Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y to feature more complex types of Pokemon

Comment on site articles.

The number of Pokemon goes over 700 with new games

Pokemon X and Y will feature more complex types of Pokemon. That's the word from Ishihara Tsunekazu, the President of the Pokemon Company.

... read more

Pokemon X and Y to feature more complex types of Pokemon

Postby Slinkington » 09 Jan 2013, 11:11

Black and White suffered because you fought such a small handful of different Pokemon throughout the story. They should really vary it this time. B/W 2 was a bit better about it, so I'm hoping this will be better still.
Slinkington

Re: Pokemon X and Y to feature more complex types of Pokemon

Postby hammster » 09 Jan 2013, 11:23

He wasn't speaking with 4Chan!
My Twitter
Xbox Live: sir hamm2
hammster

Postby boxdude10 » 09 Jan 2013, 11:24

You got this info from 4Chan?? Yeah, that's a really reliable source :roll:
BoxDude over and out
boxdude10

Postby SnorlaxMonster » 09 Jan 2013, 11:27

I think you mean 4Gamer, not 4Chan.
SnorlaxMonster

Postby BattleGooseUK » 09 Jan 2013, 11:27

4Chan... erm... I don't think so.
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK

Postby shy guy 64 » 09 Jan 2013, 11:31

good to know
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby King Slazo » 09 Jan 2013, 11:37

Freudian slip, Mr East? :wink:

But yeah, every gen features "complex" and "simple" Pokémon, so that's hardly news. Main interest willbe just how many they add. We'll be up to 750 total at least, maybe pushing towards 800...

Slinkington wrote:Black and White suffered because you fought such a small handful of different Pokemon throughout the story. They should really vary it this time. B/W 2 was a bit better about it, so I'm hoping this will be better still.

Not really. BW1 were intended as a new set of "originals", and I thought they did a great job with creating a whole new set (even if some were clearly just redos of Pokémon from the first four gens, like Chansey to Audino). Heck, fighting the Elite Four for the first time who all pulled out final evolutions you hadn't seen before was great. There was the occassional time where the lack of choice limited them I admit (Drayden and Iris's Gym comes to mind), but on the whole I didn't notice Pokémon repeating all the time.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby tomonm » 09 Jan 2013, 12:09

:oops: Yes, 4Gamer!
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Tailzy » 09 Jan 2013, 15:23

Just over 700 hundred isn't a lot, really. It doesn't look like the list will be as big as B/W at any rate
3ds fc: 0731 5021 3362
Tailzy

Postby Mew3 » 09 Jan 2013, 16:21

Instead of having more types, I think those "more complex types of pokemon" might be something to do with the dna references
Mew3

Postby PeterR » 09 Jan 2013, 16:48

Well that's interesting. I wonder what he means by more complex types. Maybe Mew3 is right and its to do with dna, in which case maybe it will turn out pokemon have recessive genotypes we have never seen and by breeding them in certain ways you can create all sorts of wonderful cross breeds of water charizards and psychic braviarys although maybe that would be going a bit far. Only time will tell i suppose.
PeterR

Postby BrychanCymru » 09 Jan 2013, 17:33

a light type would be great, maybe sun and moon?maybe there'll be 3 different types for one Pokemon? also a space and star type :D
I am awesome
BrychanCymru

Postby ThePokekid78 » 09 Jan 2013, 18:13

Don't think they'll add any types, I think what they mean by 'more complex' is the whole DNA theory, or just some cooler type combinations (like the starters being Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting etc)
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 09 Jan 2013, 18:53

When it says 'complex types' I think they'll either introduce new type combinations to make the type system more complicated or (and I hope this is the case) they'll allow us to change one type of dual type Pokemon, or possibly give them new types altogether which would link into the DNA aspect of the titles.

Bring on October so I can see if I'm right or not (and so I can get my hands on these games Dagnabbitt!!!!!)
:D
Last edited by Nintendo4Ever on 11 Jan 2013, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby thenintendoer » 09 Jan 2013, 19:34

i hate to think whatll be like when there more than 1000 pokemon
thenintendoer

Postby singlesaviour » 09 Jan 2013, 20:07

At first I thought maybe a new type, although I'd love to see maybe cross breeding or something? Also triple type Pokemon would be pretty awesome ^_^
singlesaviour

Postby Argenthor » 09 Jan 2013, 20:23

Mew3 wrote:Instead of having more types, I think those "more complex types of pokemon" might be something to do with the dna references

Very good point which I hadn't considered,

What about DNA mergers? (Similar to digimon's DNA digivolve) Maybe even requiring two pokemon to become one... e.g. Slowbro
Argenthor

Postby Accelgor7 » 09 Jan 2013, 20:58

There aren't really any new types i can think of.
Accelgor7

Postby K-tet » 11 Jan 2013, 13:11

I'm one for more types, I'm also one for more unusual dual-typing. Glad to see someone here likes the whole idea I proposed of Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting dual-type starters in another thread. Perhaps that will catch on. ^^

We'll wait and see. If anything, if they are going to add new types, it needs to bring balance to the metagame. Anything that checks Dragons in their entirety whilst holding a weakness to a lesser-type (e.g. Psychic, they're not as strong as they once were) would benefit the game in the long run. Ice isn't exactly a wonderful type defensively (given Fighting-type is one of the most excessively-used types in the game, plus Rock weakness puts it on the 'suck' list).
K-tet

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 11 Jan 2013, 15:59

Instead of more types, I think they should introduce more moves focused on reducing/ increasing special attack. Almost every stat reducing move is either for defence or attack, the only Sp.Att reducing move I can think of is that weak bug type move introduce last gen. Although new types (or new type combinations) would be good, I think they should pay attention to the fact that there's hardly any moves to reduce Sp.Att and a lot for physical attacks (there's even an ability that reduces it for Pete's sake)!
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby pppongi » 12 Jan 2013, 15:13

it's strange... when i first saw these Pokemon i thought they were fake and some random person made them but now...sheesh :?:
pppongi

Postby Zuhzoo » 13 Jan 2013, 00:41

If it means new type combos I would love to see some conflicting type combos like fire/water or grass/fire etc, could be really interesting. Grass/fire makes me think of those plants that survive wildfire/use it to spread their seeds. There could be other stuff like fire/ice or basically any combo we haven't seen yet, and I would be happy!

It would be strange to add a new type after all this time and I'm not sure what would work. And would old pokemon be reclassified like magnemite from the first gen? Light type seems kind of doable but unneccessary... it seems similar to electric or psychic (hey, another great combo there- electric/psychic). I can't think of any new type at the moment that would really be good in the games. I used to want fungus type when I was younger but the games have been fine without it.

*edit: I'd have to reserve judgement on triple-types to see how it worked. My instinct is that it shouldn't be done but I don't want to underestimate the potential of them because I would probably end up enjoying triple types! :lol:
Zuhzoo