Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

What does 2013 hold for Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and more

Comment on site articles.

The year ahead for Nintendo's biggest stars

You may have noticed that Smash Bros and Zelda didn't feature in our list of the best Wii U games for 2013. That's because we currently have no idea as to when either game will be released. Beyond Q2 2013 when Pikmin 3 is released, no one knows when some of Nintendo's biggest Wii U games are coming out.

... read more

What does 2013 hold for Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and more

Postby torterratrainer » 02 Jan 2013, 18:14

a 3D pokemon on 3DS would be amazing and the system would sell loads. but what about a 3DS first person shooter? if the 3DS has better graphics than the wii surely a goldeneye style shooter could become available in the next two years
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Re: What does 2013 hold for Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros and mor

Postby wghtmf » 02 Jan 2013, 19:32

Pokémon on Wii U would be brilliant. You could control your character on the TV screen using the left control stick on the GamePad, and also be able to arrange your items and team on the GamePad screen using the right control stick/D-pad/touchscreen. I know Game Freak said that they wouldn't release Pokémon on a home console but that was before they knew about the Wii U.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby shy guy 64 » 02 Jan 2013, 19:34

we all ready know there's a zelda game being made for the 3ds

and its to early for gen 6 of pokemon
life, don't talk to me about life
sig was made by chocolate milk
shy guy 64

Postby CyberGW » 02 Jan 2013, 19:43

This was a very good, interesting and well written article. Enjoyed reading that.
2013 will certainly be a very exciting year. We may not have loads and loads of new blockbusters released, but we'll certainly get loads of amazing news for others.
Current Favourite Game: Wind Waker HD
Most Anticipated Game: MarioKart 8
Animal Crossing Dream Address: 6100-2230-3133
CyberGW

Postby Slinkington » 02 Jan 2013, 19:55

Realistically, we can expect news on:

Starfox, presumably for the Wii U
New Zelda for 3DS
New game starring Luigi, most likely for the Wii U

Aonuma said quite a while ago: "we've set sail on the next Zelda" so for this reason we should expect boats. Hoping it's not Toon Link AGAIN.

Retro said "Our project is a different Barrel Roll from Donkey Kong Country" which leads me to believe it'll be a Starfox game.

The last main Nintendo Direct said this will be "The year of Luigi" and they've also said that Mario will be sitting back for a while now. I doubt we'll hear anything of a new Mario Kart or Mario platformer, or a new Zelda for Wii U. It's very unlikely we'll hear about Smash Bros, and if we do, it'll only be because fans are begging for it. I hope they don't get desperate and release it early.

I've also heard rumours of a new Kirby Tilt and Tumble style game, and that Retro may actually be doing Metroid, though to me it sounds more like Starfox. Time will tell...
Slinkington

Postby irishmarcoos » 02 Jan 2013, 20:02

I am expecting some sort of 3DS Pokémon main series game to be released.
I'm also looking forward to seeing Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney this year, and Possibly Ace Attorney 5, although that may be early next year for us.
irishmarcoos

Postby innerglee » 02 Jan 2013, 20:05

New Chibi-Robo!

Can we finally have English versions of Giftpia and Captain Rainbow, maybe in the eShop?
innerglee

Postby IPecksU » 02 Jan 2013, 20:16

Monolith's wii u RPG will be amazing if it's anything like Xenoblade.

Kid Icarus on the wii u would be amazing if done right

5 player Nintendo sci fi action adventure 3rd person shooter/beat em up where you play as samus/pit/fox/Kirby and Captain Falcon to save the universe and shoot stuff and use melee combos and fly through space and blow stuff up with a big epic story that is 100 hours long with lots of laughs and sad bits it will be called nintendo defenders and I will never stop playing it also theres an on/offline vs mode.
IPecksU

Postby linkfinity » 02 Jan 2013, 20:20

@Slinkington

Red herrings everywhere, if Nintendo have taught me one thing it's to just be patient and see what happens. Speculate all you like, but don't be surprised if you have been lead down the wrong path, it's just those "clues" look far, far too obvious to me.

