Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y is an evolution rather than a reboot - Ninte

Comment on site articles.

Game Freak working hard to make games look slick and polished

The Pokemon Company has said that there wasn't a conscious decidion to reboot the Pokemon series with Pokemon X and Y. Despite being a 3D Pokemon adventure on a new platform, the company's International director of consumer marketing J.C. Smith has said that it is a natural evolution.

... read more

Postby shy guy 64 » 10 Jan 2013, 11:30

it looks awesome
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby maartenpitt » 10 Jan 2013, 11:33

First reply.
I think the same way, no reboot in any way with X & Y. There's more to it than another Gen. To be honest, i'm at an age where I should stop playing Pokémon but with this, I'll keep aiming to be the best!
maartenpitt

Postby vix_chan » 10 Jan 2013, 11:36

Games have always needed to Evolve to keep people interested.
Although older fans are happy with the franchise how it is, it's not pulling in new players to keep everything as pixelated sprites.

I love Retro as much as anyone else. But if Pokémon want to include new players as well as the old fans of the series then changes must be made to the game. And I think Game Freak have gone the correct way.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Re: Pokemon X and Y is an evolution rather than a reboot - N

Postby K-tet » 10 Jan 2013, 13:02

Wait a second... why would people insinuate these games as a reboot anyway? Pokémon is not only the biggest RPG franchise on the market today, but it's also the second biggest franchise in the video game industry (behind Mario). It hasn't died down or stagnated despite what some people say.

I guess some people say the wildest things. *shrugs*
K-tet

Postby Joe_Crow » 10 Jan 2013, 13:11

maartenpitt wrote:First reply.
I think the same way, no reboot in any way with X & Y. There's more to it than another Gen. To be honest, i'm at an age where I should stop playing Pokémon but with this, I'll keep aiming to be the best!

You're not at an age where you should stop playing Pokemon. They're fanastic, deep games, that are better than most of the trash that big devs come out with these days. Age doesn't come into it.
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll."

"A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Joe_Crow

Postby cthesupergenius » 10 Jan 2013, 15:35

BIG FAT YES - It's amazing!!
cthesupergenius

Postby garydbz88 » 10 Jan 2013, 16:23

The only Pokemon games I played on a handheld are blue, gold and leaf green. After that I went off Pokemon games because most of the new ones are to similar to each other Plus you can't beat the first 151 right? After seeing this trailer for Pokemon x & y I was totally amazed and really feel hyped to get it in October. I been waiting for this evolution for many years and It's finally come. Lets not forget Luigi's mansion dark moon that's going to be awesome too what a year the 3ds is going to have I CAN NOT WAIT!
garydbz88

Postby ThePokekid78 » 10 Jan 2013, 18:10

Well we knew Pokemon was always gonna go 3D at some point...yeah the games look great but I'm honestly going to miss having sprites! We've been playing with them for over 16 years and it'll be sad to see them go....

Actually I can just solve this problem by continuing to play Ruby & Emerald. As I already do.
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Argenthor » 10 Jan 2013, 19:04

I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!
Argenthor

Postby Linebeck013 » 10 Jan 2013, 23:06

Argenthor wrote:I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!

Exactly the same thought entered my head too!

Follow me on Twitter: @Spunk013

Check out my Tumblr page: http://s-punk013.tumblr.com/
Linebeck013

Postby meagman2 » 11 Jan 2013, 21:58

ok i am going to be true here i think that the trailer looks awsome and the graphics are epic but the player looks a bit mis shapen
if you were to to take my advise not to be mean but u should use a motion capture suit to get real human movments
or just make the avatar from black 2 in to a 3d model
but the battles are the most epic pokemon battles u guys ever made
u guys rule keep making pokemon games beacause they never dont seese to impress me :!: :!: :!:
rock on guys 8) :D
meagman2

Postby bloominblathers » 13 Jan 2013, 18:25

Joe_Crow wrote:
maartenpitt wrote:First reply.

You're not at an age where you should stop playing Pokemon. They're fanastic, deep games, that are better than most of the trash that big devs come out with these days. Age doesn't come into it.

could not of put it better myself.
bloominblathers

Postby TheSlenderman » 16 Jan 2013, 18:14

Argenthor wrote:I believe I saw that we can move diagonally now?

That, is a revolution!

About time, too.
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby garraofthedesert » 22 Jan 2013, 07:20

well my brother and i would like to see a slight change in the gameplay but don't know how to go about trying to get our idea to the creators. but a few ideas would be like if we got to choose which city to start and depending on where you start you would be allowed to choose different starters. and my brother wants them to try and incorporate what they did with silver and gold and try to make all the regions combined in one game so a total of about 40 badges now but that idea i have no idea of how they would go about it. and in the current direction they are heading with this 3d gaming i think they might eventually try and create something like WOW in which you would be able to go around and then possibly duel other people around the area but that would probably cause them to make it into an online computer thing because i doubt that would all fit on a ds disc. lol. so lots of ideas and as for this game so far i see an improvement on the design of pokemon but as for the water and grass starters. all i can say is scary. lol. i traditionally start with grass but this time it'll have to be fire =-) and i think i'll get pokemon y first then eventually x =-)
garraofthedesert

Postby Ankit » 05 Feb 2013, 21:46

I love new Gens, but I hope they are not scrapping remakes. I'd love it if they made a Hoenn Sinnoh combined remake :D
Ankit

Postby Jaffrotortoise3 » 20 Feb 2013, 18:38

garraofthedesert wrote:well my brother and i would like to see a slight change in the gameplay but don't know how to go about trying to get our idea to the creators. but a few ideas would be like if we got to choose which city to start and depending on where you start you would be allowed to choose different starters. and my brother wants them to try and incorporate what they did with silver and gold and try to make all the regions combined in one game so a total of about 40 badges now but that idea i have no idea of how they would go about it. and in the current direction they are heading with this 3d gaming i think they might eventually try and create something like WOW in which you would be able to go around and then possibly duel other people around the area but that would probably cause them to make it into an online computer thing because i doubt that would all fit on a ds disc. lol. so lots of ideas and as for this game so far i see an improvement on the design of pokemon but as for the water and grass starters. all i can say is scary. lol. i traditionally start with grass but this time it'll have to be fire =-) and i think i'll get pokemon y first then eventually x =-)

Firstly, there would need to be a milion starters, also, could just go to easiest place to get to other gyms, and things like people preventing u from going certian routes until youv done something would be harder.
Secondly, Its called pokemon global link where you can battle people across globe.
Wish there was a face palm smiley to put on end.
just trying to state the obvious
Jaffrotortoise3

Postby WeirdNerdWorld » 01 Mar 2013, 15:27

I can already tell that this game will be taking over my life. Goodbye real world.
WeirdNerdWorld