Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y looks amazing

Comment on site articles.

Serebii's Joe Merrick and our own Marti Bennett deliver their verdicts on the new games

We were stunned when Pokemon X and Y were announced this morning. Of course it was only a matter of time before we saw a 3D Pokemon game on 3DS but the news that the Pokemon X and Y release date is set for October all over the world is amazing. But what do the Pokemon experts think of the new games. Joe Merrick, founder of the excellent Pokemon fan site Serebii.net, and ONM blogger Marti Bennett deliver their verdicts.

... read more

Postby Commandervideo » 08 Jan 2013, 17:09

However, the X & Y plus inclusion of the double helix in the Japanese logos (pictured above) is intriguing. To me, it seems like this game will have some sort of Pokemon genetics feature so I can't wait to see how this is handled.

DNA it is then. Some say X,Y,Z dimensions. But I never noticed the helix in the logo. Defiantly DNA, or maybe a bit of both.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby DynamicPunch202 » 08 Jan 2013, 17:11

I wish October would hurry up and arrive, but I'm gonna have lots of fun building up to them.
DynamicPunch202

Postby CyberGW » 08 Jan 2013, 17:22

Great article.
I love the look of X and Y. The starters are absolutely amazing. Love Chespin but Froakie is also very cool indeed. I guess I'll have to wait and see the evolutions before I decide. And then the 3D world, brilliant. Just what I've wanted in the Pokémon series.
I'm not mad about the new legendaries yet, but they do look really rather cool and I'm sure when they've got names and we know their origins, they'll really grow on me. I was the same with Reshiram and Zekrom at first.
I also love how they both form an X and a Y, the bird one especially.
And interesting idea Marti, it could end up with a great story if they involve and genetic kind of idea.
Simply, cannot wait!
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Re: Pokemon X and Y looks amazing

Postby torterratrainer » 08 Jan 2013, 17:28

now i wants BW2!!! :(

why did i have to get Mario and wii U

shame i cant finish off with a pun as i finished Unit 1 Biology a year ago and am currently onto unit 3 with and exam in the next two weeks on unit 2.
Torterratrainer has evolved into AzureRathalos!
Hey monster Hunter fans! check out the guild hall on chatango for monster hunter chats and mingling :)
http://mhunterguildhall.chatango.com/
torterratrainer

Postby ThePokekid78 » 08 Jan 2013, 17:43

All the love for the starters honestly make me feel a little ill....but I won't rant, already left my (strong) opinions on them in the 'New Pokemon' article :)

I was honestly surprised by this. Clearly they've been working on the games for a long time, which explains why BW2 even exist.

So as I checked Serebii for the news, these are my reaction stages:

*Sees starters* "OMG KILL ME NOW SOMEONE PLEASE"

*Watched trailer* WOWOW FULL 3D = DIAGONAL WALKING LOOKS SICK AND LEGENDARIES ARE BEAST

*Pokemon X/Y* ....Oh.....well that sounds dumb, guess they ran out of colours at last

Still, was more excited for this news than I was by Christmas, and I was very surprised! Gonna miss the sprites though!
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby shy guy 64 » 08 Jan 2013, 18:27

its pokemon i'll love it no matter what
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby VinceLovesToast » 08 Jan 2013, 18:45

Cant wait 2 see new pokemon I,d like another water type legendary but poisin is the only type without a legendary so it should get one
VinceLovesToast

Postby Amidamaru » 08 Jan 2013, 19:42

wow nintendo are actually listening to fans for once, it only took them almost 15 years. Why didn't they do this the other year instead of bringing out the rubbish they did. Can't wait for October, I'm in a hurry to forget B/W and B/W 2
3DS FR: 2578-3106-1931
ACWW: 3224-6366-6571
Thanks to Giantchuchu for the avatar
Amidamaru

Postby Zuhzoo » 08 Jan 2013, 21:02

I agree exactly with this article! I thought of character customisation when I saw the mirror too, although I don't know if I am being too hopeful there. Even if the customisation was basic I would love it! Otherwise the look of the game is amazing.