On the subject of where Mario can go next, the only way I think he could go is time travel, i can't think of how they'd do it but Nintendo has the time and imagination to pull it off nicely. failing time travel, I'd like to be alternate universes, who wouldn't want to see Mario have to jump into a different parallel universe and meet different versions of himself and other mushroom kingdom characters. Nintendo could do an epic mickey and bring back some forgotten characters and let them have a role in the story.

From zelda i'd like to see a return to normal controls, a realistic art style for Wii U and a cel-shaded style for 3DS, and i'd like it to be bigger than skyward sword which for me was far to small in what it tried to do (Twilight princess had a better story, majora's mask had better characters, and wind waker had a better map. They committed to getting motionplus control to work, which they managed perfectly, but forgot to build a decent game to put it in.)

Metroid I think should play like prime but have a story like other M.

But the games I most want to see are No more heroes 3, Bayonetta 2, what ever monolith soft have been working on, and monster hunter 3U + 4. If we at least get some details on most of them (only monster hunter 3U has a chance of reaching us before 2014 starts) I'd be a happy camper.
linkfinity

Postby MistaChristopher » 02 Jan 2013, 21:05

I'll just say that it was confirmed that Retro AREN'T working on a new DKC game. Either Miyamoto or Reggie said that I believe. I think Retro are working on either Star Fox, F-Zero or something completely new.
Music FTW
Video Games FTW
TV FTW
~
That Lylat guy.
Music rawks mah sawks!
MistaChristopher

Postby PrinceMidna » 02 Jan 2013, 21:12

I really think that it's time that Nintendo brought Mario back to the Mushroom Kingdom, rather than space. I'd like them to expand on the kingdom somehow. Maybe Super Mario U could bring back some of the levels from previous Mario games, to show how they all fit into the Mushroom Kingdom. I'd like to see these levels blended together, so that we could be running around a HD version of Bob-omb Battlefield one moment and then, the next, we could have gone beyond the hills in this level and be running along the original SMB's World 1-1. I'm a strong advocate for Mario returning to levels from previous games. With the power of the Wii U, the quickly-approaching thirtieth anniversary and the fact that SMG2 and NSMB2 both featured updated versions of old levels, I think that the time is right for Mario to revisit his past.

I'm also a strong advocate for bringing some story to the 3D Mario series. The power of the Wii U means that it is more possible than ever before to bring some proper story to the Mario series rather than the tired "plumber-saves-princess" formula. I do believe that Nintendo's trying to bring Luigi out into the spotlight so maybe the next Wii U Mario game will actually be a Luigi one. This one could have a lot more story to it and would be a lot more refreshing. Perhaps Mario could be killed and the Mushroom Kingdom would have been taken over. It could be like the Mushroom Kingdom apocalypse and Luigi could be the sole saviour. (Don't worry: he could always find a life mushroom at the end of the game which resurrects his brother.)

Whatever the Wii U Mario game is, I hope that it will be epic. I need the panorama-function to be incorporated into the game and I'd also like a massive, Zelda-style overworld map. Wouldn't it be awesome if the plumber was able to travel to every level without the need to return to the HUB all the time? (Perhaps there could be a map, so the player would have the choice to manually travel to each destination or else to teleport there.)
I believe in Jack Frost. Do you?
PrinceMidna

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 02 Jan 2013, 21:34

I'm hoping for a Donkey Kong 3DS game,similar to Donkey Kong Country Returns,with two player download play and a option to play as Mii characters.
Dalekbuster523

Postby Dalekbuster523 » 02 Jan 2013, 21:40

PrinceMidna wrote:I really think that it's time that Nintendo brought Mario back to the Mushroom Kingdom, rather than space.

God no. The inclusion of space made the Mario universe feel more expansive and epic. It was nice to see some of the planets outside the Mushroom Kingdom and for me,if the 3D Mario games returned to the Mushroom Kingdom,it'd just feel like a anti climax. The next 3D Mario game needs to be bigger than space. Super Mario Time Travel, perhaps? They could set it on various different planets like Super Mario Galaxy,only each planet is in a different time period: either past,present or future.
Dalekbuster523

Postby VinceLovesToast » 02 Jan 2013, 22:32

Pikachus safe but I hope they bring back the trainer but with a new team
VinceLovesToast

