Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo 2013 wish list

Comment on site articles.

Metroid and F-Zero are on Marc Zablotny's wish list...

So here we are, at the start of another year. I'm sure you're all still busy enjoying the masses of chocolates and treats you received over the holiday period, or, like me, only just finishing the leftovers of a very ill-advised 18 pound turkey.

... read more

Nintendo 2013 wish list

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 01 Jan 2013, 14:06

This article contains an excess of Win.
JoeOdranDoran

Nintendo 2013 wish list

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 01 Jan 2013, 14:14

The metriod facts were really interesting and I think that we should see Majoras Mask 3D, I doubt we will get a new zelda game. But I could agree with the last bit. Nintendo haven't re-released pokemon on the e-shop because it is impossible to complete the pokedex because you cannot trade. So why don't you let people trade and then release it on e-shop, it will sell by the bucket load. In a way I also hope that Nintendo just confirm more games and show us more trailers for upcoming games in 2013. Its hard to explain but when we look at the line up for this year we dont have much to look forward to pass the spring because we simply have no idea what is coming up and if it is looking any good or not.
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Nintendo 2013 wish list

Postby Baker1000 » 01 Jan 2013, 14:15

I second the need for a better Virtual Console. What really bugs me about the Wii VC, is that it seems after WiiWare started, thy took it as a reason to slow down the classic game releases. Wasn't there a point when it was literally one week we'd get VC games, and next week it would be WiiWare, then back to VC the week after? I don't have much interest in WiiWare TBH. I know I might be missing out on some great games, but I've always been into first party titles more than third party. I probably only have about 10 or so non-Nintendo games and most of those are Sonic. I don't understand why Nintendo couldn't release VC and WiiWare at the same time in that period.

And as for the 3DS VC, why haven't there been more 3D classics released? When they first started it was pretty month a monthly thing. 3rd week of every month, bang you could expect a 3D classic. What happened to those? I wish they'd make more, because it gives people a reason to buy a game they've probably already got on the Wii VC.
Baker1000

Re: Nintendo 2013 wish list

Postby hannahmay » 01 Jan 2013, 14:18

I want the new animal crossing to come out!
hannahmay

Nintendo 2013 wish list

Postby K-tet » 01 Jan 2013, 14:21

Five things I want Nintendo to do:

1. Unification of the Nintendo Network ID to include Wii U, 3DS, and Wii hardware - Why? No-one should have to pay full price to download a game they have already bought for another Nintendo hardware device they own. For example, Virtual Console games would benefit from this. If I bought Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels on my Wii, I should be able to download it for free on my 3DS without paying full price again. It would be dead easy to implement. The NNID owner registers their 3DS and Wii Console Codes. Alongside that, all purchase history can also be linked to their Club Nintendo Account. Simple idea in theory right?

2. Use Nintendo Network ID's as legal ID when accessing data on the eShop - We do not live in Germany, and despite there being German Youth Protection laws in place, they do not apply to customers outside of Germany. Germany does not govern the European Union, and there was none of this debacle in the first place. Compromises can be made, and we as a territorial region hate being shafted because of setbacks like this. It seems to many that due to these laws, Nintendo (and Germany) do not trust their consumers in terms of their age, and that's a big minus. We know how old we are, and NNID's force you to put in your date of birth. Yes you can falsify that, but once you've created your account, that's it, you can't change your Date of Birth details. Failing that, Nintendo should split their eShop servers across the whole of the European Union. They already have HQ's in other European countries (such as here in the UK), and it wouldn't cost them too much to do either.

3. Bring out the big guns - Wii's had its swansong last year with two absolutely awesome games in The Last Story and Pandora's Tower. We're expecting Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 on the Wii U front, but with last year being more a transitional year in the gaming industry with very few super-selling blockbusters compared to 2010 and 2011, it's been the indie devs that have wowed us the most. The 3DS is beginning to snowball in popularity with many getting one over this past Christmas period so this year can be Nintendo's year to capitalise and lay not only a solid foundation for the Wii U, but also force Sony and Microsoft into pre-emptive gestures. Also, bring out the full-library of Virtual Console games from Wii onto Wii U, and bring out GameCube Virtual Console support too. On the 3DS front? SNES, Megadrive, and PC-Engine (Turbografx) support is more than possible, so make it happen. This year is tailor made for Nintendo to excel. Your move, Nintendo.

