Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Comment on site articles.

The world of Pokemon will evolve in 2013

Pokemon fans should look out for a Pokemon announcement next week. That's right, the next big Pokemon news will be revealed on 8 January.

... read more

Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Gapa » 03 Jan 2013, 10:42

I'm really hoping that this is going to be Generation 6, and not just a spin-off...
Gapa
30
 
Posts: 58
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby BIGBUTTER » 03 Jan 2013, 11:35

A New Pokemon Snap!!!! That would be EPIC!!
BIGBUTTER
23
 
Posts: 27
Location: Canada

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby shy guy 64 » 03 Jan 2013, 11:38

Gapa wrote:I'm really hoping that this is going to be Generation 6, and not just a spin-off...


its to early
life, don't talk to me about life
Image
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64
51
User avatar
 
Posts: 2790
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby CraigEmberson » 03 Jan 2013, 11:45

Generation 3 has been hinted to A LOT in this generation. Partially in Black and White, then a lot more in BW2... Reshiram and Zekrom share elements of it's colour scheme and many wild Pokemon are Gen 3. Also, when the anime introduced older Pokemon, it heavily features Gen 1 and Gen 3 Pokemon (both tied together). I think they'll announce Gen 3 remakes for 3DS, just to ease people into the 3DS more and prepare for Gen 6. I find it interesting that Ash's Charizard returns in the Genesect movie with it's wife/girlfriend too.

I forgot to mention... The data in BW2 lists a couple of key items from Gen 3 games that weren't used too. Problem is, remaking it on DS wouldn't be much enhancement on the old version and we already had DS remakes before.

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed that this Gen has taken a lot from Zelda? Music, Pokemon like Sigilyph, movies, the Meloetta Storyline in the anime sharing similarities.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson
40
User avatar
 
Posts: 779
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby igsey » 03 Jan 2013, 11:51

I'm hoping for either Ruby/Sapphire remakes or Snap 3D. I think we can fairly sagely assume that whatever's revealed, it'll be for 3DS.
igsey
22
 
Posts: 8
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby TenTen » 03 Jan 2013, 12:01

shy guy 64 wrote:
Gapa wrote:I'm really hoping that this is going to be Generation 6, and not just a spin-off...


its to early

It's almost been 3 years, which is the usual gap between each generation, and the games are probably not going to be released for a while, so it could be gen 6.
Image
TenTen
56
User avatar
 
Posts: 862
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby King Slazo » 03 Jan 2013, 12:04

It'll be a download event. Way too early for Gen6, and Gen3 remakes ain't happening anytime soon.
Image
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
73
ONM Moderator
User avatar
 
Posts: 5556

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby K-tet » 03 Jan 2013, 12:10

For all we know, this announcement could be additional DLC for Black and White 2. However, look at what year we're in. ^.~

I predict with a fair degree of logic that it will be the Hoenn remasters for the DS. Why? There seems to be an 8-10 year interval for these remasters to surface. FireRed and LeafGreen were released in 2004, 8 years after the original Red and Green cartridges were released in Japan. Likewise, HeartGold and SoulSilver were released in 2010, 9 years after the original Gold and Silver cartridges were released in Europe (10 in USA, 11 in Japan). Ruby and Sapphire were both released in 2003. Now we're in 2013. It's most definitely possible that this is the case. Also, we all know that HeartGold and SoulSilver covered both Johto and Kanto regions respectively (as did the originals), and with both the 4th and 5th Gen games being DS anyway, it stands to reason that Hoenn is the only region that has yet to feature on the hardware. It's all pointing in the right direction for a Hoenn remaster. Educated tuppence for you all.

What I do believe is that it won't be a 3DS game, but perhaps it'll be a 3DS-enhanced DS game like Black and White 2 are. It's far too early to be releasing a fully-fledged game on the 3DS, especially one that's counter-intuitive to the other versions (in other words, why release a remaster for new hardware?). Gen 6 will most definitely be a 3DS game, I'm certain of that. Perhaps they'll bring it to Wii U as well (though before Game Freak have stated they don't wish to pursue this route). The 3DS can communicate with the DS however, so 6th Gen games should allow you to move Pokémon from say any of the DS games to the 6th Gen in much the same way as the 5th Gen games did is most definitely on the cards.

