Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y Legendary Pokemon named

Comment on site articles.

Xerneas or Yveltal. Who you you prefer?

The Legendary Pokemon who appeared in the first Pokemon X and Y trailer have been named.

... read more

Pokemon X and Y Legendary Pokemon named

Postby CFCrusader » 09 Jan 2013, 16:08

Uhh, I prefer Xerneas. Yveltas is a bit of a weird name, especially due to the fact that lots of kids will pronounce it "yuh-vel-tahs". Not to say that Xerneas isn't a weird name, but it's easier to pronounce and has a better look too (call me crazy). I see how they named the legendaries "Xerneas" and "Yveltas" when the games are called X and Y.
CFCrusader

Re: Pokemon X and Y Legendary Pokemon named

Postby zelda-legend93 » 09 Jan 2013, 16:17

CFCrusader wrote:Uhh, I prefer Xerneas. Yveltas is a bit of a weird name, especially due to the fact that lots of kids will pronounce it "yuh-vel-tahs". Not to say that Xerneas isn't a weird name, but it's easier to pronounce and has a better look too (call me crazy). I see how they named the legendaries "Xerneas" and "Yveltas" when the games are called X and Y.

It's Yveltal, not Yveltas. And it's not going to be that difficult for them. Black and White were meant to be for older gamers and I think that's what they're trying to do here as well.
zelda-legend93

Postby DynamicPunch202 » 09 Jan 2013, 16:23

I can see why they've named them like that, but I keep forgetting how to pronounce them, and then it all gets confusing. Though Xerneas is a bit easier to say, I think I'll struggle on through and go for Yveltal.
DynamicPunch202

Postby pokemaster » 09 Jan 2013, 16:25

I like Xerneas. Reminds me of the spirit from Princess Mononoke.
--------3DS Friend Code-4768-7430-9047--------
-PM me yours if you add me, so I can add you-
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Met my fiance because of the 3DS, I owe Nintendo everything. Miyamoto, Iwata and co. if you see this, you are invited to the wedding.
pokemaster

Postby K-tet » 09 Jan 2013, 16:26

Nice start to some motivational pics there Tom. =P

I love the names. They roll off of the tongue effortlessly. To me, Xerneas sounds like something you don't want, whereas Yveltal sounds suspiciously close to a girl's name.
K-tet

Postby shy guy 64 » 09 Jan 2013, 17:04

cool defiantly getting the one with xerneas witch i assume is X
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Ai64 » 09 Jan 2013, 17:06

Both the names seem tricky to remember but they are solid enough.
I might be going for Yveltal.
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby TenTen » 09 Jan 2013, 17:19

I prefer Yveltal, both sound like some sort of contagious disease.
TenTen

Postby j bean » 09 Jan 2013, 17:22

I'll be going for Yveltal. When I first saw the still of him I was'nt impressed but after seeing him in the nintendo direct video I was sold. Although like alot of people I'm a bit of a completist so I'll probabley end up getting both games.
j bean

Postby Mmmyeah » 09 Jan 2013, 19:47

Their both very cool looking and I'll be interested to see what their like in the game, although the names aren't exactly easy to say.

One thing that confuses me is that they both seem to be shaped like Ys. When I scrolled down I saw Xerneas first and what with its neck and antlers, it looks like a letter Y to me, so I presumed the other would somehow look like an X. But then I saw Yveltas and that looks even more like a Y due to its wings and tail. Sure, it would have to be a pretty strange Pokemon to resemble the letter X, but there have been weirder Pokemon designs.

I can't decide which I prefer.
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby me4ndubz » 09 Jan 2013, 21:03

Lol I don't think the ease of pronunciation is a deciding factor on which version to get. I'm just gonna wait for more information to be released as usual.
me4ndubz

Postby fisher2007 » 09 Jan 2013, 22:41

I prefer Xerneas.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.
fisher2007

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 09 Jan 2013, 23:23

Definitely getting Pokemon X if Xerneas is the mascot (it just looks amazing) then go on the GTS and get Yveltal or just get both then there's no chance of me getting an AR/ Pokesav knockoff.
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby hanssolon » 09 Jan 2013, 23:24

I actually like the look of both Legendaries, but I feel that many will have difficulties pronouncing their names. I do hope that the other new Pokemon has easy to pronounce names like the new starters.
hanssolon

Postby MrGooseyMoose » 10 Jan 2013, 10:56

Lol, nothing wrong with having hard to pronounce names. It's nice for variety to get something that makes you think before you say it. Big fan of both legendaries, probs my favs in a long time. I'd be happy with either, though I think I'm drawn to Mr Y :)
'I pity you, you just don't get it at all...there isn't a thing i don't cherish!' - Cloud
MrGooseyMoose

Postby maartenpitt » 10 Jan 2013, 11:35

Although Yveltal is the nicest, his name is quite disturbing. ee VELL tall is quite frightening. Xerneas is better sounding, one of the reasons I'll take X
maartenpitt

Postby neko paul » 10 Jan 2013, 14:10

Yveltal, hands down. he/she/it just seems just badass to me. Xerneas looks like it was based on the forest spirit from princess mononoke...
PSN: Nekopaul 3DSfreindcode:0688-5267-6494(PM me)
neko paul

Postby KH81314 » 10 Jan 2013, 17:00

Not sure which one to pick yet. I think I'm probably going to choose Yveltal.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Trans_Goth_Girl » 11 Jan 2013, 20:31

They're both badass I've just preordered my copy of both games from game.co.uk

Best looking legendaries EVER!!!!!! \m/
Trans_Goth_Girl

Postby ibz » 03 Mar 2013, 16:18

i prefer yveltal.is yveltal a dragon type?
ibz

Postby Catrax » 06 Mar 2013, 05:29

I think Xerneas is way cooler, and first of all, there hasn't been a single chital based legendary Pokemon yet (I think), and there's been so many dragon-like legendaries it's getting boring, and really annoying. Plus he/she/it is so majestic, I don't know how you could go for Yveltal especially since it's like a Lugia and Charizard mixed up into a weird looking... Thing.
I'll definitely go for Pokemon X 8)
Catrax

Postby raptor9897 » 08 Feb 2014, 21:02

The pronunciation is ee-vell-tall but you would say it as eviltal, I would rather prefer yveltal
raptor9897