Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U games of 2013

Comment on site articles.

What Wii U games we're most looking forward to

With 24 games released in one day, the Wii U launch has to be one of Nintendo's best ever but what's next? Thankfully, Nintendo look set to continue the momentum with some more great Wii U games in 2013. Here is our top ten most wanted...

... read more

Best Wii U games of 2013

Postby Retrogamerdude » 28 Dec 2012, 10:20

I would have to disagree with the number 1 choice as I played Rayman origins and although very nice level design i found it very Samey and repetitive. Not a patch nsmb wii or u.
Retrogamerdude

Re: Best Wii U games of 2013

Postby shy guy 64 » 28 Dec 2012, 11:33

id say pikmin 3 is what im looking forward to the most
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 28 Dec 2012, 12:01

I have to agree with retrogamerdude. I know you guys on the mag are loving Rayman Legends but when I played a demo a few months ago it left me a bit cold. Since then I've had anoth chance to try it but got the same feeling from it. Aesthetically, it is brilliant and the music was great, but I just didn't find it fun at all.
The rest of the list looks pretty sweet though (althoguh Injustice and Aliens won't be on my personal shopping list).
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby JaySuthEFC » 28 Dec 2012, 12:22

I hope there will be more AAA games released at some point next year, fingers crossed
Wii U I.D: JamesS89
Feel free to add!
JaySuthEFC

Postby Mmmyeah » 28 Dec 2012, 14:21

shy guy 64 wrote:id say pikmin 3 is what im looking forward to the most
Yeah, I have to agree with that. Rayman Legends looks great but I have been looking forward to Pikmin 3 for so long now and it is almost here! I can't wait!

When I got a Wii U my thinking was that while ZombiU looked really good (and I am still enjoying playing it) I really wanted the console so that I could play Pikmin 3. And of course the inevitable Zelda and 3D Mario games that are on the way, along with Smash Bros. and the really exciting third party games we can look forward to.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby epiclink » 28 Dec 2012, 15:33

Pikmin 3, Scrbblenauts Unlimited and Injustice Gods among us!
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby King Slazo » 28 Dec 2012, 16:12

Retrogamerdude wrote:I would have to disagree with the number 1 choice as I played Rayman origins and although very nice level design i found it very Samey and repetitive. Not a patch nsmb wii or u.

Confirmed insane. Rayman Origins was the platformer of this generation. More originality, better design, better soundtrack, better artstyle and better multiplayer than any other 2D platformer, and arguably any platformer of the last generation fullstop. NSMB is mediocre (not even in comparison, the series is just so pitifully average by Nintendo's once lofty standards).

Legends is still the only reason I'd ever consider buying a Wii-U. Pikmin 3 I'm on the fence about, has the potential to be great but... this is the modern Nintendo we're talking about...
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby dave666 » 28 Dec 2012, 16:55

for me it's injustice gods among us and ken's rage 2. Obviously I can't wait for zelda and mario HD,and I really,really want ports of RE6 and DOA5.

And please HVS software if you can hear me get busy on conduit 3

And sega if you can hear me I NEEEEEEEED VIRTUA FIGHTER 6
dave666

Postby Xenobladeperson » 28 Dec 2012, 17:11

Wonderful 101 higher on the list than MH3U.

What's wrong with you, ONM?
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby shadowlugia101 » 28 Dec 2012, 17:28

am i the only one that thinks rayman legends is overrated? i mean, yeah the art style is nice but i didn't like the controls and the characters. it just felt like all this hype it's got left me underwhelmed
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 28 Dec 2012, 18:29

injustice gau - lego city - alien's cm and pikmin 3 all day 1 for me , the rest not so sure about ?
5OUNDWAVE

