Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U sales are 'not bad' - Iwata

Comment on site articles.

Nintendo President on year-end sales

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said that Wii U has got off to a steady start even though the new console hasn't sold out in the US.

... read more

Wii U sales are 'not bad' - Iwata

Postby bigterence » 07 Jan 2013, 10:15

love it.miiverse is great,graphics superb,daily use by family.
bigterence

Re: Wii U sales are 'not bad' - Iwata

Postby testyal1 » 07 Jan 2013, 12:20

It's a good console, but the OS seriously needs to be remade. The loading times are verging on idiotic.
testyal1

Postby franksello » 07 Jan 2013, 14:07

Miiverse is better than i imagined, the gamepad more comfortable than i thought possible, and there are actually some great launch games (yeah i'm looking at you 3DS) it's a great evolution of great Wii and DS ideas.

As for sales not being as high as with the Wii, they were never going to be. The Wii hit a demographic that games consoles had never targeted before ( my mum has one). The appeal of the Wii was mass market and obvious, motion gestures that could be understood easily (Hence countless news reports of OAPs playing Wii bowling)

The Wii U is aimed more at gamers, not the casual fitness or party fans. As great as Nintendoland is, it is a much deeper game, and far beyond the simple elegance of Wii Sports.

The Wii U has impressed me from the moment i turned it on, it may not have been the same magic i felt when playing Wii Sports tennis from the first time, but i feel as a console it has much greater potential.

Will my mum be rushing out to upgrade from her Wii.... probably not, when i told her i'd just bought a Wii U her reply was "What's a Wii U"
Nintendo Network ID - franksello
franksello

Postby TheNUKEnukeM » 07 Jan 2013, 15:38

If the sales are not bad it doesnt mean they were good either. Oh well, the only way I am getting a wii u anytime soon is if nintendo announce a price drop :P
When I go out some people ask me-Hey what's with the name. Well My real surname is Newcomb. And its sounds like Nukem as in Duke Nukem the game character (never played it, im two young). So I have adopted it and put in frustrating capital letters.
TheNUKEnukeM

Postby PSinc88 » 07 Jan 2013, 17:44

I have owned a PS3 and a few Xbox 360's, I currently own a Wii U, 3ds XL and a Vita. I sold my old elite 360 to one of my bros. a while back (It eventually RROD'd) so I bought a 4gb slim model this last year as I fancied some online gaming, needless to say it gathered dust, especially as I realised how ripped off I felt from Microsoft over the past few years.
Firstly, controller has no rechargable battery, then I remembered paying £60 for a wireless adapter on my old Xbox 360, no HDMI cable with it, you have to pay to play online, on my 4gb i couldn't play co-op on halo without buying a HDD, I have just felt so ripped off down the years, and to be honest there isn't much variation of games on it either, at least Playstation has little big planet, these reasons made me realise the massive waste of money my 360 was, so I went and bought a Wii U (helped by trading in my xbox.)
The Wii U is everything I want in a console, all those problems I found with the 360 don't exist in the Wii U, sure it is not perfect, but it meets all my needs, and provides a great variety of games, I can play Mario and the current CoD on the same system, Nintendo have kept me satisfied since the NES, I enjoy Playstation as well, but my Xbox experience has brought me back to my gaming roots once more. Don't get me wrong, there are obviously those with the opposite opinion to mine, and that is exactly what this is, my opinion, but I am so much happier with my Wii U, especially looking forward to new Zelda and Mario games, I don't stare at it and think "why, oh why did I buy you" like I did with my 360.
These are the reasons I bought one, as I said, I know not everyone will agree. As for people moaning about the launch price, £250 is a lot better then the £425 I paid for my PS3.
PSinc88

Postby ThePokekid78 » 07 Jan 2013, 18:08

TheNUKEnukeM wrote:If the sales are not bad it doesnt mean they were good either. Oh well, the only way I am getting a wii u anytime soon is if nintendo announce a price drop :P

Same here bro, although I'd prefer them to announce some decent first party titles more...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby wghtmf » 07 Jan 2013, 18:48

I was buying a Wii U game in GAME today, and the guy at the counter said that he was the only person he knew who had bought a Wii U.
'Don't question game logic, or the universe will implode.' ~ PkGam, YouTube
wghtmf

Postby Mr Roboto » 07 Jan 2013, 20:11

It needed more exclusive games at launch ZombiU and Mario Bros was not enough.

A lot of people still think the Wiiu is just a Wii with a gamepad.

Gamepad battery life needs upgrading!

Loading times between apps needs improving.

Decent exclusive games makes a console and I reckon the Wiiu will be successful especially with a price cut before PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive at Christmas.
Mr Roboto

Postby Waldy565 » 07 Jan 2013, 20:21

Iwata-san makes a good point - selling 2 versions of a console is a real balancing act... Still, WiiU seems to have got to a great start here in the U.K., but I do know... would like to work as a financier for Ninty actually! :D
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Knightendo » 07 Jan 2013, 21:50

wghtmf wrote:I was buying a Wii U game in GAME today, and the guy at the counter said that he was the only person he knew who had bought a Wii U.

