Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pikmin 3 will be more like Pikmin 1 - Miyamoto

Comment on site articles.

Pikmin creator bringing the stress levels back to his strategy game following 'user-friendly' Pikmin 2

Shigeru Miyamoto has told GamesMaster that Pikmin 3 will return to its roots in a strategy game that's more like the original than the second game in the series.

... read more

Pikmin 3 will be more like Pikmin 1 - Miyamoto

Postby mu3zzer » 02 Jan 2013, 10:57

I've not played Pikmin 2, but I didn't really like the strict time limits of the first so was hoping for it to be more like the second. But I'm still excited for this game and will definitely pick it up.
NNID: mu3zzer 3DS FC: 1246-8701-1542
Twitter
The Argonauts Facebook Twitter Bandcamp Youtube
mu3zzer

Re: Pikmin 3 will be more like Pikmin 1 - Miyamoto

Postby Stitch » 02 Jan 2013, 11:09

I much preferred Pikmin 2. The time limits in the original were annoying and for someone who likes to explore and appreciate the game's surroundings it was too much. I really hope the time limits don't make an appearance in Pikmin 3 or I may very well skip the experience altogether.
DA profile: http://lilmickey27.deviantart.com/

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8154-5161
Stitch

Postby Lego master » 02 Jan 2013, 11:44

I don't necessarily think that is a bad idea however that has stopped me from buying it now...
Lego master

Postby master sword » 02 Jan 2013, 11:48

This honestly depends on if he's bringing back the time limits, and if so how strict are they going to be, I like to take my time playing a game and not feel to rushed, so i enjoyed Pikmin 2 more, Pikmin 1 was good but it's a bit hard to enjoy the world around you if you're constantly being rushed.
Plus I loved some of the references to real-life products in Pikmin 2, some of the name and descriptions were brilliant
i will fight for:
. good reviews
. the next ONM mag
. smash bros on the 3DS
. pikmin 3
. the last bowl of pasta
master sword

Postby DrGenisi » 02 Jan 2013, 12:02

I preferred Pikmin 2 because it was a longer game and putting a time limit on it actually makes it shorter because you can't go on for as long. And you can't say that Pikmin 2 was user-friendly until you have played The Submerged Castle. I don't call that dungeon "user-friendly".
DrGenisi

Postby King Slazo » 02 Jan 2013, 12:19

Pikmin 2 was far more fun than the original, so that's a disappointment that probably means I won't be picking this game up now...
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby thenintendoer » 02 Jan 2013, 12:37

i reckon that they hsould have the time limits the first time through and then after completeing the game have the option to turn it off on subsequent playthroughs so it hopefully pleases everyone
thenintendoer

Postby MJTH » 02 Jan 2013, 12:55

I think that it's a good thing that they bring back a sense of urgency to the game, I found Pikmin 2 whilst it was a better game, there wasn't as big a drive to finish it completely as there was in pikmin original.

What I would like from Pikmin 3 was that there was urgency for the first half of the game, having you be required to reach a certain goal before a certain time period, but after that you were allowed to continue after that and have a different objective after that which increases the longevity of the game.

Oh, and can we have less dungeons and more, larger explorable environment this time, and more bosses in those environments! My one major problem with pikmin 2, the best parts were when you weren't in dungeons, but that made up less then half of the game....
Something's coming up the plumbing, poor Luigi's in a bind. Giant turtles are out to get him, Creepy Crabs are right behind. Spiders, flies. Jeepers! Yikes!, They're coming out the pipes. "MARIO! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"
MJTH

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 02 Jan 2013, 13:12

thenintendoer wrote:i reckon that they hsould have the time limits the first time through and then after completeing the game have the option to turn it off on subsequent playthroughs so it hopefully pleases everyone

I completely agree. Although I haven't played the first two Pikmin games, I think I would much prefer it if the game was a challenge - it would be more fun that way - but I also want the freedom of being able to explore the content of the maps at my own leisure.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby myowlisdead » 02 Jan 2013, 13:18

Oh good heavens.
If the mere IDEA of Pikmin 3 being more like the first game is enough to put you off buying it, then perhaps you should consider choosing a different hobby. Fishing, for example.
After all the long years of Miyamoto showing us again and again that we can trust him with the franchises we care about, why on earth do things like this comments section still happen?
myowlisdead

Postby MrGooseyMoose » 02 Jan 2013, 13:31

Thank. God.

Pikmin is one of my favourite games ever, and the time limits and restraints and STRESS are some of the key reasons for that. The second game was so lacking in drive because there was no reason to worry, and no motivation to be particularly efficient because you could get away with doing only tiny amounts each day. I mean, I didn't like the second game full stop because of a few reasons, but...

Anyway, I'll quit there. Very happy about this decision. Right on.
'I pity you, you just don't get it at all...there isn't a thing i don't cherish!' - Cloud
MrGooseyMoose

Postby MrGooseyMoose » 02 Jan 2013, 13:33

MJTH wrote:I think that it's a good thing that they bring back a sense of urgency to the game, I found Pikmin 2 whilst it was a better game, there wasn't as big a drive to finish it completely as there was in pikmin original.

What I would like from Pikmin 3 was that there was urgency for the first half of the game, having you be required to reach a certain goal before a certain time period, but after that you were allowed to continue after that and have a different objective after that which increases the longevity of the game.

Oh, and can we have less dungeons and more, larger explorable environment this time, and more bosses in those environments! My one major problem with pikmin 2, the best parts were when you weren't in dungeons, but that made up less then half of the game....