I'm definitely looking forward to this announcement in any case.
K-tet
44
 
Posts: 810
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Serebii » 03 Jan 2013, 12:17

CraigEmberson wrote:Generation 3 has been hinted to A LOT in this generation. Partially in Black and White, then a lot more in BW2... Reshiram and Zekrom share elements of it's colour scheme and many wild Pokemon are Gen 3. Also, when the anime introduced older Pokemon, it heavily features Gen 1 and Gen 3 Pokemon (both tied together). I think they'll announce Gen 3 remakes for 3DS, just to ease people into the 3DS more and prepare for Gen 6. I find it interesting that Ash's Charizard returns in the Genesect movie with it's wife/girlfriend too.

I forgot to mention... The data in BW2 lists a couple of key items from Gen 3 games that weren't used too. Problem is, remaking it on DS wouldn't be much enhancement on the old version and we already had DS remakes before.

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed that this Gen has taken a lot from Zelda? Music, Pokemon like Sigilyph, movies, the Meloetta Storyline in the anime sharing similarities.


I honestly don't know where to begin with this post :p

1. Reshiram and Zekrom having the colourscheme is nothing to do with Ruby & Sapphire. Red & Blue has been a running motif through all games. Red/Blue. Gold/Silver (with Red & Blue legends). Ruby/Sapphire. Pearl/Diamond and now Black/White & Black 2 & White 2

2. Not true. All Pokémon have been seen, the focus has actually been more on Gen IV Pokémon. Especially in the games. Plus, the abundance of Hoenn Pokémon would disprove RS remakes, as would the recent Japanese distributions for Kyogre and Groudon

3. For compatibility reasons, they can't have a game switch to the 3DS mid-generation. It'd cut off compatibility with the other games online due to the differences in the Nintendo WiFi Connection and Nintendo Network and the fact the two aren't intercompatible. Plus, there's no support for the DS anymore so...

4. That's a falsitude. Black 2 & White 2 don't actually have those Key Items, contrary to popular believe. It added the use of several Gen IV ones, though, even one which was coded in and never used. Gen III though, no. No VS Seeker, no Fame Checker or anything like that. I have no idea where this started, but this is the fifth time I have seen it this week
Serebii
41
User avatar
 
Posts: 278

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby ahad133 » 03 Jan 2013, 12:19

as much as i want a generation 6 i would like a renake of generation 3 pokemon ruby and sapphire
ahad133
2
 
Posts: 1
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby K-tet » 03 Jan 2013, 12:37

Serebii wrote:For compatibility reasons, they can't have a game switch to the 3DS mid-generation. It'd cut off compatibility with the other games online due to the differences in the Nintendo WiFi Connection and Nintendo Network and the fact the two aren't intercompatible. Plus, there's no support for the DS anymore so...

Just to pick you up on this. The Nintendo Network for legacy reasons has absorbed the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. The reason for the lack of incompatibility is due to the fact that the DS uses a Friend Code system per game, whereas the 3DS uses a universal console code (which is called the Friend Code). I've already tried to see whether cross-compatibility could be achieved with a certain Japanese game that's available on DS, Wii, and 3DS. While the DS and Wii versions are cross-compatible, they cannot communicate with the 3DS version over the internet at all. Local wireless however? Both the DS and 3DS versions can communicate with one another this way.

Not saying you're wrong, but just in case people question, there's your evidence. Hope that helps clarify other's confusion too.
K-tet
44
 
Posts: 810
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby torterratrainer » 03 Jan 2013, 12:52

i dont want more pokemon! i just want a nice generation 3 remake. emerald was the best game in my opinion followed by platinum and black/white1
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer
27
User avatar
 
Posts: 353
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 03 Jan 2013, 13:13

If it is a gen 3 remake, I will cry with happiness. But lets be honest it will be an obscure spin-off. Wasn't Pokemon Colosseum going to be remade on 3ds at some point. Might be that.

I have to admit I wasn't happy when they confirmed Gen 5 will be on ds. I mean Gen 1 was on gameboy. Gen 2 was on gameboy colour. Gen 3 was on gameboy advance. Gen 4 was on DS. Gen 5 was on DS again :/ Now they are in this mess. I know this isn't strictly true but still.
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM
35
User avatar
 
Posts: 211
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Toastie » 03 Jan 2013, 13:14

King Slazo wrote:Gen3 remakes ain't happening anytime soon.


Could you tell me how you came to this conclusion? If this Gen followed the same pattern as the previous one, then this would be the perfect time to announce R/S/E remakes. I'm sure those will happen, as Game Freak have struck upon a winning formula whereby they can make a pair of main series games every Gen without having to design a region or any new Pokemon, because they already did it a few years ago.