4. Promote cross-play promotional offers - Something Sony has initiated with Sony Smash Bros is if you buy the PS3 version, you get a one-time use download code for your Vita version providing it's linked to the same PSN account. This is where Nintendo needs to unify the NNID's to account for all Nintendo hardware you own. Let's use Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate as the prime example. The Wii U version may be out for £50, and the 3DS version for £40. If Nintendo offer a 3DS one-time use download code alongside the Wii U version, everybody wins. You can't argue that Nintendo would lose money on 3DS hard sales because not everyone owns a Wii U yet. Better still, if they did this and Wii U sales went through the roof, it bodes well for their future games as well.

5. Region-free gaming - Yes, I'm being far too optimistic but quite frankly I don't give a cows arse about region locking. All region locking does is protect territorial sales, and in a world where the longer the bridges, the taller the walls are, this needs to be addressed. The DS was region free, as were non-DSi/3DS enhanced DS games, but to region lock 3DS games is absurd. Yes, region lock the eShop if you're that bothered about territorial sales, but for hard copies of games, make the systems region free. Same goes for Wii U. Also, Wii U Game Pads being region locked to work with the same region systems? Seriously, that's so full of fail that I think Iwata-san's on the slow boat to China with a plank of wood as his oar.

A bonus thing I want Nintendo to do? Media player for Wii U. The system's tailor made for it. Release a media player for say £10 that allows you to play music, view photos, and watch videos from your External Hard Drive, as well as codec support for DVD's and Blu-Ray Discs. If the Homebrew scene can get this part working fine on Wii then there's no reason that Nintendo can't do this themselves. Again, your move, Nintendo.
K-tet

Postby King Slazo » 01 Jan 2013, 14:45

Nintendo embracing online is still a way away. They've only just changed their online system to use usernames (or NNID or whatever they call their version of Gamertags) instead of friend codes, and last year proved when they released their first full digital game... for the RRP... that they still just don't get it. A day will come when they do, and they're getting better, but I doubt we'll see a fully online Nintendo this generation.

As for the rest, can't see a Metroid game coming out for a little while after Other M annoyed many fans and F-Zero has been all but condemned bcause there isn't really a market for it (sorry, I loved it too). The new Zelda... in all honesty, I far prefer the artstyle of the "cutesy" ones, WindWaker and Skyward Sword looked far, far better than Ocarina or Twilight Princess (and were better games too, but that's only my opinion).

A Nintendo FPS would be interested though. If only because, as you said, it'd be different and not just a me-too generic experience like so many modern shooters.

Ultimately though, 2013 will be, most likely, what we've come to expect from Nintendo. Them playing it safe with their traditional big sellers of Pokémon and Mario (Mario Kart 8 wouldn't surprise me for an end of year release), with one of their old franchises being dusted off for the Nintendo hardcore (Pikmin 3), one game so they can go "look, we've got games for the hardcore gamer too" (Bayonetta 2) and some announcements for 2014 games so nobody trades their consoles in. Just like last year. And the year before. And the etc.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Xenobladeperson » 01 Jan 2013, 14:51

If those games came out this year they wouldn't be games, they'd be half-done, bad-textured, unfinished crap. I wouldn't want any of those to come out until 2014 at the earliest, give the dev's some time.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby LavaTwilight » 01 Jan 2013, 15:19

I definitely share the sentiment that the VC and Wiiware needs a massive improvement! I kinda hoped it would be incorporated into the eShop in a future update... here's hoping. That said, the layout and functionality of the e-Shop can be improved too.
A new F-Zero game is definitely needed, but as long as it doesnt use the same controls as in Nintendo Land. Those are fine for a minigame, but it wouldn't work for a full-budget retail release. Also a new Legend of Zelda is what I'm looking forward to. A lot of fans want a 'darker' one, but I'm more concerned about the quality. I felt that Skyward Sword veered off from the Zelda blueprints quite enough but apparently the next one is looking to 'change' it some more? No thanks. Make it darker, make it lighter, whatever I don't mind just don't change it if it's not broken.