Postby 08boatfg » 28 Dec 2012, 19:21

i'm sorry, but jak and daxter is at least on par with mario...
08boatfg

Postby WOLFENFTW » 28 Dec 2012, 22:33

Origins was a good game but it was no where near as good as the other Rayman games. Rayman's real come back needs to be a Rayman 3 style platformer, only longer. That said I'm really looking forward to Legends, think it has lots of potential.
Sonic and Star Fox, the two greatest game series of them all.
Shadow the Hedgehog and Wolf O' Donnell FTW!!!
Crossover anyone?
WOLFENFTW

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 28 Dec 2012, 22:37

For me Pikmin 3 is one of the main reasons I bought the Wii U. Nintendo Land is very fun and I even enjoy some of the lower rated attractions (Octopus Dance is quirky and at least a little satisfying). I'm getting Rayman Legends and waiting for word on MK Wii U and SSB4.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby lifetimegamer » 29 Dec 2012, 01:15

Can't say a lot of that list is jumping out at me to be honest (don't get me wrong, they look fun but I doubt they will hold my attention). Hopefully Aliens ends up being great as I'm a huge fan of the movies, while Game and Wario will no doubt be a lot of fun at parties. The highlight for me however is Rayman Legends which is shaping up to be the greatest platformer of all time at this rate :D
lifetimegamer

Postby monthehoops64 » 29 Dec 2012, 11:08

Why did Bayonetta 2 not make this list?
monthehoops64
monthehoops64

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 29 Dec 2012, 15:04

King Slazo wrote:
Retrogamerdude wrote:I would have to disagree with the number 1 choice as I played Rayman origins and although very nice level design i found it very Samey and repetitive. Not a patch nsmb wii or u.

Confirmed insane. Rayman Origins was the platformer of this generation. More originality, better design, better soundtrack, better artstyle and better multiplayer than any other 2D platformer, and arguably any platformer of the last generation fullstop. NSMB is mediocre (not even in comparison, the series is just so pitifully average by Nintendo's once lofty standards).

Legends is still the only reason I'd ever consider buying a Wii-U. Pikmin 3 I'm on the fence about, has the potential to be great but... this is the modern Nintendo we're talking about...

What is it with people saying that Nintendo is terrible nowadays, this is the same Nintendo that made Mario Galaxy 1&2, Smash Bros. Brawl, Skyward Sword, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus: Uprising! You can trust them!
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 29 Dec 2012, 15:07

08boatfg wrote:i'm sorry, but jak and daxter is at least on par with mario...

It's a brilliant platformer, but it's definetly not better than Mario i'm afraid.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby King Slazo » 29 Dec 2012, 15:18

3DSRulesO.K wrote:What is it with people saying that Nintendo is terrible nowadays, this is the same Nintendo that made Mario Galaxy 1&2

I'll give you those.

3DSRulesO.K wrote:Smash Bros. Brawl

Far inferior to Melee.

3DSRulesO.K wrote:Skyward Sword

Yeah you can have that one too although I know some people would argue about it not being as good as OoT, MM or WW.

3DSRulesO.K wrote:Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kid Icarus: Uprising!

Not played either, although I have DKCR lying around somewhere.

But then you look at the NSMB series (all mediocre), the new Paper Mario (disappointment of the year), SM3DL (again, not a patch on any of the other 3D Marios), MK7 (outclassed by MKDS), Super Pokémon Rumble (repetitive as hell)... yeah, Nintendo haven't been on top form as of late. They can make good games, its just a lot more hit and miss than the old Gamecube days.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Pyron12 » 29 Dec 2012, 15:38

King Slazo wrote:
3DSRulesO.K wrote:Smash Bros. Brawl

Far inferior to Melee.

