Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

How Pokemon should evolve in 2013

Comment on site articles.

Pokemon superfan Marti Bennett reveals her wish list ahead of Game Freak's announcement next week

We are not even a week into the new year and it's already shaping up to be pretty exciting in the world of Pokemon. Game Freak's Junichi Masuda's recent message saying they 'intend to further evolve the world of Pokemon' and news of a big Pokemon announcement next week has many Pokemon fans speculating what's next in the series.

... read more

How Pokemon should evolve in 2013

Postby Riverlution » 05 Jan 2013, 10:07

I want the new mainstream game, on the 3DS, in 3D, and preferably not sprite based. It would be a complete graphic overhaul, and would most definitely make it feel like a brand new experience in my eyes.

Failing that, I'd like a Pokemon Snap 2. Honestly, I can see it working well on either console, and they could even make two seperate versions of the game. They could do amazing things if they made them completely different games too, each with exclusive pokemon and routes, and the ability for the two versions to interact with each other and possibly unlock more stuff.

Other than that, I agree with virtual console releases. I would love to play through the Trading Card adventures again (Though I also wouldn't say no to a modern one made for the 3DS Eshop!)
Riverlution

Re: How Pokemon should evolve in 2013

Postby j bean » 05 Jan 2013, 10:31

For me the best thing nintendo could do is to keep the main pokemon games pretty much the way they are but on 3DS and with graphics like the adventure mode on pokemon colosseum. Theres a reason the games so good and changing it too radically could ruin the game. Also I agree completly about the battle simulator game. I would love to put my team through their paces on the big screen and I really enjoyed the online battling on pokemon battle revolution. Something along the lines of skylanders could be good too as long as it was possible to keep the cost down perhaps by limiting which pokemon they release as most people (including me) could never afford over 600 models.
j bean

Postby mario_boi » 05 Jan 2013, 11:26

To the above user....... No No No! I like the sprite system for pokemon. It just works. I would like them to change it to sprites that are similar to Pokémon typing adventure. They look much tidier. As long as they get rid of all those rough edges, I'm happy!
Oh and a Pokémon snap sequel please (as is always on my Pokémon wish list)
mario_boi

Postby Slinkington » 05 Jan 2013, 11:41

Too early for next generation - Don't expect that for another year. Maybe we'll get a spinoff or two. Announcement of a new Battle Revolution would be nice, and not unlikely.

As for when they eventually release Gen VI Pokemon... I'm confident it'll be on 3DS, I just hope they keep the sprites and "noises" Pokemon make when they come into battle. No 3D models or "PokeVoices" please.

I know they've been using sprites up until now as the devs said that the art team love pixel art. They're also very talented with it. It'd look nice with the stereoscopic 3D.
Slinkington

Postby seamang » 05 Jan 2013, 11:51

I know I am going to get tons of hate from Pokemon fans but I think there are a number things there main Pokemon games should improve on the 3DS.

Firstly 3D. Both stereoscopic and polygon (OK the first one was obvious). Let us walk around in all directions now that we have a circle pad. If they could make it look like Ocarina of time 3D or Xenoblade chronicles (I know it's a lot to ask but still) and have a proper third person view point rather that the top-down one they've had for so long it would make the world far more interesting and vibrant places, places you want to spend your time in.

Secondly, no more random encounters. How about a world where all the wild Pokemon were visible to us from the start and to fight we just had to walk up to them and start a battle (similar to Xenobalde)? It would be less annoying and would help people see what kind of Pokemon are in the area as well as make the world seem more alive. If wild Pokemon are intended to be part of the challenge of an area, make some Pokemon more aggressive so that they will attack you when you come near them.

Finally, the battling. In my opinion unless you are in the NPC against other people, or possibly the champion and the end of each Pokemon game, battles don't offer that much strategy or challenge. My tactic for beating anyone is: find the move that does the most damage, spam that move until you win or you run out of pp. I think it would be great to see a little more skill and strategy go into each battle. I'm not saying it shouldn't stay turn based though just make the outcome of a battle more skill based rather than based on the type and level of your character (Bowser's inside story did this quite well)

In conclusion, I think that Game Freak, with power of the 3DS, could take the series into a new age while still keeping that familiar Pokemon feel.

P.S. Please don't kill me Pokefans.
seamang

Postby alexkinch » 05 Jan 2013, 11:58

The eshop gba games would be welcome but it most likely will be generation 6. By the time it will get released over here will be xmas so over a year since black and white 2 came out. Its not to soon for gen 6 and i think it will be on the 3ds.

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Postby K-tet » 05 Jan 2013, 12:05

I've already made my prediction as to what the big announcement will be in another thread. However, I would like to see more Pokémon Virtual Console games. Any from the main series would be awesome. I'd certainly throw £5.19 at Pokémon Blue on the 3DS Virtual Console, for example, but any spin-off's would be well-received by many. For me personally, I'd snap-up Pokémon Puzzle Challenge if it becomes available. Why? I love my Puzzlers, and I am a huge Puzzle League fan.

