Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge review

Comment on site articles.

Not just your gaiden variety Wii U port

It was around the time we hopped along a line of missiles to deliver a deathblow to a helicopter that we realised Ninja Gaiden 3:Razor's Edge was a pretty silly game. Half an hour later, as we chopped up Alsatians decked in Kevlar body warmers, we realised it was a really silly game. When, just 20 minutes after that, we drove a katana into a cyborg T-Rex's skull, we decided this was the silliest game we'd played for a year.

... read more

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge review

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 10 Jan 2013, 13:17

tried to pre-order this today at hmv (belfast city centre) but they did'nt know if they where getting it in , no wonder there struggling !
5OUNDWAVE

Re: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge review

Postby toffeeman30 » 10 Jan 2013, 14:08

even with the flashy graphics and violence this cant beat the original nes ninja gaiden.
toffeeman30

Postby Kesskuron » 10 Jan 2013, 14:27

5OUNDWAVE wrote:tried to pre-order this today at hmv (belfast city centre) but they did'nt know if they where getting it in , no wonder there struggling !

They probably aren't getting it in because it isn't likely to sell a lot so it'd just take up space and money that could be spent on things that will sell; it's nothing to do with them struggling.
RB profile
Super Andre: I believe that fruit and veg WANT too be eaten
Kesskuron

Postby DFawkes » 10 Jan 2013, 14:32

That was probably my favourite Matthew Castle review I've read :) Not that there's anything wrong with the rest, I just enjoyed reading it a lot.

Looks like a fantastic game, and I was never really good enough at previous versions of the game to want to play that long, so this grab-dodge button sounds ideal for someone like me. That, as well as all the positive changes to the core game, certainly make the Wii U version seem like the one to go for (for now at least).
DFawkes

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 10 Jan 2013, 14:55

Looks like a really good game,I wouldn't mind getting it.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby ryane694 » 10 Jan 2013, 15:19

imbusydoctorwho wrote:Looks like a really good game,I wouldn't mind getting it.

It is a good game i had it for the xbox 360 and i didnt have any problems with it. The story is a bit random though. Thinking of picking it up at some point but i think i will wait until it goes under £30
ryane694

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 10 Jan 2013, 16:54

I haven't played any of the modern Ninja Gaiden games (I've only dabbled in the first NES and Game Gear games), so hopefully I won't experience the same disappointment from comparison to previous games.
The great thing about a review like this is that now I know what to expect and I can appreciate it's merits more when I eventially get to play it.

One thing that isn't mentioned here is the additional playable characters that I've heard about. How do they feature and what do they add to the game?
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby MatthewONM » 10 Jan 2013, 17:14

MartinIsAwesome wrote:One thing that isn't mentioned here is the additional playable characters that I've heard about. How do they feature and what do they add to the game?

Ayane aside, the other characters will be added as free DLC and weren't available in my review copy. We'll be covering them in a separate DLC review in the next issue. Basically, the DLC adds new characters for the replay mode, so you can try any story level with a character of your choice. You should be able to use them in the online mission mode, too, but I'm not 100% on that.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby JaySuthEFC » 10 Jan 2013, 17:27

Probably a game I'd look into if it was on the cheap and struggling for wii u games to play
Wii U I.D: JamesS89
Feel free to add!
JaySuthEFC

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 10 Jan 2013, 17:45

MatthewONM wrote:Ayane aside, the other characters will be added as free DLC and weren't available in my review copy. We'll be covering them in a separate DLC review in the next issue. Basically, the DLC adds new characters for the replay mode, so you can try any story level with a character of your choice. You should be able to use them in the online mission mode, too, but I'm not 100% on that.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to reading it!
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby KH81314 » 11 Jan 2013, 15:57

Still not quite sold on this game yet. Still might pick it up if I find it cheap.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby starmie68 » 12 Jan 2013, 21:13

Took me six vists to different shops to pick this up alot of shops said that it wasnt released this week very strange.

Got my copy and i have to say its better than the ps3 verison i played a few months back but the graphics dont look as good :cry:
starmie68

Postby PeterR » 13 Jan 2013, 14:06

I'd consider getting this but I'm not sure if I could stomach it, especially slicing up GSD's.
PeterR

Postby LewiiG » 14 Jan 2013, 00:48

Playing Ninja Gaiden Black in order to reach this game. It is a series I wanted to get into for a while. It's like Devil May Cry, but ninja. Difficulty and all. Good.
LewiiG

Postby dave666 » 16 Jan 2013, 01:08

OH NO YOU DIDN'T !!!

75% ??? are you serious

90% in my opinion because this game kicks a$$.

There are so many reasons why this is a great game

gameplay
graphics
content
controls
replay value

and that feeling of being a total bad a$$,if leatherface was a ninja his name would be ryu hyabusa.
dave666

Postby singlesaviour » 17 Feb 2013, 00:03

Considering buying this, after all, if ONM has restructured its rating system, then 75% isn't a bad score...
singlesaviour