Postby thecoolmana777 » 02 Jan 2013, 23:42

To be honest I don't think we will see zelda U until at least 2014 with perhaps a small teaser at E3 as for zelda 3D I'd like to think September or October time announced via Nintendo direct. I think that we will probably see another metroid game for Wii U around christmas time and perhaps a star fox game too *crosses fingers*
Have an awesome day :D
3DS FC- 3394-3533-6027, NNID-Thecoolmana777 PM me
thecoolmana777

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 02 Jan 2013, 23:55

It has to be a huge HD Metroid Prime 4. It would a) be amazing and b) would be exactly what nintendo needs to prove to western gamers that they are a major player in the hordcore games industry
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby kirbysonic » 03 Jan 2013, 00:15

Any news on Kirby's Dream Collection?
kirbysonic

Postby Kirby8 » 03 Jan 2013, 00:29

innerglee wrote:New Chibi-Robo!

Can we finally have English versions of Giftpia and Captain Rainbow, maybe in the eShop?

I'd LOVE a new Chibi Robo...but very doubtful of that. Chibi-Robo 2 never came to Europe, and I brought it at Wal-Mart when I went to America on holiday. The 3rd game, which sounded awesome, was Japanese exclusive. Sad times.

That last sentence on the Kirby section made me so sad!! Why does no one ask or care about Kirby? ='(
Kirby is awesome! Want some Kirby news. Some Zelda and 3D Mario news would be great! And I can't wait from Smash Bros! But we are definitely in for a wait.
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby CraigEmberson » 03 Jan 2013, 11:48

I'm confused... You seem to not have any idea that the Zelda E3 demo WASN'T a demo of Zelda - it was showing off console power and possibilities only. Anyone who got their hopes up are dumb.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 03 Jan 2013, 13:29

To be fair, Kirby did have two games out at the end of 2011. Let the lil' fella have his rest.

Image ... bless.
I've got some cool video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble, so please check them out.
Latest Design: GURU-GURU, the Windmill Man
Don't forget about my Colors! Gallery
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby vtheyoshi » 03 Jan 2013, 14:39

innerglee wrote:Can we finally have English versions of Giftpia and Captain Rainbow, maybe in the eShop?

Trust me, that is not a good idea on Nintendo's behalf.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby jellyjal » 03 Jan 2013, 17:38

" Let's not forget that Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were both released at the back end of 2013"
... ok happy 2015 everyone... :lol:
grovyle why so not-blue anymore Image
jellyjal- determind to get grovyle blue again!!
jellyjal

Postby mrgameandwatch » 03 Jan 2013, 19:13

i'de be happy with either kirby or the revivel of a certen hardcore rpg seris (cough'earthbound'cough)
mrgameandwatch

Postby jaykthepikachu » 03 Jan 2013, 20:56

Tbh, I'm hoping for another 2D Mario game because SM3DL made me feel dizzy even with the 3D off and i would often think i was gonna land on a Platform and then i wouldn't.I enjoyed MKW a lot and really want a MK Wii U Edition.Maybe a Totally new Zelda game for 3DS would be good but i think the next Zelda will likely be on the Wii U.Super Smash Bros 4 is the thing i got a Wii U for and i'm hoping the 3DS/Wii U Inter-Console Compatably is good.GLaD that Meta Knight,Pit and Pikachu are gonna be in it as i used them the most in SSBB,really hoping it has DLC Stages and Characters.I think Main Series Pokemon will only move over to 3D when Gen 6 Begins...mind you,there is a Big PokeAnnouncement coming next Week so you never know.Also GLaD that PMD is getting a instalment with Gen 6 Pokemon,hoping Arceus is in it and not a statue like Explorers Of Sky,Mangagate System sounds interesting.I have Completed Metroid and i have played Other M so i would enjoy a 3D Metroid for Wii U and a 2D Metroid game for 3DS.
jaykthepikachu

Postby That Guy Ganon » 04 Jan 2013, 12:15

Hoping for a 3DS remake of Link to the Past, a Wii U Metroid title and a new F-Zero (either platform will do).....

Not asking for much haha :D

I can assume though that a Wii U Mario Kart, Zelda and SSB is a given.... Hopefully.
That Guy Ganon

Next