Regardless of Gen III Pokemon being available and whether or not there were hints in B/W and B2/W2, I'm sure Game Freak would like to stick to one of their many winning formulae and continue with remakes.

King Slazo wrote:It'll be a download event.


Junichi Masuda is going to be on the program, and he's always the one to announce main series games (he announced B/W), so I doubt it would be a download event. It could just be a spin-off, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least a game.
I HAVE CHORTLES.
Toastie
38
User avatar
 
Posts: 312

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby King Slazo » 03 Jan 2013, 13:22

Why?

HeartGold and SoulSilver were made because following FireRed and LeafGreen, everybody wanted Gen2 remakes. And why wouldn't they. Anybody around since the start recognises that as the high point of the franchise. Dig them out, return Kanto to full power as they had no memory limitations and boom, they're rolling in money.

Heck, I still remember the night when HG and SS were shown for the first time, and this forum went ballistic. There has never been such a strong show of support and love for any other Pokémon game.

But Gen3 never had that undying love and fandom. There are people who love it and would love to see remakes, but that number is hugely reduced in comparison to the cries for Gen2. The simple answer is Gen3 remakes won't happen just yet because they wouldn't make as much money, hence why we got Black and White 2 instead.
Image
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
73
ONM Moderator
User avatar
 
Posts: 5556

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby SteveSalmon999 » 03 Jan 2013, 13:27

I recon either a Wii U game (maybe like stadium or XD/colosseum)
or a 3DS entry (probably gen 3 remakes)
SteveSalmon999
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 66
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby BattleGooseUK » 03 Jan 2013, 13:29

If it isn't a new gen for 3DS or Wii U, blood... will be shed.
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK
36
User avatar
 
Posts: 112
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Serebii » 03 Jan 2013, 13:32

Toastie wrote:
King Slazo wrote:Gen3 remakes ain't happening anytime soon.


Could you tell me how you came to this conclusion? If this Gen followed the same pattern as the previous one, then this would be the perfect time to announce R/S/E remakes. I'm sure those will happen, as Game Freak have struck upon a winning formula whereby they can make a pair of main series games every Gen without having to design a region or any new Pokemon, because they already did it a few years ago.

Regardless of Gen III Pokemon being available and whether or not there were hints in B/W and B2/W2, I'm sure Game Freak would like to stick to one of their many winning formulae and continue with remakes.


Actually, Generation V is evidence that we should ignore all patterns previously set forth. As for hints, fans seem to continually take references to be hints when they are just that, references

Toastie wrote:Junichi Masuda is going to be on the program, and he's always the one to announce main series games (he announced B/W), so I doubt it would be a download event. It could just be a spin-off, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least a game.

Junichi Masuda and Morimoto being on Smash this weekend has nothing to do with the announcement. Contrary to what certain "fansites" are saying, we know why they're on there. They're the judges of the annual Pokémon Smash host tournament. This is the 5th one and they have judged each of the others.

Masuda has been on Smash for many reasons of than reveals. Hell, he showcased a Cubchoo and a Mewtwo event at one point
Serebii
41
User avatar
 
Posts: 278

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Jarmez » 03 Jan 2013, 13:41

This is probably related to the anime, film or series. Or as some one said, it could just merely be for a Wi-fi event.

K-tet wrote:For all we know, this announcement could be additional DLC for Black and White 2. However, look at what year we're in. ^.~

I predict with a fair degree of logic that it will be the Hoenn remasters for the DS. Why? There seems to be an 8-10 year interval for these remasters to surface. FireRed and LeafGreen were released in 2004, 8 years after the original Red and Green cartridges were released in Japan. Likewise, HeartGold and SoulSilver were released in 2010, 9 years after the original Gold and Silver cartridges were released in Europe (10 in USA, 11 in Japan). Ruby and Sapphire were both released in 2003. Now we're in 2013. It's most definitely possible that this is the case. Also, we all know that HeartGold and SoulSilver covered both Johto and Kanto regions respectively (as did the originals), and with both the 4th and 5th Gen games being DS anyway, it stands to reason that Hoenn is the only region that has yet to feature on the hardware. It's all pointing in the right direction for a Hoenn remaster. Educated tuppence for you all.

What I do believe is that it won't be a 3DS game, but perhaps it'll be a 3DS-enhanced DS game like Black and White 2 are. It's far too early to be releasing a fully-fledged game on the 3DS, especially one that's counter-intuitive to the other versions (in other words, why release a remaster for new hardware?). Gen 6 will most definitely be a 3DS game, I'm certain of that. Perhaps they'll bring it to Wii U as well (though before Game Freak have stated they don't wish to pursue this route). The 3DS can communicate with the DS however, so 6th Gen games should allow you to move Pokémon from say any of the DS games to the 6th Gen in much the same way as the 5th Gen games did is most definitely on the cards.

