Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best 3DS games of 2013

Comment on site articles.

It promises to be a cracking year for Nintendo's handheld

We've already covered the best Wii U games of 2013 but arguably there are more exciting games confirmed for release on 3DS in the next 12 months. Of course, Nintendo will be working hard behind closed doors on Wii U games and there are many more revelations to come at E3, but right now the 3DS line-up is looking pretty exciting. Here are the best 3DS games that we can't wait to play.

... read more

Best 3DS games of 2013

Postby Kesskuron » 30 Dec 2012, 12:29

As much as I want it, there's no way we'll get MH4 next year
RB profile
Super Andre: I believe that fruit and veg WANT too be eaten
Kesskuron

Re: Best 3DS games of 2013

Postby CDS » 30 Dec 2012, 12:58

Animal Crossing New Leaf.
That's it for definitely want. However, I might look into some of the others.
CDS

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 30 Dec 2012, 13:31

Just Luigi's Mansion 2 for me. All the rest of my money is going on my Wii U.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby King Slazo » 30 Dec 2012, 13:33

I'll be picking up Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, any other 3DS games I'll just play by ear.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby kirlia trainer » 30 Dec 2012, 13:35

I look forward to play Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing! :D

But what about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity? :)
I want to be a Pokémon master, I want to be a hero like Link. Want to eat like an Yoshi, what to you think?
kirlia trainer

Postby mirnkaya » 30 Dec 2012, 13:51

The new Animal Crossing is really brilliant - so much additions that "tweaking the town" and "managing every aspect of your home" is really only scratching the surface (which, even 140 hours and so deep I am still far from uncovering myself). Here are some of the great new features which I haven't seen mentioned much in previews thus far:

*SPOILERS ahead*

*You can buy KK's discs in the store. Those are now a physical object you can also display (not only listen to) in your room or hang on the walls.
* There is a trophies/achievement system in place for things like gardening and fossil/bugs collecting
* You can play as your own mii
* Plenty of free new items - in the form of DLC - are handed out periodically by Nintendo
* at winter you can build various kinds of snow men (and women), each with its own features (and presents)
* at Christmas eve you can volunteer to do Santa's job (which apparently is much more challenging than you might first think...)
* there are plenty of multi-players and single-player mini games at the never-ending-summer island (which has its own currency and daily changing merchandize for you to collect and manage). They have difficulty levels and the assortment changes daily
* you're not the only creature coveting the fruit of the sea (which you dive to get in a sort of a mini game)...
* the haniwa (those strange cylindrical shaped objects you unearth sometimes instead of fossils) have actual musical use in this game
* a special gardening store offers not only trees and other plants (yes - there are also shrubs and bushes now) but also some gardening services
* you can use the 3ds play coins (the ones you get when strolling with your system in the "real world") to buy fortune cookies, which you can than exchange for special Nintendo in-game memorabilia like a model of the new flying Mario Kart
* putting on any of the specially themed Nintendo clothes (e.g. Link's hat) is accompanied by a proper sound effect

and the list goes on and on...
mirnkaya

Postby vtheyoshi » 30 Dec 2012, 14:09

I'm really looking forward to the Monster Hunter games.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby GuitarHero » 30 Dec 2012, 14:54

You linked the wrong trailer on the AC:New Leaf section, by the way.

Layton and Animal Crossing would probably be top, since it's Hershel Layton's final adventure and will hopefully look to go out on a bang. Animal Crossing looks like it improves on the current best, LGTTC, so should be great.
GuitarHero

Postby TenTen » 30 Dec 2012, 15:20

I'm most looking forward to Fire Emblem, it looks awesome. New Leaf looks amazing too.
TenTen

Postby Ai64 » 30 Dec 2012, 15:29

So many games to look forward to, but I still can't wait for Fire Emblem: Awakening.
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby skyluigi » 30 Dec 2012, 16:21

2013 is going to be the year of the 3DS. Of course, that doesn't mean Wii U won't have its share of success, especially with Pikmin 3.
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

Postby ThePokekid78 » 30 Dec 2012, 16:30

Forget all of these games, on January the 8th we're getting 'big' Pokemon news!!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Waldy565 » 30 Dec 2012, 17:19

Yeha, you're right there ONM, 3DS is more of an exiting line up, the games that are avaliable and me having a 3DS being the reasons haha! AC:NL and maybe MH4 I'll be getting for my birthday, and Luigi's Mansion or LEGO City:Undercover (assuming we're still getting a 3DS version, seeming as info on the 3DS version is low) I will be getting on release. Also both games with Layton in are high on my list, and I may dip into Castlevania, hardly played any of the series. Played a port of the original on my GBA and played Rondo of Blood on my Wii, heard the DS game was good though
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 30 Dec 2012, 17:22

ThePokekid78 wrote:Forget all of these games, on January the 8th we're getting 'big' Pokemon news!!

Wow, yes we are, forgot all about that and only heard about it yesterday haha! So close as well man, and I've only just started my White 2 journey. Maybe more facts on the latest mystery dungeon, and me and my mates are hoping for a Hoenn re-release!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Komodo_Wolfgang » 30 Dec 2012, 18:32

"Best games of 2013" Been time traveling again? I love it how 'Best of' things are always a year infront.
None of these games are out yet (here atleast), and there still could be some hidden gems that could beat some of them.
I feel "Most Anticipated 3DS games of 2013" would me more ideal.
Expect animal pirate battles which can only be a good thing
Uhm... not necissarily. Theres been a few games that seem to have great ideas behind them turn out rubbish.Yes the whole thing looks like it could be good. But we saw no gameplay whatsoever. Makes me curious but not excited. On a side note, That looks more like a blue swallow or something >.> Penguins have flippers ;D
Speaking of exciting games
Kesskuron wrote:As much as I want it, there's no way we'll get MH4 next year

Agreed.
Im also uneased by the lack of any sort of date above 3DS' version of MH3.

