Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Little Inferno review

Comment on site articles.

The GamePad, the GamePad, the GamePad's on fire...

Some games tear up the rulebook. The first thing you do in Little Inferno is burn one. A stylus swish flicks your fireplace's user manual into the hearth and a second prod applies the flame. Hold it nearby and the edges singe and smoke. Stick the spark right in the heart and the pages go up in a whoomf.

... read more

Little Inferno review

Postby 08boatfg » 03 Jan 2013, 18:49

I think, unless in an extreme situation (e.g. Angry Birds 3DS), the price of a game should not affect a review. Little Inferno is so addictive and interesting and deserves a higher score than 66% - 75% at a minimum, but it really should be 80% in my opinion.
08boatfg

Re: Little Inferno review

Postby Nin_Jake » 04 Jan 2013, 12:31

I wasn't expecting it to be over quite so quickly -- I'm glad I got it in the sale though...
Nin_Jake

Postby Fox_McCloud » 04 Jan 2013, 14:45

08boatfg wrote:I think, unless in an extreme situation (e.g. Angry Birds 3DS), the price of a game should not affect a review. Little Inferno is so addictive and interesting and deserves a higher score than 66% - 75% at a minimum, but it really should be 80% in my opinion.

People like you are why review scores have spiralled out of control.

66% is fine.
Fox_McCloud

Postby bowsersblog » 05 Jan 2013, 12:34

Little Inferno was great fun and it kept me interested until the end. I'm hoping the rumor is true about the developers adding the functionality of user created content into the game. That would make the game even more enjoyable.
bowsersblog

Postby 08boatfg » 06 Jan 2013, 14:26

Fox_McCloud wrote:
08boatfg wrote:I think, unless in an extreme situation (e.g. Angry Birds 3DS), the price of a game should not affect a review. Little Inferno is so addictive and interesting and deserves a higher score than 66% - 75% at a minimum, but it really should be 80% in my opinion.

People like you are why review scores have spiralled out of control.

66% is fine.

I was just saying what I thought. No need to get aggressive :roll:
Maybe 80% is a little high though, so I think 75% is alright.

bowsersblog wrote:Little Inferno was great fun and it kept me interested until the end. I'm hoping the rumor is true about the developers adding the functionality of user created content into the game. That would make the game even more enjoyable.

Yeah that would be great! :D
08boatfg

Postby Dertdood » 13 Jan 2013, 17:44

I think you really misunderstood the game in this review

It's not supposed to be fun, it's a critique of skinner box games mixed with a bit of environmental message.
The more I am exposed to the world, the more I feel like a character in satirical science fiction.
Dertdood

Postby TheSlenderman » 13 Jan 2013, 19:28

What? You pay £13 just to see how things will burn in a fire? Why not just do it for real?
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby MatthewONM » 14 Jan 2013, 17:30

Dertdood wrote:I think you really misunderstood the game in this review

It's not supposed to be fun, it's a critique of skinner box games mixed with a bit of environmental message.

Ha! That is absolute balderdash. Mimicking a horribly manipulative style of game still results in a horribly manipulative style of game, no matter how satirical your intentions. The idea of setting out to make something terrible - and being celebrated for it - is ludicrous in the extreme. The emperor has no clothes, and it's not my fault everyone else is too stupid to say it.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby Dertdood » 14 Jan 2013, 18:36

MatthewONM wrote:
Dertdood wrote:I think you really misunderstood the game in this review

Ha! That is absolute balderdash. Mimicking a horribly manipulative style of game still results in a horribly manipulative style of game, no matter how satirical your intentions. The idea of setting out to make something terrible - and being celebrated for it - is ludicrous in the extreme. The emperor has no clothes, and it's not my fault everyone else is too stupid to say it.

(Spoiler warning)
you have to think of the game as more than just fun

it's a deconstruction of gaming; presenting you with a repetitive game and then showing you at the end what you could have done with your time; you meet a woman who uses her time so well she is able to write a novel during the breaks and you walk past a bank where you could have invested all your money.

A game that can be good without necessarily being fun is much more unique and thoughtful than one of the thousands (if not millions) of fun games out there. Evolving beyond fun is what makes games an art form and not entertainment; the industry is starting to evolve with games like = Little Inferno coming out that force you to question yourself and it's a real shame that reviewers don't seem to be evolving along with it. You can't judge a game that is purposely not fun by how fun it is; you're totally missing the point. I'd agree that the price is a little steep but at the end of the day 12.99 for one of the most unique and artistic games out there is a worth it when there's only really one other game that is even comparable to Little Inferno, and making the game any longer would just be unnecessary, the game needs to waste some of your time to work but just adding some more catalogues and combos would be hypocritical for a game about showing you what you can accomplish when you overcome your distractions
The more I am exposed to the world, the more I feel like a character in satirical science fiction.
Dertdood

Postby X-Mysticala-X » 28 Jan 2013, 01:28

I am not necessarily saying that this is one of the best games ever made, but for me i believe that the score should be higher than 66% even just slightly, mainly due to the fact, that i found the game sort of like an experience, i was hooked, and completed the game in one play through, i had to later return to unlock all of the combinations, but this game made me laugh, panic, wonder and think all at the same time. It's definitely original, imaginative and interesting, which is more than most of these games which are released as a generic re-make of all of its pre-decessors.
X-Mysticala-X