There are quite a few people willing to disagree (myself for example).
[quote=King Slazo]
3DSRulesO.K wrote:Skyward Sword

Yeah you can have that one too although I know some people would argue about it not being as good as OoT, MM or WW.
But then you look at the NSMB series (all mediocre), the new Paper Mario (disappointment of the year), SM3DL (again, not a patch on any of the other 3D Marios), MK7 (outclassed by MKDS), Super Pokémon Rumble (repetitive as hell)... yeah, Nintendo haven't been on top form as of late. They can make good games, its just a lot more hit and miss than the old Gamecube days.[/quote]
MK7 is much better for online play but outclassed in single player (so you are half right with that statement). SM3DL is the best Mario game on the 3DS and I agree with the SPR statement. PMSS is unique and good but calling it the disappointment of the year is harsh and all but the first game in the NSMB series were mediocre. Some people are being too harsh about the controls for SS and SMG2 is just overrated.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby TheVelvetRoom » 29 Dec 2012, 18:49

If only Scribblenauts wasn't pushed back. I'm just bitter still that I can't even play my purchased PC copy. It's bad enough we're still suffering region locking in this day and age.
PS Forever UK an enthusiast site for Playstation games new and old
Steam: velv
PSN: tvrsteve
TheVelvetRoom

Postby carnivine chaos » 29 Dec 2012, 21:16

Hurr durr Wii Fit is first party herp da derp Wii Fit U GON BE BESS GAM EVAR omg so good doin boring casual crap thats wut fun gamz r all abowt.

But otherwise I agree with Rayman Legends being number 1; The demo was great, the gameplay was fantastic like the original (don't fix what isn't broken, right?), the graphics were beautiful, the exploration is still there, finding all the extras, etc., I can see this being an amazing game, not just in the Rayman series, but games in general.
Avvy goes up to #071 - Victreebel
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
Sir_Bowser: People on ONM aren't actual people.
carnivine chaos

Postby sonicka » 30 Dec 2012, 10:44

Rayman Legends is bliss. It gave me a good feel for the real potential of the Wii U during my playtime with the Demo. A shame the guys watching me play were more surprised by how well the Graphics looked "for a Wii game".

Only thing is, despite it being a Nintendo Wii U exclusive (currently) I am still left incredibly disappointed that I'll never get to play this title for a few years until I finally bag myself the console. I'm still holding out for a multi-platform release later on down the line (you don't need to tell me it won't happen, I've heard - but you also know what companies are like). There's no doubt that the Wii U specific gameplay features make Rayman Legends mechanics feel fresher, but a stripped down port of those features can't do to much harm. I just wants to play my sequel to Origins in whatever manner possible.

To those saying Rayman Origins is not as good as the other Rayman games are also insane. I like to think Origins is what Ubisoft wanted to do with the Original Rayman, because the ideas are there - the art-style is still insane, but the controls and level design are well off. We know Rayman 2 was a great game, it's been ported 20 times, we know. But Rayman 3 should serve as a fine example of why they shouldn't go back to 3D Rayman games. Heck, they even abandoned Rayman 4 themselves halfway through development turning it into the Rabbids franchise instead. So I think it was marvelous for them to revisit their roots with newfound skills.

And to those saying Nintendo are still playing their A game? - They're not, they're sitting comfortably on the B Bench currently. Which is a shame. I'm was actually more surprised they didn't do for NSMBU what the Rayman team have worked on with their title considering it's their launch software for their own console. It's sort of shocking really - then again, it's not like any of the NSMB series have exactly set a standard. It's not the 1990's anymore Nintendo, we've moved on and you know you can do so much more too. Galaxy and Skyward Sword have proved you can actually achieve something with effort, so why not pour some love into your other franchises instead of taking the lazy "ain't broke don't fix" approach?
Sig Coming one day =)
sonicka

Postby BattleGooseUK » 30 Dec 2012, 11:34

Hmm, no Super Smash Bros? ... Hopefully NOT a 2014 release :(
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK

Postby ultra_slb » 30 Dec 2012, 11:59

Monster Hunter for me.

Lego, and Wii Fit, seriously?..

Hopefully we will start to see some epic games on Wii U.. Like GTA V for example.
I just hope the Wii U library doesn't go the same way the Wii did, we only had good games if they were Nintendo exclusives or just one or two really good games every 3/4 months.
DIABOS 1982 - Ultras S.L.Benfica
ultra_slb

Next