Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y - Your verdict

Comment on site articles.

What ONM forum members have been saying about the new games.

Amazing! Incredible! Awesome! Just some of the things you've said about the new Pokemon X and Y games since they were announced yesterday. Judging by the reaction to the announcement, these new Pokemon 3DS adventures have jumped to the top of many of your most wanted games lists for 2013. Apart from those who wanted a Ruby and Sapphire remake.

... read more

Pokemon X and Y - Your verdict

Postby shy guy 64 » 10 Jan 2013, 16:02

cant wait to find out more
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Re: Pokemon X and Y - Your verdict

Postby carnivine chaos » 10 Jan 2013, 16:13

Unfortunately it seems like you can only move in 4 directions. If you notice in the trailer at one point, the character is running upwards and then makes a sharp, sudden turn to the left. Usually there'd at least be some sort of curving animation, or, at least you'd expect there to be.
3DS: 4811-6932-4056
Avvy goes to 71 - Victreebel
Emperor Evil: I thought Carnivine Chaos was a boy.
gobbadino: I still didn't know you were a girl, though......
Sir_Bowser: People on ONM aren't actual people.
carnivine chaos

Postby theycallmejack » 10 Jan 2013, 16:23

Hehe! I always love getting mentioned in these articles! I also hope we get to walk in more than 4 directions. The DS/Gameboys have all had D-Pads which have kind of necessitated the 4 direction thing, but now the 3DS has a circle pad then there's really no excuse for it to go on... Also, while the whole stretched screen size for Youtube thing is a valid argument, I still hope that GameFreak does polish things up a little. When I first saw the trailer I immediately noticed how square the male trainer's head looks. In fact, I don't really like his character design at all to be honest, he looks kind of like a rehash of the Generation V one... but still, the battles look AMAZING.
theycallmejack

Postby shy guy 64 » 10 Jan 2013, 17:00

theycallmejack wrote:I still hope that GameFreak does polish things up a little. When I first saw the trailer I immediately noticed how square the male trainer's head looks. In fact, I don't really like his character design at all to be honest, he looks kind of like a rehash of the Generation V one... but still, the battles look AMAZING.

if you look at the top left corner at the start of the trailer it says game footage not final
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Rafael Pereira » 10 Jan 2013, 17:08

It would be great if we could carry our pokemon by our side like in SoulSilver...!
Rafael Pereira

Postby lrwr14 » 10 Jan 2013, 17:13

My name is lrwr14, thank you very much lol. Sounds like this is going to be a big boost in the 3DS sales when it comes out.
Imagine a really cool picture here.
lrwr14

Postby Pyron12 » 10 Jan 2013, 17:21

I think that all Starters from Gen VI will be not as good as previous generation. Gen 1-5 had the best starters. Mudkip was famous for it's meme (so i herd u liek mudkipz), Snivy's and Chimchar's final forms were cool and Cyndaquil is easily my favorite fire starter. Charizard is just EPIC. The Gen 6 starters don't appear to have the same effect on me, although I admit the Fire starter could be my choice when I get Y.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby neko paul » 10 Jan 2013, 17:39

fennekin! fennekin! everywhere! its be like 2 days since they showed pokemon X & Y to the world and the internet sites such deviant art are full of Fennekin fan art. I haven seen pokemon hype like this in years, fells like the good old 90's again 8)
PSN: Nekopaul 3DSfreindcode:0688-5267-6494(PM me)
neko paul

Postby koopa_kicker » 10 Jan 2013, 17:52

Noticed from the trailer it appears that trainers can follow you around again (just before wild pikachu appears), presumely AI. Dunno how much of the game they are in and/or if they battle with you, but I'm fine as long as they refrain from defeating wild shinies as they refused to do in White 2 for me ...sad times... :(
Friend Safari: Panpour, Floatzel, Frogadier
Most shinies in one day on Pokemon X: 4
The times on wonder trade where I trade Eevee for Eevee...
koopa_kicker

Postby Gapa » 10 Jan 2013, 17:55

I think it would be awesome if when you used HM moves out of battle, you actually saw it happen, rather than just seeing an image of the Pokémon using it pop up on the screen.

It would also be good if they improved the battle looks aswell, to make it seem more like the Pokémon are actually fighting!
Gapa

Postby Smyrlie » 10 Jan 2013, 18:04

Yay, I was quoted! :D
I dont think yous I'll be able to walk in any direction because, as carnivine chaos pointed out, the character makes a sharp left turn in the video. But on the upside, at this point in the video, about 8 minutes 10 in think, both male and female characters are running beside each other, does this mean there could be a co-op option? I hope so. :)
Smyrlie

Postby ThePokekid78 » 10 Jan 2013, 18:23

Nice, my first time being quoted in an ONM article! Thanks guys!

And do forgive my cynicism, I love Pokemon really!