Plus, how about Generic-Looking Action Figure for a new IP? :lol:
LavaTwilight

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 01 Jan 2013, 16:08

Nintendo should really start reading these comments.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby shy guy 64 » 01 Jan 2013, 16:53

these wishlists all ways have f-zero and metroid

not that the're unlikely choices (except the fps one) just dont expect them all this year
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Mmmyeah » 01 Jan 2013, 18:50

Some nice ideas here. Before this article I was mainly hoping that the Oracle Zeldas will be released on 3DS virtual console soon! Now I'm looking to the future and hoping for more surprising stuff.

For me, a new Okami on the Wii U or 3DS would be phenomenal.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby WOLFENFTW » 01 Jan 2013, 21:01

I agree that we need a new 2D Metroid, a new F-Zero and a dark Zelda game, but I'd also like to see a new Star Fox title. Not counting the Lylat wars remake the latest Star Fox was Command (2006). Star Fox is a brilliant series that would look brilliant on both 3DS and Wii U, but I've seen very little demand from anyone.

STAR FOX FANS! PLEASE SHOW ME YOUR STILL HERE!!!
Sonic and Star Fox, the two greatest game series of them all.
Shadow the Hedgehog and Wolf O' Donnell FTW!!!
Crossover anyone?
WOLFENFTW

Postby KairiZero » 01 Jan 2013, 21:15

I agree Nintendo need to up the rate of E-shop releases. I know the consoles only been out just over a month or so, but there are only two wii u demos, and a handful of games to buy. they need more solid content - I think demos of big releases (Zombi U, ACIII and Batman would be a good start), and they do need to release some gamecube and wii games on the shop, as well as older titles.....I'm a little dissapointed with the E-shop right now, I really hope they don't drop the ball with it!

As wolves among sheep we wander
KairiZero

Postby VinceLovesToast » 01 Jan 2013, 22:09

Any of the old pokemon games could be released on the 3ds eshop !
they dont even have to make a new game but being able to transfer your pokemon would be awesome!
VinceLovesToast

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 01 Jan 2013, 22:56

PLEASE NINTENDO I NEED A NEW METROID. Something scary would be amazing!!
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby CDS » 01 Jan 2013, 23:16

My list.
1] As stated before, unified accounts. This is the only thing stopping me from actually buying anything from the e-Shop. If your 3DS is no longer working, or gets stolen. That's it. Everything lost. If PSN and XBOX LIVE can do it, why not Nintendo. Long overdue.

2] A proper Star Wars game on the 3DS. The n-Space games were absolute [cannot say this word as it is too rude], and the sequel to Force Unleashed was even worse. The Wii versions of the Force Unleashed series were on par with the other consoles, and in some areas better. And we had Republic Heroes on the Wii as well. And so, we need a proper Star Wars game on 3DS. Just not 1313. as that's going to be pretty powerful.

3] Proper confirmation of the 3DS version of LEGO City Undercover, and the console style of LEGO games to return on handhelds. I won't be getting a WiiU any time soon. The announcement of LEGO City Undercover on the 3DS persuaded me of that. And as for the second part, after all I'd heard about LEGO Star Wars 3 I got the game on 3DS at it's launch. How disappointed I was. Within a month I bought the console version on PS3, and was much more satisfied. Ever since, I've been buying LEGO games on the PS3, and trying the demos available for the 3DS versions. Still not impressed with the quality of them over the console versions. I really did prefer the console versions on a handheld.

4] Is the re-release of older games for their original consoles really too much to ask? Put them back in circulation? There are lots of people with the older consoles, and even more who want to play the games of those older consoles. Even if it isn't releasing the consoles themselves, surely you don't have to release the games on newer digital console stores to put them back in circulation? Or, one better, a multiconsole for all the old Nintendo systems?

5] New IP's and new in-series games. A lot have stated for new Zelda's or Metroid's, and at least one vote for Star Fox. There's also been interest for new IP's. I give the yes to both of these things. While the revival of Star Fox 64 was good [never played the series before] I'd be interested in seeing what else can become of it. And also, instead of remaking games, use elements from those older games. For instance, a lot might argue against this, but I'd be pretty interested in a Mario Kart with the Double Dash elements, while keeping new features.
CDS

Postby TheVelvetRoom » 02 Jan 2013, 01:49

A proper new Starfox for Wii U would be lovely.
PS Forever UK an enthusiast site for Playstation games new and old
Steam: velv
PSN: tvrsteve
TheVelvetRoom

Postby Zabba 2 » 02 Jan 2013, 01:52

Xenobladeperson wrote:If those games came out this year they wouldn't be games, they'd be half-done, bad-textured, unfinished crap. I wouldn't want any of those to come out until 2014 at the earliest, give the dev's some time.