I wouldn't trust anything anyone in GAME says. I remember a few months after the first DS came out I was in buying a game and they were trying to push the PSP. The guy actually said the DS wasn't selling anywhere (which i knew was not true) and what I really wanted was the PSP. I put a complaint in with his manager that this guy was taking the p**s out of me and how dare he, not that anything would be done, but they'll force their own opinion onto people as they assume people will think they're the experts. The truth is they're just regular shop assistants pushing either what they own on to unsuspecting customers, or pushing what has the biggest profit margin even if they know it's not what the customer wants. I never shop there anymore and the way they treat customers I won't be sad if they go under.
Knightendo

Postby STUMPWEASEL » 07 Jan 2013, 23:51

Well I've yet to take the plunge, but I am intrigued by the Wii U, it comes down to cashflow at the moment. But I'll be getting a Premium Bundle as and when I do dip my toe in the Wii U waters. For me there's just not the killer app / game yet that means the console is a must have.

But I'd like to go back to
Knightendo wrote: I wouldn't trust anything anyone in GAME says... (&c &c) I never shop there anymore and the way they treat customers I won't be sad if they go under.

It's like any other chain of shops - you get good branches & bad. My local Game was a very good one; it closed in the summer but happily some of the staff moved to the local Gamestation (a store which I had mixed feelings about). It's now rebranded as Game and yes, the staff all have their personal preferences (as do I) but they do know their games and are always willing to talk the pros and cons of the various consoles. They were pro- Wii U when I was havering but didn't pressure me to buy and they know I'm not an X-Box fan so never force this issue.

Sure these stores have sales targets to meet, yes there's room for improvement, but if they go under where will I find that knowledge I currently make use of? Sure as hell won't be Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys or their ilk. The supermarkets are really only interested in the top selling titles - anything a bit niche just doesn't get the shelf space.

I think the second hand market also needs to be looked at so gamers don't get locked out of this area - but there has to be more in it for the studios. We'll all lose if Sony & Microsoft pursue their vaunted "lock to first user" plans for content on their next-gen consoles.
"There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl's complexion" Holly Golightly
STUMPWEASEL

Postby PSinc88 » 08 Jan 2013, 12:28

I went to GAME to buy Black ops 2 for the Wii U, I had seen HMV were selling it for £40 but I thought I would offer GAME first refusal of my cash IF they price matched HMV. Well to little surprise it was £50 in GAME, so I asked an assistant if they would price match HMV, he then asked how much, when I told him he looked utterly disgusted and told me I would have to go to HMV to buy it. I know they have to make money but if HMV can sell it for £40 why can't GAME? Surely it woukd of made sense to take my money rather then telling me to spend it elsewhere, because with GAME's inflated prices that is what they are practically telling people to do anyway. I really don't like them, when my mum tried to pre-order mists of pandaria for my brother the store assistant claimed he'd never heard of it and told her she must be thinking of guild wars 2 and tried to get her to pre-order that instead. When I bought Final Fantasy 13 the lad at the till said "good choice, final fantasy 7 is a real good game". Don't get me started on the fact they merged mine and my brothers reward cards together somehow, oh and how they destroyed Game station...
PSinc88

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 08 Jan 2013, 15:15

It'll be interesting to see what the Wii U sales are like this time next year.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby STUMPWEASEL » 08 Jan 2013, 19:32

imbusydoctorwho wrote:It'll be interesting to see what the Wii U sales are like this time next year.

To get the discussion back on topic, it's going to be very interesting to see how the Wii U fares over the next year. I hope it brings gamers back to Nintendo. When on form, they are amazing innovators and have brought out some fantastic games. And, before anyone shoots me down, they continue to do so.

It is to be hoped they can weather the storm - a two-horse console contest between Sony and Microsoft would make for a dull world indeed. It will be interesting to see how things develop now that Valve have revealed their new console...

Viva Nintendo.
"There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl's complexion" Holly Golightly
STUMPWEASEL

Postby Knightendo » 08 Jan 2013, 19:48

STUMPWEASEL wrote:Sure these stores have sales targets to meet, yes there's room for improvement, but if they go under where will I find that knowledge I currently make use of? Sure as hell won't be Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys or their ilk. The supermarkets are really only interested in the top selling titles - anything a bit niche just doesn't get the shelf space.

I can tell you now there's no expert knowledge in those stores. Anyone can get a job with no knowledge and there's zero training. You've as much chance of getting knowledge in HMV or any other store where the staff may show an interest outside of work, so I just choose to go there.

Any "knowledge" they have in GAME is what they get themselves if they're interested in videogames, and I find each staff member biased one way or another. Yes they could be pro-Nintendo, but they shouldn't be pro- or anti-anything when dealing with customers. I wouldn't trust a single thing in there, and as pointed out above their prices are way above any competition.

And besides, any shop chain that is known for forcing customers to buy new hardware with the shop's own choice of bundles, even though the hardware is supplied to be sold separately and advertised by GAME at the separate price (then the higher bundle price is actually what is forced upon customers in-store) shows how untrustworthy they are.

Lots of people no longer use them because of tactics like this and yet they're still at it and refusing to drop prices. I doubt they'll make Christmas 2013.
Knightendo