If another Pokémon Stadium game surfaced, I'd be mighty pleased. I never really liked Colosseum, it lacked the ethos of Stadium, likewise Battle Revolution's announcer was pants (ditch the animé counterpart and get that guy who does the announcements in the N64 games back). Pokémon Snap would be a good choice too.

Now as to how Pokémon should evolve? We'll be waiting another year on that one. I don't think Gen VI will be out until 2014 at the earliest, perhaps 2015. However, a Wii U/3DS cross-platform game would be an interesting one. I can personally see Game Freak move to 3D models (not sprites, because while they were excellent in Gen V, 3D models are the way forward) with an overworld system similar to the earlier 3D RPGs (e.g. FF7 through 9). I personally think that style would be excellent. I also have my own idea as to what Game Freak shall do, but until Junichi Masuda contacts me personally, I'm not spilling. I'd rather keep this one back and play the 'totally called it' card if I am right. ^.~
K-tet

Postby laytonluke911 » 05 Jan 2013, 12:09

I'm hoping for Pokémon snap 2 or Pokémon conquest 2. Getting bored of the main series games now to the point where I don't even buy them anymore.
Mario Galaxy 3 on 3DS. Make this so nintendo!
laytonluke911

Postby Paul Duffy » 05 Jan 2013, 12:20

personally id like to see a wii u game making use of the NFC or a new generation for 3ds

failing that

Snap 2 would be awesome
OR
a new pokemon pinball (i loved the 2 pinball games)
Paul Duffy

Postby Toastie » 05 Jan 2013, 12:27

If Game Freak were to keep sprites for overworld trainers and Pokemon, they'd need to justify it, because they could easily use 3D models now, especially as they already have 3D models for all 649 Pokemon. Firstly, I'd hope for MUCH more detailed sprites, as well as a way to stop them becoming pixelated when the camera moves and when they are animated. Perhaps they could look like the official Sugimori artwork.

Or (I'm not sure if this would be possible) they could do something like Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, in which the backgrounds are technically 3D models, but look 2D when viewed from any angle. If they did this with Pokemon and trainers, they could animate them without having to animate the actual sprite.
I HAVE CHORTLES.
Toastie

Postby torterratrainer » 05 Jan 2013, 13:28

a button that could vary between sprite based and polygonal model based battling would be great :D
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Postby Cacnea » 05 Jan 2013, 13:32

I agree that the main Pokemon games should be kept on a handheld console. Colosseum was disappointing (although I played it to the bitter end) and I gave up on XD early on. I like being able to play games anywhere and don't like being tied down to a mains console. The new 3DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game looks excellent, but I am disappointed it's taken so long to appear considering the WiiWare Mystery Dungeon games never made it outside Japan.

I expect to see 3D sprites in battle (turn based, of course), and simple 3D world view - a bit more sophisticated than the current 2D view, but definitely nothing in the scale of a true 3D rpg.
I'm short, round and spiky....and a part-time beach babe
Cacnea

Postby shadowlugia101 » 05 Jan 2013, 13:52

maybe the announcement is that they'll show off some new evolutions and release them via DLC or an event, as masuda did say the series would evolve, it could possibly be a clue
My 3DS Friend Code is 3222-5557-3599,PM if you add me.

shadowlugia101

Postby yoshimad » 05 Jan 2013, 14:38

Obviously I really want a new pokemon game - the new mystery dungeon looks amazing (although no confirm EU date yet, fingers crossed!)

But something to me really annoyed me whilst playing Black 2, not only is it first time I didn't both games but also it the first pokemon game I couldn't really immerse myself into. Mechanically and all thing Game Freak does well are all fine and dandy but I do think the series needs a overhaul in my opinion might as well make use of those 3D models that they have. :D
yoshimad

Postby TenTen » 05 Jan 2013, 14:46

I would most like to see some Gen VI announcement, and hopefully some screens. Personally, I don't think we need much more new pokemon, maybe just a few legendaries. Failing that, maybe another crossover, maybe with something like twewy or Farming Simulator. :wink:
TenTen

Postby Link Lee » 05 Jan 2013, 14:50

Its probably too early for Generation VI. It just started last year. Of course that doesn't mean I'm not dying for it to be released :D !
Link Lee

Postby Starman64O » 05 Jan 2013, 15:06

Just two things would be awesome.

1. Character Creation. This could work for either style whether Sprite or Polygonal. For classic sprite games you could choose from a pleothora of sprites, similar to the Union Room, where you are Scientists or Ace Trainers.
Or you could have a Battle Revolution style customisation with hair, hats, and clothes. Just a personal touch to the trainer!

2. VC release or similar. I can imagine something like this being done and working! I would guess that opening the Download software brings you to a main menu, where you can choose to go into the game or select further options, such as migrate. I can somehow see that working...
3DS friend code is 4596-9551-4435

'If you bully a fish on its inability to climb a tree
it will live out the rest of its life blaming itself for being incompetent'

A bit like introducing a Noob to EV training then?
Starman64O

Postby ThePokekid78 » 05 Jan 2013, 15:11

To be honest, GameFreak could just re-release Emerald in shops without changing anything at all and I'd buy it...