Not necessarily. Games are usually a fair way into development by the time they are announced/revealed (granted, not always, for example Super Smash Bros. 4), so it's possible that a new F-Zero game or 2D Metroid have been in the works for some time already.

Realistically, of the four games I put forward, only one probably wouldn't see a 2013 release and that's the FPS. This is purely because Miyamoto's words on the matter seemed to imply no work has been started on such a project yet. Still, it's nice to think there may be some surprises out there.
Zabba 2

Postby superthingymabob » 02 Jan 2013, 03:02

I agree with everything on this list, apart from the FPS thing. However, they should make the games at their own pace. Sonic '06 is a prime example of what happens when developers are rushed.
Thanks to Martinisawesome for the sig
Did you know? I have not been here for a very long time. I bet tons of exciting stuff has happened while I was gone. Hm. Maybe not.
[insert hilarious quote here]
superthingymabob

Postby toffeeman30 » 02 Jan 2013, 08:44

standard and obvious choices. nice article and read all the same
toffeeman30

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 02 Jan 2013, 15:04

Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are the closest that Nintendo have got to Half-Life and Portals way of story telling. You know what's going on, but if you read between the lines there is something much darker and unexplained. But I may be gettin gconfused with fan-fiction. The same can be said for Pokemon.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Bleachyleachy » 02 Jan 2013, 15:58

Not a bad article, but I strongly disagree with the Nintendo themed FPS. Another FPS game is exactly what we don't need.
Also I can't be the only one who noticed:
Zabba 2 wrote:Not necessarily. Games are usually a fair way into development by the time they are announced/revealed (granted, not always, for example Super Smash Bros. 4), so it's possible that a new F-Zero game or 2D Metroid have been in the works for some time already.

Realistically, of the four games I put forward, only one probably wouldn't see a 2013 release and that's the FPS. This is purely because Miyamoto's words on the matter seemed to imply no work has been started on such a project yet. Still, it's nice to think there may be some surprises out there.
IDBVXFBVLHXVJZSPAIW guys Zabba posted! Are you back or just dropping by?
Steam/Twitter
My name has nothing to do with manga/anime Ok
Bleachyleachy

Postby Zabba 2 » 02 Jan 2013, 16:21

CDS wrote:My list.
1] As stated before, unified accounts. This is the only thing stopping me from actually buying anything from the e-Shop. If your 3DS is no longer working, or gets stolen. That's it. Everything lost. If PSN and XBOX LIVE can do it, why not Nintendo. Long overdue.

Out of all the points you made, this is the one I agree with most. It's something that came to my attention when I found out Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels was coming to 3DS eShop. I bought it on the Wii Virtual Console when it came out during the Hanabi festival, but because there's no unified account system, I'd have to buy it again if I wanted it on 3DS. In my opinion, that's wrong. There's also the lost and stolen issue too. It'd make things a lot easier with unified accounts.

toffeeman30 wrote:standard and obvious choices. nice article and read all the same

If I ever get round to doing another similar article I had planned, I'll be talking about some much more obscure series and games, so maybe that'll be more to your liking.

Bleachyleachy wrote:IDBVXFBVLHXVJZSPAIW guys Zabba posted! Are you back or just dropping by?

Just dropping by I'm afraid! Nice to know I'm missed though haha

Mmmyeah wrote:For me, a new Okami on the Wii U or 3DS would be phenomenal.

I'd even settle for the PSN's Okami HD to make it's way to the Wii U store.
Zabba 2

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 02 Jan 2013, 21:53

I just want a Donkey Kong 3DS game. Something similar to 'Donkey Kong Country Returns'. Oh,and a Doctor Who 50th anniversary 3DS game starring all the Doctors.
Dalekbuster523

Postby Argenthor » 03 Jan 2013, 01:56

POI
The picture on page 4 is of Bulletstorm, not CoD :)
Argenthor

Next