Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Why Pokemon X and Y aren't coming to Wii U

Comment on site articles.

The Pokemon Company explains all

The Pokemon Company has explained why Game Freak decided to kick off the next generation of Pokemon games on 3DS rather than Wii U. Pokemon X and Y are coming to 3DS in October and like the previous Pokemon RPGs, they are handheld-only games.

... read more

Why Pokemon X and Y aren't coming to Wii U

Postby Slinkington » 09 Jan 2013, 10:44

I find these games far better suited to the handhelds.

However, the Wii U is what Nintendo should be focusing on right now, we already have a few 1st party 3DS games coming out this year, but the Wii U we know nothing about really. Pikmin and Wii Fit aren't cutting it.
Slinkington

Re: Why Pokemon X and Y aren't coming to Wii U

Postby shy guy 64 » 09 Jan 2013, 11:36

thinking a main series pokemon game would come out for a home console is just wishful thinking
life, don't talk to me about life
sig was made by chocolate milk
shy guy 64

Postby Zen » 09 Jan 2013, 11:48

Pokemon games are better suited for handhelds, but that doesn't mean it can't function on a home console. It would be nice if they released Pokemon X and Y for the Wii U as well, it doesn't have to be one or the other.
Zen

Postby vix_chan » 09 Jan 2013, 12:05

I would like X and Y to be able to communicate with the Wii U ( a bit like how we have used our old games on GameCube and Wii as storage or 3D battles, but something more spectacular for Wii U I think)

We have to remember that Pokémon means Pocket Monsters, the whole point being that (not just the characters carrying monsters in little balls) the game is portable and that we can carry it wherever we go.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby LewiiG » 09 Jan 2013, 13:54

It definitely makes more sense for games like these to be mainly on a portable console...
But we definitely need another pokemon home console game! Colosseum and XD were amazing and we haven't had anything like it for years.
LewiiG

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 09 Jan 2013, 14:44

The games are more suited for handhelds,thought I wouldn't say no to a proper Pokemon game on Wii U.
Currently playing:Metal Gear Ground Zeroes
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
imbusydoctorwho

Postby Kirby8 » 09 Jan 2013, 15:56

It shouldn't be on the Wii U. I agree with their decision. Like vix-chan said above, it's called Pocket Monsters so they should come with you. Pokémon main series should always be handheld. They could give us a 3rd Shadow game, or a new spin-off if they want, and I'd love a 3rd Pokémon Stadium. That's what I want from the Wii U in terms of links to a/the full game. Pokémon Snap 2 would also be nice (PLEASE!).
Also known as NintendoMad888.
2-4-6-8
what pink blob do we love not hate?
k-i-rb-y
Kirbys a blob all day and night!!!

PARAMORE ROCKS!!!
NINTENDO 4 LIFE!!
COME ON MARIO PAINT WII (OR DS???)!!!
Kirby8

Postby CFCrusader » 09 Jan 2013, 16:10

They could be clever and release Pokemon Z for the Wii U, and have compatibility with the 3DS versions - so that you can trade pokemon to eachother. Z could also be a bit different to the 3DS versions, better graphics (no 3D tho) and more things for the story instead of wireless play.
CFCrusader

Postby adamatsu » 09 Jan 2013, 16:12

3DS has all the good Nintendo games this year.
adamatsu

Postby ThePokekid78 » 09 Jan 2013, 18:11

They've said it won't happen so I honestly don't know why people continue to get their hopes up...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Jake 346 » 09 Jan 2013, 22:46

Err... Who expected it to come to Wii U?
Jake 346

Postby Ankit » 05 Feb 2013, 21:42

I'd think these games would be great on a Wii U, the remote of the Wii U should have been portable and basically replace 3ds's so that you could save games on the WIii u AND on your portable device
Ankit

Postby Kain Davison » 22 Mar 2013, 17:55

I have always wished that they would make a Pokemon RPG for home devices. I have wanted this since he Wii first came out. Why can't they bring out the game and link the DS to the Wii U and then all corners are covered. However, if they were to create a Pokemon RPG for the Wii U, I think they should begin with remaking Pokemon yellow and letting people remember how pokemon started. (But with running shoes.) :lol:
Kain Davison

Postby xDry Bones » 11 Apr 2013, 20:51

I made this account strictly to say this, if the handheld aspect is the only thing preventing pokemon from hitting a console I would make a humble suggestion, I would love to see a way to play on the handheld as an extension of an MMO version that I desperately want to see eventually. All I'm saying is if I could play pokemon on the handheld as usual BUT come home and plug in to a system and suddenly were in an MMO scenario with all of your data or whatnot with a whole new objective. If you can make a mysterious gift function with a little pikachu walky interact with a gameboy, then take that idea on a larger scale and you'd have my money for the rest of my life! New games become new expansions and it will all flow together instead of a broken up continuation which eventually will become the beating of a dead horse! Just my opinion.
xDry Bones

Postby Zamros » 12 Apr 2013, 00:33

Nevertheless, I'd love to see another Console Pokemon game. Maybe bringing back Genius Sonority to develop it. It would save their talent going to waste on Learn with Pokemon and The Denpa Men.
Wii: 6192 3402 8156 8236
3DS: 3781 - 0288 - 9795
Zamros

Postby smashbrother » 14 Sep 2013, 16:05

Maybe they could do a Pokemon Stadium style game that has a X/Y game mode that works by uploading your save file just like on Monster Hunter, which would also have a few extras like colosseum mode, mini games, and a visual version of Pokémon Bank where you could see you Pokémon as if they were on a ranch or something, but not with the toy looking versions of Pokemon. There's potential and I'm sure the Wii U could handle it. I'd just quite like a Stadium game anyway with HD Pokémon. :)
smashbrother