Though I do stand by what I said about the starters....
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 10 Jan 2013, 19:48

Before this I couldn't imagine how they'd be able to step it up from the Battle Revolution style battles but I guess thats why I'm not a game designer! The battles look incredible and I reckon the rest will too by launch (WHICH IS IN OCTOBER)
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby Dan-the-Wii-man » 10 Jan 2013, 19:50

Though there never was anything more about the release date...
Playing Zombi U and Nintendo Land and saving to buy Paper Mario. NNID SingSongDan :D
Dan-the-Wii-man

Postby TomMc92 » 10 Jan 2013, 20:28

When the game looks this good you really shouldn't complain about walking animations thats being a bit to picky. Just be happy that pokemon is finally looking amazing in full 3d. I really can't wait for the game after enjoying white 2 so much, this and monster hunter are my games of the year for sure. Really hoping for new evolutions of old pokemon, i know i mentioned it already but i have loads i'd like to see, would love to see a steel evee, robot type evolution would look great and ghost evolution as i'm just a big fan of ghost types in general.
Most wanted games: Monster Hunter 4, Rune factory 4, Lugi Mansion, Dragon Quest 7 3DS, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate edition, Smash Bros game for 3DS and Wii U

Rune Factory 4 is on 3DS!
Finally have a Wii U looking forward to playing MH3U!
TomMc92

Postby fisher2007 » 10 Jan 2013, 22:22

shy guy 64 wrote:cant wait to find out more
fisher2007

Postby CraigEmberson » 10 Jan 2013, 23:09

I just need to say one thing... STOP CALLING IT THE ORIGINAL DS! Seriously, how are you a Nintendo fan, without realising that the DS is the DS and the 3DS is the 3DS - not a new DS. It bugs me that almost 2 years on, nobody is getting it.
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby Rawful » 11 Jan 2013, 00:33

we just got black and white 2 a couple of months ago and now we are on generation 6. i will be picking up pokemon x ( or y depending on the exclusive pokemons.)
3ds games: new super mario bros 2, mario kart 7
games to get: S&ASRT, paper mario sticker star, pokemon white 2, mario tennis open and super mario 3d land.

3ds friend code: 1289-9459-3388
Rawful

Postby JMurf19 » 11 Jan 2013, 00:58

If FreddieHill is right with his XYZ Dimensions theory, then considering Z is for depth, the legendary Pokémon for Z could be a water-type (travel the depths of the ocean).
JMurf19

Postby Lew3107 » 11 Jan 2013, 01:02

I want to customize my character. Clothes, skin colour, facial features; I want my character to look like a virtual version of me, not just a generic Caucasian character again. Also, a full 3D game based on a grid based movement system might be a bit awkward and restrictive, so I hope they add a bit more freedom to it. Hey, the have a 360 degree circle pad, might as well make use of it!

I have to buy a 3DS for this game, though. The battles look great, the graphics are pretty good, and I actually like all 5 Pokémon shown in the trailer. I'm going to guess that Chespin is Grass/Dark, Fennekin is Fire/Psychic, Froakie is Water/Fighting, Xerneas is Steel/Psychic, and Yveltal is Dark/Flying. The European styled setting is pretty cool. I hope they have a city based on London!

I'm glad that old Pokémon are back too. I hope Eevee comes back, because I need my Umbreon. Usually, I would want Growlithe as well, but Fennekin looks cool enough to be my main Fire type. I hope they add some new Eeveelutions to this game. I'd love to see Rock, Fighting and Steel type Eeveelutions.

I'm sure that X and Y are to do with DNA. The Japanese logos have double helices in both X and Y versions. Maybe the antagonists are manufacturing/genetically modifying Pokémon to make them stronger/merge them with others? This could lead to some interesting type match-ups.
Nintendo Network ID: Lew3107
Lew3107

Postby CraigEmberson » 11 Jan 2013, 04:23

JMurf19 wrote:If FreddieHill is right with his XYZ Dimensions theory, then considering Z is for depth, the legendary Pokémon for Z could be a water-type (travel the depths of the ocean).

I think it's more likely to be based on 3D Space. As others noted: Y flies (just like a vertical Y-Axis), X travels across (just like the X-Axis), so it's safe to assume that Z should travel as a Water type.

I don't know what to make of it, if that is the case... Could this mean our Legendaries are also following the starter Pokemon types? and are they introducing triple types (I've always thought some moves should have double-types and some Pokemon could be classfied with a third type:

Xerneas: Psychic/Grass/Normal
Yveltal: Psychic/Fire/Flying
"Z": Psychic/Water/Fighting

(possibly?)
Craig-E
CraigEmberson

Postby GloverMist » 11 Jan 2013, 18:23

I am SO hyped for this it's not real. I am the only person that thinks that this could be better than Generation V? Either way, I bet you can walk in diagonals, I mean, what else would you do with the circle pad?
I've got two words for you, people: FALCON and PUNCH!
By the way, check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel! I'm currently doing a Let's Play of Super Smash Bros. Brawl!
GloverMist

Postby keir » 11 Jan 2013, 18:29

Can you trasfer your old pokemon :?:
keir

Postby IPecksU » 11 Jan 2013, 20:02

Maybe they could make EV training not be be something that sucks the fun out of the game. It'd be really simple; they could have you select the stat(s) you want focus on and with each battle you get a certain amount of points depending on the pokemon

e.g. you want to train attack so you select attack, then you ko a chansey and get 2 points in atk, or if you want to train attack and speed you'd select both then get 1 or 2 points in each. Or if you KO a machop you'd get an atk bonus so it'd be 3 atk and 1 or 2 in speed. Chansey would probably give a HP bonus but you'd only get that if you selected HP to train.

Also would it kill them to add a bars or counters that show you how many EVs your pokemon has in each stat?

That's my idea anyway, I like the idea of being able to level up ad EV train at the same time. Don't know what anyone else thinks of it :P
IPecksU

Postby Combusken » 11 Jan 2013, 21:17

GloverMist wrote:I am SO hyped for this it's not real. I am the only person that thinks that this could be better than Generation V? Either way, I bet you can walk in diagonals, I mean, what else would you do with the circle pad?

GameFreak could decide to use the circle pad as a way to rotate the camera so rotating the circle pad in a full circle causes us see what going around us in the game in a full 360 degress circle similar to if we were to move our feet around (and thus the rest of our body) slowly in real life while standing in the same spot.
Combusken

Next