I can't wait to play this! I was pretty excited for black and white, but this is something else :P
Zuhzoo

Postby CraigEmberson » 08 Jan 2013, 21:50

Commandervideo wrote:
However, the X & Y plus inclusion of the double helix in the Japanese logos (pictured above) is intriguing. To me, it seems like this game will have some sort of Pokemon genetics feature so I can't wait to see how this is handled.

DNA it is then. Some say X,Y,Z dimensions. But I never noticed the helix in the logo. Defiantly DNA, or maybe a bit of both.

It is possible that it's a double entendre, being based on D.N.A. and referencing the new updated 3D Space involved. 3D Space has an X, Y and Z axis. It's been pointed out that while both legendaries share the general pattern of an X and Y - They both have one eye that is an X and one that is a Y, as well as their body stature being posable in both formations (the Y legendary's wings, tail and head can also be an X and then we saw the X legendary in a Y pose). I have a feeling we'll see a Land, Sky and Sea theme - meaning that the 3rd will possibly be a sea creature.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby vix_chan » 08 Jan 2013, 22:13

The trailer started with the main character looking into a mirror. Could this mean customizable main characters? I hope so!

This is one think I have been hoping for in a Pokémon game for a long time now. How much better is it that players from around the world are all individually created.
I hope it is true, but who can say for sure...
Only time will tell.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby lrwr14 » 08 Jan 2013, 22:36

I guess Nintendo like the idea of merging two pokemon together (Pokemon black2/white2 did this) that they are going to make it the focus of the next game.
Imagine a really cool picture here.
lrwr14

Postby Kirby8 » 09 Jan 2013, 02:59

It was so obvious they were going to announce Gen VI before the actual presentation. They've never done one before and they made a big deal out of it. Masuda said Pokémon will evolve. Logical conclusion would be Gen VI and would have been surprised to see anything else.

The history of the games made me smile so much!! And when he was showing it all, you could tell he was going to announce Gen Vi, taking a giant leap as well as he was saying that Pokémon always takes use of everything. And with the narrowing dates, not just for Pokémon as he was pointing out, but for all big Nintendo games, I would have been surprised the the release wasn't simultaneous.

I was also very intrigued by the mirror. It could be an added customisation, but maybe it's just trying to show how far the graphics have come.

The visuals are breathtaking! It's sad to see sprites go, but then a guess the day had to come. And I'm not complaining...as they are absolutely amazing!! The world looks frickin' fantastic!! I can't wait to see more of it! Ooo, and how it's going to look in 3D, ahhh!!

When they showed the silhouettes, I thought "Damn! It's going to be like last time when they kept teasing us with silhouettes!"!! Like I said in my prediction, I thought they were going to show at least a couple of new Pokémon, and feared we'd be teased with silhouettes, which would drive me crazy and would have kept screaming "SHOW THEM." HAHA!. So glad that they did!! Definitely Fire for me too. I always get fire, so it's kinda moot. But Fennekin does look super cool! I can't wait to see how they all evolve! I want more already!

The new 3D battle system looks fantastic. Can't believe you turn it off on other games Marti. But glad you'll keep this one on. This blows BW version of 'dynamic' out of the water! It does make you think of the 3D battle systems on the home consoles, very dynamic! And it did make me think just how great Pokémon Stadium 3 could be!! WANT!

The legendaries look amazing!! I love how they both signify the letters, the bird being shaped as a Y and the Deer being shaped as an X (when it spreads it legs out that is, in the video it's more of a Y pose). They fit them nearly exactly with the colours being the same. Also, for Y, it has the wavy, flow 4 branch part on each end (like Y legend has claws on each end =, but only 3), and X has the wavy bits only at the top (like the Deer has branchy antlers, but normal legs). Definitely mascots for each version, I'd say.

The XY part to me immediately struck me as genetics related. I know you could have Z version and have it represent dimensions, but I didn't think so. I somehow think that they would more likely to X2 Y2. I think the storyline will be based around genetics this time. Maybe the baddies have some sort of gene splicer and it can help them make something amazing. Flashbacks of Mewtwo storyline and DNA obviously makes me think of Deoxys. I think that they are definitely going down a DNA storyline, but we'll have to see.

All in all, a short, sweet and AMAZING presentation! So hyped for this game!! Can't wait!!
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8