Animal Crossing New Leaf was the main reason I got a 3DS, on release. I just hope I can get a replacement one in time.
Also, why is the video of hydroventure and not AC?

Animal Crossing and the Monster Hunter games are my must haves.
My Animal Crossing New Leaf Tumblr! http://oakwoodnl.tumblr.com/
3DS:4141-2043-8010
DreamCode:7500-2191-1369
NID; Komodo_Wolfgang
Wiitabix wrote:I still feel we haven't seen the best of the Wii U yet, no where near.
Komodo_Wolfgang

Postby Kirby8 » 30 Dec 2012, 18:38

I'm most looking forward to AA5 and Layton Vs. Wright, followed by Layton 6. Also can't wait from Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion 2! Going to be a great year!!
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby K-tet » 30 Dec 2012, 19:08

Let's see...
New Leaf? Probably not. Bigged up Nintendo game with huge success in Japan yes but, I'll pass.
Luigi's Mansion 2? Possibly. I enjoyed the first on the Cube, plus the fact that the original was going to be a 3D game if it were financially feasible back then definitely keeps me curious.
Monster Hunter 4? I'll be surprised if it surfaces this year. I strongly doubt this. If it does, fair play, but no, MH3U on Wii U kills off such an investment. On that subject, unless MH3U on 3DS comes as a free download via a cross-promotional deal, then no dice.
Fire Emblem Awakening? Yes. Been waiting for this for a while. April beckons.
Ace Attorney 5? Yes! I do love me an Ace Attorney game.
Layton 6? Not really. I don't dislike the Layton games, but I'm not a fan of them.
Layton VS Ace Attorney? This needs no dispute. I think this will be a serious contender for critical acclaim across the board.
Castlevania? I'll see. Not sure if I can stretch my budget to that, likewise for King Of Pirates, although that seems a more certain investment for me.

No, the one you clearly missed was Mystery Dungeon, and I would spend New Leaf money on it.
K-tet

Postby TheVelvetRoom » 30 Dec 2012, 20:07

What have you guys got against Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Pretty much the one game next year I'd buy a 3DS for.
PS Forever UK an enthusiast site for Playstation games new and old
Steam: velv
PSN: tvrsteve
TheVelvetRoom

Postby amelia_e » 30 Dec 2012, 21:17

I will definitely be getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out, I've been waiting for that since it was announced. I'm really hoping that Bravely Default Flying Fairy gets localized, I will have to keep my fingers crossed.
amelia_e

Postby epiclink » 30 Dec 2012, 22:06

Looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2!
EPICLINK! IT'S LINK BUT MORE EPIC!

THINKS HE FOUND TOTAKA'S SONG ON BRAWL

but he doesn't know if he's RIGHT or WRONG.
epiclink

Postby fisher2007 » 30 Dec 2012, 23:12

getting Animal Crossing New Leaf when it comes out.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

3DS FC is 0130-1987-2452 If you add me then please PM me
fisher2007

Postby shy guy 64 » 30 Dec 2012, 23:35

id say luigi's mansion and layton vs wright are what im looking forward to the most
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby shy guy 64 » 30 Dec 2012, 23:38

mirnkaya wrote:The new Animal Crossing is really brilliant - so much additions that "tweaking the town" and "managing every aspect of your home" is really only scratching the surface (which, even 140 hours and so deep I am still far from uncovering myself). Here are some of the great new features which I haven't seen mentioned much in previews thus far:

*SPOILERS ahead*

*You can buy KK's discs in the store. Those are now a physical object you can also display (not only listen to) in your room or hang on the walls.
* There is a trophies/achievement system in place for things like gardening and fossil/bugs collecting
* You can play as your own mii
* Plenty of free new items - in the form of DLC - are handed out periodically by Nintendo
* at winter you can build various kinds of snow men (and women), each with its own features (and presents)
* at Christmas eve you can volunteer to do Santa's job (which apparently is much more challenging than you might first think...)
* there are plenty of multi-players and single-player mini games at the never-ending-summer island (which has its own currency and daily changing merchandize for you to collect and manage). They have difficulty levels and the assortment changes daily
* you're not the only creature coveting the fruit of the sea (which you dive to get in a sort of a mini game)...
* the haniwa (those strange cylindrical shaped objects you unearth sometimes instead of fossils) have actual musical use in this game
* a special gardening store offers not only trees and other plants (yes - there are also shrubs and bushes now) but also some gardening services
* you can use the 3ds play coins (the ones you get when strolling with your system in the "real world") to buy fortune cookies, which you can than exchange for special Nintendo in-game memorabilia like a model of the new flying Mario Kart
* putting on any of the specially themed Nintendo clothes (e.g. Link's hat) is accompanied by a proper sound effect

and the list goes on and on...

having read the "spoilers" all i can say is AWESOME

p.s. apologeis for the double post
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Best 3DS games of 2013

Postby MangoMutt2 » 31 Dec 2012, 00:31

I deffentily want animal crossing! ill deffentily check out other games, of to GAME tomorrow!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MangoMutt2

Postby Combusken » 31 Dec 2012, 04:39

The only 3DS games that interest me so far for 2013 are Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Layton vs Phoenix Wright and Ace Attorney 5: Phoenix Wright 4 (since AA5 is the fourth Ace Attorney game to star Phoenix Wright as the main character).
Combusken

Next