I'm definitely looking forward to this announcement in any case.


No no no no no. Ruby and Sapphire remakes should not be on DS. The only reason why Black 2 and White 2 were on DS, was because Nintendo didn't want to put the sequel games of the same generation as Black and White on 3ds, and alienate its fans (it would be bad choice to have same gen games on different consoles anyway). There is also a pattern in relation to remakes:

Red/Blue/Green = Game Boy.
Leaf Green/Fire Red = Game Boy Advance (2 gens away).

Silver/Gold = Game Boy Colour
Heart Gold/ Soul Silver = DS (2 gens away).

Ruby/Sapphire = Game Boy Advance.
Logically, Ruby/Sapphire remakes would be on 3DS (2 gens away).

Nintendo need to sell their 3DS products more, what would be the point in producing for the previous gen console still?
Image Graphics | Image T-shirts, phone cases, and pillows | Image Tweets | Image Jarmez | Image Jarmez7 | Image Jarmez7
Please say who you are in Friend Request message, otherwise I'll delete it. ._.
Jarmez
71
User avatar
 
Posts: 1949
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Waldy565 » 03 Jan 2013, 13:47

I'm sorry to lock this thread, but please continue you discussions here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=95840. haha :P jokes, but we are talking bout it here
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565
46
 
Posts: 1830
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Waldy565 » 03 Jan 2013, 13:49

K-tet wrote:For all we know, this announcement could be additional DLC for Black and White 2. However, look at what year we're in.


Haha, YES! This would be amazing, some are saying Game Freak might be makign games for Sony, this would be a MASSIVE loss for Nintendo...
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565
46
 
Posts: 1830
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Serebii » 03 Jan 2013, 13:59

Waldy565 wrote:
K-tet wrote:For all we know, this announcement could be additional DLC for Black and White 2. However, look at what year we're in.


Haha, YES! This would be amazing, some are saying Game Freak might be makign games for Sony, this would be a MASSIVE loss for Nintendo...


1. DLC is not possible on the DS
2. GameFreak is part owned by Nintendo, as is Pokémon. Not going to happen
3. Even if the above wasn't true, the Vita is doing atrociously. There is no logical reason for a developer to s**t the series to it from the massively more popular console to one that is dying
Last edited by Serebii on 03 Jan 2013, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Serebii
41
User avatar
 
Posts: 278

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Waldy565 » 03 Jan 2013, 14:09

Serebii wrote:


1. DLC is not possible on the DS
2. GameFreak is part owned by Nintendo, as is Pokémon. Not going to happen[/quote]

Point 2 very happy about, DLC not possible on DS? Just look at Layton, that's technically DLC :)
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565
46
 
Posts: 1830
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby Serebii » 03 Jan 2013, 14:12

Waldy565 wrote:
Serebii wrote:
1. DLC is not possible on the DS
2. GameFreak is part owned by Nintendo, as is Pokémon. Not going to happen


Point 2 very happy about, DLC not possible on DS? Just look at Layton, that's technically DLC :)

Those puzzles are technically already on the cartridge. We know everything that is on Black 2 & White 2
Serebii
41
User avatar
 
Posts: 278

Re: Pokemon announcement set for on 8 January

Postby shy guy 64 » 03 Jan 2013, 15:08

TenTen wrote:it's almost been 3 years, which is the usual gap between each generation, and the games are probably not going to be released for a while, so it could be gen 6.


its all just speculation but its seems more likely to me that gen 5 i s going to last 4 years like gen 4 did
life, don't talk to me about life
Image
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64
51
User avatar
 
Posts: 2790
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Moderators

ONM Staff

Return to Article Comments

Nintendo Co., Ltd. is the owner of certain copyright which subsists and trade marks and other intellectual property rights in certain content, characters, artwork, logos, scripts and representations used in this publication. All rights are expressly recognised and they are used by Future Publishing Limited under licence © 2006 Nintendo Co., Ltd. All rights reserved. "Nintendo", "International Nintendo Licensed Product" "Nintendo DS", "Nintendo DS Lite", "Nintendo DSi", "Nintendo 3DS", "Nintendo DSi XL", "Nintendo 3DS XL", "Wii" and "Wii U" and the associated logos are the trademarks of Nintendo Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.