Who cares how it should or shouldn't evolve?! If it's Pokemon, I'm getting it!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Link9427 » 05 Jan 2013, 15:15

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Snap 2 for the 3DS or Wii U!
3DS friend code - 2750-1313-4447
PM me if you add it and I'll add you back.
Female Gamer..
Link9427

Postby Pyron12 » 05 Jan 2013, 15:27

Character creation should be announced. Why? Because it would be amazing. It could either be Mii-style or Battle Revolution-style. I hope for a bit of both to make things really good. VC rereleases are possible but not for Red and Blue. Imagine the pain of recoding it to include wireless features. Clearly not going to happen. For GBA Pokemon games that is entirely possible. A new spin-off seems likely but hopefully we get Gates To Infinity to calm us down. Going 3D is probably the biggest and most likely change.
So anything can happen!
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby skyluigi » 05 Jan 2013, 17:38

I would enjoy seeing a new 3D Ranger, or maybe Ruby/Sapphire remakes.
Failing that, how about a new spin-off entirely?
Woo hoo!
skyluigi

Postby CDS » 05 Jan 2013, 18:57

Pokemon Yellow remake in the style of Orre GCN games, with a third person viewpoint with the physhics of the Dragon Quest Monsters games [as let's be honest, we all know where that idea came from] on the 3DS. That's what I immediately thought of when I read evolve the first time.

Generation 6 I could see being revealed at E3 or TGC with all the features stated, but they wouldn't reveal them all straight away. For Virtual Console releases, I don't use it and nothing could convince me otherwise. Nintendo's weak point is online stores and accounts. I've never played Pokemon Snap so a full retail sequel would be a purchase for me on 3DS. However, I wasn't too fond of Dash, and I doubt any control system except the racer standard would make it work. I loved Colossuem and Gale of Darkness. Can't see how anyone wouldn't like them. Battle Revolution was a complete flop for me as it was bought and only occasionally used. If they could find a balance between the Stadium games and the Orre GCN games, perhaps having them as two separate things [Adventure and Stadium having their own menus] then it would be a great purchase for me. More surprises. What I posted first would be a surprise. For many, I am sure.
CDS

Postby IPecksU » 05 Jan 2013, 18:59

I want to see an rpg spin off on the wii u. Pokemon's potential on that system is enormous.
As much as I'd love to see a well made sequel to battle revolution or pokemon snap I think they would feel more suitable for eshop or as an extra mode to an rpg rather than as a full disc game imo.

I think encountering pokemon in a 3D game could be a little more like Xenobalde (e.g. you're walking in a huge field with your pokemon following you and you see a herd of rapidash in the distance, you target one with L and either set the pokemon you have out or something else in your party to attack and start a battle immediately without any drawn out battle introductions. Then just turn based battle in the style every pokemon game has except the animations would be quicker than in the other games. Unless of course you're using epic attacks like hyper beam or a legend's special move. This is a long shot but I'd like to be to have the option to try out a real time pokemon battle system, but I don't really have any problems with the current battle system except for the types being too unbalanced so it's no big deal to me.
IPecksU

Postby Kirby8 » 05 Jan 2013, 21:10

They have made this announcement sound like a big deal, so I really hope the announcement lives up to that. I'm REALLY excited for the 8th and hope we get something amazing. I'm definitely hoping for Gen VI announcement. It doesn't mean I expect them to reveal the whole next gen of pokémon or the next set of games, but maybe a "Here's a few new ones" and when we can expect the next games would be great! Of course it needs to be on the 3DS, making use of all the functionality. I don't think they need to stop using sprites. They should stick to sprites in my opinion, but give them a clean up so they look better and less pixelated.
I would also love some sequels to Spin-offs. Snap 2 is a necessity! I think it could work on the Wii U and the 3DS, they could always make both in a similar style to Smash Bros. I love Pokémon Snap so much and they really need to give us a sequel. Dream Radar seemed like a throw back to it and could be one of the additions to Snap 2 on the 3DS. Wii U edition would be pretty straight forward, Screen as the Viewfinder, TV as the whole landscape.
Also, Pokémon Stadium 3. Battle Revolution was a poor game. We need a game that is in a similar vein to Pokémon Stadium. They could have all the same parts, and maybe a few extra. All Gym Leader Castles, The Cups, and the amazing Mini Games!!
Also, a sequel to Colosseum and XD. While I'd never want the main series of game to be anything but portable, having Spin off adventures on the Home consoles was a lot of fun, and shadow Pokémon were pretty cool!

I'm thinking that if they don't talk about Gen VI, then the focus will probably be about Spin-offs. Either their making a new spin off series that will be amazing, or sequels...or both. Hopefully both!
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby IPecksU » 06 Jan 2013, 00:07

I've wanted them to ditch the sprites for the handhelds since the DS came out personally XD
IPecksU

Next