Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y Announced For 3DS

Comment on site articles.

A new generation of fully 3D Pokemon coming in October

We waited, we got excited and it was all worth it - Pokemon X and Y are coming to 3DS. With a release date set for October, these new Pokemon games mark the beginning of a new generation.

... read more

Postby onmsam » 08 Jan 2013, 12:48

i need them now :D
my Nintendo network name is MixableFire
onmsam

Postby K-tet » 08 Jan 2013, 12:51

This took us pleasantly by surprise, but Junichi Masuda inadvertently leaked the location of the game in his Twitter display pic. Shame the game isn't set here in England, because you know, it's a far superior country to France. =P </patriotism>

Those that called Gen 6 called it right. Gen 6 would've been my second option but instead I plumped for an RS remake. Oh well, I'm pleased either way. Worldwide release by October of this year too means the gauntlet has been thrown down by Iwata himself.

I'll probably pick up X. The flagship legendary looks boss!
K-tet

Re: Pokemon X and Y Announced For 3DS

Postby onmsam » 08 Jan 2013, 12:52

this game will really distract me when i go uni later this year
my Nintendo network name is MixableFire
onmsam

Postby vix_chan » 08 Jan 2013, 12:53

Oh-hoh, Yes, this is just what I wanted! :D
Am most definitely getting Y, and who knows, might even get X if I feel like it.
Starter has to be the Fire type.

I am so glad Nintendo have finally moved Pokémon onto the 3DS.
Can’t wait to use all the 3DS unique qualities in this game (I am so sure that AR and Streetpass will be used)

Just a thought, wondering if they are going to somehow make trading between the old Black and White to the new Y and X games possible...
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby K-tet » 08 Jan 2013, 12:57

vix_chan wrote:Just a thought, wondering if they are going to somehow make trading between the old Black and White to the new Y and X games possible...

Imagine a Pokémon Box app for the 3DS that accesses the Pokémon in your DS games and allows you to store them there. After that, you can upload them onto X and Y. That could most definitely work.
K-tet

Postby TomMc92 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:02

Fantastic news really enjoying white 2 so i can't wait for this release. The images you have look great, was hoping for a better looking pokemon and i'm not dissapointed. A world wide release too is brilliant as that means we won't have to wait like usual. I hope they keep dream world as i really enjoy that, or at least on improve on the idea. So is the better version of these two going to be Pokemon Z? I know it's way to early for that i just like the sound of it. I hope they also add more evolutions for older pokemon, really would like to see a lucario evolve form.
Most wanted games: Monster Hunter 4, Rune factory 4, Lugi Mansion, Dragon Quest 7 3DS, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate edition, Smash Bros game for 3DS and Wii U

Rune Factory 4 is on 3DS!
Finally have a Wii U looking forward to playing MH3U!
TomMc92

Postby Kirby8 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:05

I knew it was going to be Gen VI! Just had to be!! That direct was short and sweet but absolutely amazing! Was a bit shocked by the names, I thought they might be placeholders at first, until the legendaries and then the image of the games names! No more colour names, but then Diamond and Pearl aren't really colour names (but were linked to blue and pink), Gen II and Gen III are more metals and gems, but are also colours. These two are linked to blue and pink again.

Can't believe we are getting them before the year ends! So excited!!! AHHHH!!! The games look amazing! Bit sad to see sprites go, but it does look fantastic!! Fire for me, because I always get fire! And the legendaries looked amazing! So damn awesome! Looks like the deer pokémon would be X and the bird is Y! Love them both! X looks stunning! Y looks amazingly evil!

I WANNA KNOW MORE ALREADY! I can't wait until more information is released! Is the region going to "carry on" from Unova or be new, starting back at Route 1. What will it be called? How many new Pokémon are we getting? How big is the region? What else is new? Who are the baddies? Why X and Y? I'm guessing ties to DNA and gender?
Last edited by Kirby8 on 08 Jan 2013, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby Ursa Minora » 08 Jan 2013, 13:06

[quote="K-tet"]Junichi Masuda inadvertently leaked the location of the game in his Twitter display pic. Shame the game isn't set here in England, because you know, it's a far superior country to France. =P </patriotism>/quote]

Where did he say it was set? To me it looks as if it's inspired heavily by Europe, as you can see the Eiffel Tower and Spanish canyons in the trailer.
Ursa Minora

Postby zelda-legend93 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:07

Definitely thinking that the X and Y titles are in reference to DNA. I'm expecting more merging of Pokemon like Kyurem
zelda-legend93

Postby Shinnos » 08 Jan 2013, 13:09

I've never played a Pokemon game before, but I'm quite excited about the 3DS games and think I'll finally be taking the plunge and picking one up in October!
Shinnos

Postby vix_chan » 08 Jan 2013, 13:09

K-tet wrote:
vix_chan wrote:Just a thought, wondering if they are going to somehow make trading between the old Black and White to the new Y and X games possible...

