Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best Wii U eShop games for 2013

Comment on site articles.

There are some great games coming to the Wii U's digital store

The best is yet to come from the Wii U eShop. Trine 2 is a brilliant game that every Wii U owner should download, Chasing Aurora is good fun to play with friends and although Little Inferno has split opinion, there aren't many essential download only releases in Nintendo's new digital store. That should change in 2013 as new games from excellent indie developers launch in the next 12 months.

... read more

Best Wii U eShop games for 2013

Postby Slinkington » 03 Jan 2013, 17:23

What an extremely biased list. All these games have very similar touches to them. Why're they all 2D or pixel art or those sort of "extreme difficult" type games? Why no mention of games like Zen Pinball (Or Pinball Arcade, which I think is better) I've not looked into what eShop games are coming but SURELY there are better choices than these..?
Slinkington

Re: Best Wii U eShop games for 2013

Postby tomonm » 03 Jan 2013, 17:29

Which games would you suggest are missing from this list?
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby ledreppe » 03 Jan 2013, 17:46

Slinkington wrote:What an extremely biased list. All these games have very similar touches to them. Why're they all 2D or pixel art or those sort of "extreme difficult" type games? Why no mention of games like Zen Pinball (Or Pinball Arcade, which I think is better) I've not looked into what eShop games are coming but SURELY there are better choices than these..?

The Cave isn't extremely difficult! The Cave is all I want from this list, the rest are 2d pixel art extreme difficulty games, which I instantly get turned off by. I love Maniac Mansion from the 80's, and The Cave seems to have been inspired from it. Ron Gilbert is one of my favourite developers. The article says released March 2013, but the trailer says January 2013?!
Last edited by ledreppe on 03 Jan 2013, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby MatthewONM » 03 Jan 2013, 17:49

Slinkington wrote:I've not looked into what eShop games are coming but SURELY there are better choices than these..?

That's the problem Slinkington (if that is your real name), there isn't a huge amount coming to eShop at the moment. Things will pick up once Wii U starts shifting more, but these are the current cream of the crop.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby MistaChristopher » 03 Jan 2013, 18:07

It's not ONM's fault, it just so happens that the best games coming out are 2D stuff. More things will come out in due time.

Anyways, these all do look good. Would buy some of 'em. ;)
Music FTW
Video Games FTW
TV FTW
~
That Lylat guy.
Music rawks mah sawks!
MistaChristopher

Postby jaco_p » 03 Jan 2013, 18:30

All these games look good enough to warrant a purchase. Pinball?? No thanks! Most stagnant genre ever, if you can even call it a genre
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby torterratrainer » 03 Jan 2013, 19:19

cloud berry kingdom: you have got to be bloody joking me.
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Postby LavaTwilight » 03 Jan 2013, 19:52

OOO, the monochrome game sounds real interesting but I'll need more info of course. The Cave is a game I have mixed impressions for. I'm so disappointed that Maniac Mansion has not yet been released for the VC and I'm still waiting for it, since it's one of (if not the only) game I've ever started and haven't completed in some definitive sense. Still, I'll see what the reviews say for The Cave... I'm not interested in the others tho.
LavaTwilight

Postby Lew3107 » 04 Jan 2013, 01:34

I don't think that Cloudberry Kingdom or Aban Hawkins should be on this list. Some games that should be here are Pier Solar HD, Toki Tori 2 and Ghost Recon Online. Hopefully Fez comes to the Wii U, and Unepic could be a good game too.
Nintendo Network ID: Lew3107
Lew3107

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 04 Jan 2013, 12:16

Of those, it's Two Brothers, Aban Hakins and the 1,001 Spikes and Runner 2 that I'm looking forward to the most. I'm a sucker for modern retro-inspired games with an 8-bit soundtrack, and Bit.Trip Runner was just so good that I'm really happy that it was chosen to get a sequel.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Commandervideo » 04 Jan 2013, 21:36

Easy mode on cloudberry kingdom looks like they've taken the level straight out of NSMB. :lol:
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby bowsersblog » 05 Jan 2013, 12:25

Definitely looking forward to The Cave, that really looks like something I'd pick up and play. Though I wish they would have added Zen Pinball 2 to the list, that should be a huge draw to this eShop this year.
bowsersblog

Postby smikey666 » 27 Jan 2013, 18:23

apart from runner 2 i'll get all of them (already got the cave) i most want toki tori 2 from eshop though if it stops getting delayed hope they're fairly spaced out though i already own 22 wiiu games (20 disc 2 eshop) planning on completeing every nintendo game for every nintendo console (home & handheld even started drawing up all 100% completion criteria for every game will take a while to finish) starting from 2013 so past completions dont count i own well over 750 games so lets see how i go god help my wallet! (& yes i realise to complete every game i'd have to buy runner 2 i'll just wait for a sale not really my thing)
sure Pac Man is a little round all he's done is eat for the last 30 years!
smikey666