Agree with everything you said.
'I pity you, you just don't get it at all...there isn't a thing i don't cherish!' - Cloud
MrGooseyMoose

Postby Baker1000 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:01

What the...time limits were dropped in Pikmin 2? I don't think so. You might not have had a limit on the amount of days you could spend, but you still had limits on the time spent during the day. That was stressful enough for me. I remember you literally couldn't wait more than a few minutes before setting off for some of the treasure if you wanted to make it back by nightfall. There were days when I would spend half of it re-populating my Pikmin count and then, even with quite a bit of time left in the day, it was just too late to try and find treasure to bring back. The only thing that made the game less stressful were the underground areas, where you had an endless amount of time. Even then you could only take 100 Pikmin with you and couldn't go back for more, so it was still stressful if you lost a huge chunk of them before reaching the bottom.

Pikmin 2 was perfection for me. You could spend a day or two exploring (which let's face it, with HD in Pikmin 3, you're gonna want to do) and not worry if you packed up empty handed that day. I wouldn't welcome the return of the day limit in Pikmin 3.
Baker1000

Postby JoeOdranDoran » 02 Jan 2013, 14:02

Not sure whether I agree, but.....Miyamoto taking a hard-line on games being easy? That could be a good thing.
JoeOdranDoran

Postby Lego master » 02 Jan 2013, 14:25

myowlisdead wrote: why on earth do things like this comments section still happen?

First of all it would be pronounced "these comments".
Second of all, because people have opinions!!! It's not that I don't trust miyamoto's decision, however for me personally I like being able to explore freely in video games without restraints such as time. I think a good idea would be to have time limit optional.
Lego master

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 02 Jan 2013, 14:30

Pikmin 1 was a challenge and in my opinion the only reason I liked it was the time limit. The time limit gave me a reason to continue to play the game. I can't even sit through pikmin 2. I think it is dull and I didnt really care for what was to happen to Olimar. SO this new is a good thing in my opinion :D
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby toffeeman30 » 02 Jan 2013, 14:55

pikmin 3 to get back to basics of pikmin 1? think i will pass then
toffeeman30

Postby TheRexFactor » 02 Jan 2013, 15:18

As long as he doesn't mean "we're bringing back the time limit".

Being against the clock like that just means people will be forced to rush and end up missing out on things
I used to be a mod, now I'm just part of the community.
3DS FC: 3780-9077-9091 (let me know if you add me so I can add back)
Mario Kart 7 and Animal Crossing New Leaf current online games
TheRexFactor

Postby CDS » 02 Jan 2013, 15:27

Is it time for me to step up and try and persuade people again?
I'm not even getting a WiiU so will definitely not be getting Pikmin 3. I have both games on Gamecube, and if I was to pick one of them up to play again, it would be the first. The time limits kept you on a schedule and made things a harder time. While Pikmin 2 had more levels/dungeons and Pikmin types, the first was a basic three-types-mulitple-challenges game. The second, while it had the clock time to persuade you to get back quick before you lost Pikmin, didn't give you a strict day time which meant you could separate tasks into days.
Now, with Pikmin 3, it is taking the best of both of these two, by having more Pikmin types, and going back to the Pikmin 1 basics. Now while the article gives talk of the day time, it might not be back. And to be fair, even if it is, you've got four men to take control of Pikmin this time, not just one. And you have a map on your second screen so you can swipe and zoom and watch what's happening, then jump in and swap to that person if they need help or are ready to move on.
CDS

Postby King Slazo » 02 Jan 2013, 16:37

myowlisdead wrote:Oh good heavens.
If the mere IDEA of Pikmin 3 being more like the first game is enough to put you off buying it, then perhaps you should consider choosing a different hobby. Fishing, for example.
After all the long years of Miyamoto showing us again and again that we can trust him with the franchises we care about, why on earth do things like this comments section still happen?

Alternatively, maybe some people didn't like the first nearly as much as the second and wouldn't want to waste their hard earned money on an experience they know they won't enjoy?
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Jack Markley » 02 Jan 2013, 17:48

This makes me very excited, I was hoping they were adding back the time limits since the first interviews with miyamoto about pikmin 3. While I initially didn't like that there would be a time limit on the first game, that my time with the pikmin would be limited. Now that i've experienced the other side of the coin in pikmin 2 I realize how important it is to give the player that restriction to make them value their time more. I also hope they're focusing more on having large, beautiful overworld levels instead of the tiled quantity over quality caves from the second.
Jack Markley

Postby Oocoo Jr. » 02 Jan 2013, 17:54

The time limits in the first Pikmin actually prevented me from finishing the game. I got about three-quarters of the way through but just got tired of constantly having to cancel my saves so that I could still have all my Pikmin, and just gave up. I really hope Pikmin 3 is more like the second game.
SnooPINGAS usual, I see!
Yes, I know 'ooccoo' is misspelt in my username.
Check out my podcast! https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/nic ... 18015?mt=2
Oocoo Jr.

Postby Chewie » 02 Jan 2013, 18:15

One of my biggest issues with the first Pikmin was how short it was, the time limit being a huge factor in this, seeing as it forced you to rush through what was a very short game anyway. Bringing back the time limit isn't the way to go in my opinion, I'll wait it out and hope for a price drop.
3DS friend code: 3394-3537-0725
Chewie

Postby jazatz2 » 02 Jan 2013, 23:16

Why don't they just make the time limit optional. I loved the challenge from pikmin 1 and still thought there was enough to to submerge yourself into the game. But i know my younger brother did not enjoy the time limit perhaps it should be optional and you should win a special award for completing it on "time mode"
jazatz2

Postby CDS » 02 Jan 2013, 23:20

^^
Yes. Good idea.
CDS

Next