Imagine a Pokémon Box app for the 3DS that accesses the Pokémon in your DS games and allows you to store them there. After that, you can upload them onto X and Y. That could most definitely work.

I am with you on that, no reson that they can't do it (they made a way to send pokemon from the old GBA carts to DS cards to as i recall)
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby Kirby8 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:16

K-tet wrote:

Definitely the best way to go about it! They definitely need a quick way to transfer the whole lot of your Pokémon to your new game in one go (or at least in big chunks!).
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 08 Jan 2013, 13:25

I'll wait for the inevitable Z version XD
Only joking! I won't be buying any of them.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Bulbasaur483 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:31

I predicted the names back in 2011. :shock:
The starters are weird, but I like that deer-like legendary. Why do the graphics look like it's a DS game, though? Anyways, I'm still looking forward to these games.
Bulbasaur483

Postby lrwr14 » 08 Jan 2013, 13:31

MartinIsAwesome wrote:I'll wait for the inevitable Z version XD
Only joking! I won't be buying any of them.

Who's to say Nintendo won't make a Pokemon X2 and Pokemon Y2? Pkm B2/W2 could be the start of a new pokemon trend
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 08 Jan 2013, 13:42

I want to see a Farfetch'd evolution its had no love since 1995 :(. Apart from that, will definitely be preordering this as soon as I can, I'm so happy that this is happening. If Iwata announces a Pokemon Snap sequel before October I will just explode with Pokemon happiness... and I definitely wouldn't get any Uni work done :D .

This year is gonna be all about the 3DS!
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 08 Jan 2013, 13:47

Shinnos wrote:I've never played a Pokemon game before, but I'm quite excited about the 3DS games and think I'll finally be taking the plunge and picking one up in October!

Forget October pick one up now!!! You won't be able to fully appreciate the epicness of 3D Pokemon if you don't :D .
I've waited since the GameCube and Pokemon Colosseum for this to happen and now it finally is!!!
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby ZodiacXYZ » 08 Jan 2013, 13:55

This game is going to be like £40 and I'm going to be like "Yes. That is fine. Would you like more?" I am seriously too excited for words.

EDIT: I'm also going to tip right now some connection between Luvdisc and Alomomola in this generation.
Last edited by ZodiacXYZ on 08 Jan 2013, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my work:
I...change...
My Tyranitar
ZodiacXYZ

Postby ZodiacXYZ » 08 Jan 2013, 14:05

K-tet wrote:Those that called Gen 6 called it right. Gen 6 would've been my second option but instead I plumped for an RS remake. Oh well, I'm pleased either way.
I wouldn't feel too bad, the only reason I wasn't counting on it is because the graphical update since Gen 3 and Gen 5 isn't so great that it'd feel much different from the original. But if I knew they were working on those graphics then Id be singing a different tune! Imagine Cycling Road, Mt. Chinemy, surfing on Mr. Briney's ship towards Staleport beach with full 3D graphics.
Some of my work:
I...change...
My Tyranitar
ZodiacXYZ

Postby Shmilly » 08 Jan 2013, 14:05

Absolutely blew me away. I love the outlining on the 3D sprites, it's much better than the 3DS models in terms of the actual Pokemon art direction. Since I'm going to Japan for a year in September, it looks like for the first time ever I'm going to have to import a Pokemon game xD
ビジュアル系のファン
Shmilly

Postby KLMOSS » 08 Jan 2013, 14:15

As a 32 year old gamer who still owns Yellow, Gold, Sapphire and White this announcement is EPIC! I will definitely be getting this delivered :) and yes I am aware I am that age and to some people too old but you know what I really couldn't care :P
KLMOSS

Postby toffeeman30 » 08 Jan 2013, 14:18

3d pokemon eh? i will stick to pokemon yellow ta
toffeeman30

Postby OrangeRakoon » 08 Jan 2013, 14:31

Fully 3D pokemon

This has been my dream since 1999.

This may well be the game that gets me back into Pokemon after Silver (I got Platinum but couldn't really get into it).
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 08 Jan 2013, 15:22

3D Pokemon = dream come true.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby kirlia trainer » 08 Jan 2013, 15:36

I'm so happy that I could cry! Good work, Pokémon!
I want to be a Pokémon master, I want to be a hero like Link. Want to eat like an Yoshi, what to you think?
kirlia trainer

Next