hearts ones
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby ThePokekid78 » 24 Dec 2012, 19:31

Ok, so this isn't quite as lazy as the 'Worst Box Art' article, but there are still far too many choices in there - at least make it a Top 5 or 10, ONM!

I (and I'm sure many others) can never be bothered to go through 20 pages of brief content...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Xenobladeperson » 24 Dec 2012, 21:06

The ZombiU box art was awful, it should be in the other thread.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 24 Dec 2012, 22:11

Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D was one of my favourites this year with its stylish and moody monochome effect. (http://edgecast.lvlup-files.buscafs.com ... large.jpeg)
Also, the Back to the Future the Game boxart does an awesome job of recreating the original film poster in the game's art style. (http://greleases.com/bg_bilder/back-to- ... boxart.jpg)
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Messi97 » 25 Dec 2012, 00:17

I have to say, Martin, those are indeed better than most of the choices in the original set...
JACKANAPES is the man.
Messi97

Postby Piplup » 25 Dec 2012, 01:35

I agree, Zombi U's boxart was just awful. I personally thought Project Zero 2 had the best boxart this year, but it wasn't even on the list, much better than some of the bog standard stuff here.
No longer a workplace sex criminal.
Piplup

Postby singlesaviour » 26 Dec 2012, 10:22

I really love the Kingdom Hearts cover - simple and understated but also quite dreamy.
singlesaviour

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 27 Dec 2012, 14:36

I have to agree with the Epic Mickey,The Last Story,and Pandora's Tower box-art,but the ZombiU one is terrible.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 28 Dec 2012, 00:06

Where's the Rayman Origins 3DS boxart? Or the Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask box art?
Dalekbuster523

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 28 Dec 2012, 12:24

Dalekbuster523 wrote:Where's the Rayman Origins 3DS boxart? Or the Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask box art?

1) Rayman Origins was released in 2011.
2) Miracle Mask was already included in the Worst box art of 2012 list. It'd be a bit contradictory if it was here too.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 29 Dec 2012, 22:48

MartinIsAwesome wrote:
Dalekbuster523 wrote:Where's the Rayman Origins 3DS boxart? Or the Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask box art?

1) Rayman Origins was released in 2011.
2) Miracle Mask was already included in the Worst box art of 2012 list. It'd be a bit contradictory if it was here too.

1. The 3DS version was released this year. The other versions in 2011. So the 3DS boxart should count.
2. The Miracle Mask boxart isn't bad,though. It's fantastic.
Dalekbuster523

Postby Messi97 » 30 Dec 2012, 01:12

Dalekbuster523 wrote:It's fantastic.

This is ONM, only a certain Mr Castle knows fantastic (Yes, I am referring to Wispa Golds, here). Therefore, if he had anything to do with that list, it completely invalidates this.
JACKANAPES is the man.
Messi97