Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U close to 1 million sales in the US

Comment on site articles.

New Super Mario Bros U is the best-selling game

The latest Wii U sales figures have been revealed for the US. In just 41 days, Nintendo has sold 890,000 Wii U consoles in the country and shifted 580,000 copies of New Super Mario Bros U.

... read more

Wii U close to 1 million sales in the US

Postby ledreppe » 11 Jan 2013, 12:46

Overall though the Wii U is kind of struggling. The PS3 and 360 outsold the Wii U over the whole of December, European sales have been significantly lower than in Japan and US. I'm hoping it'll pick up the pace again when big titles like Rayman Legends and LEGO City Undercover and Pikmin 3 come out in the coming months.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Re: Wii U close to 1 million sales in the US

Postby K-tet » 11 Jan 2013, 13:19

This is actually really good news, although ledreppe, the system isn't really struggling at all. The 360 and PS3 have an established userbase, plus with their technology being so cheap nowadays means those systems will sell at a lower price. They offer more for the end consumer at such a low price so there's no real reason at this moment in time for Nintendo to be worried. The launch line-up was good, but not entirely strong. It did cater for most people, but like with everything, you can't judge a system by its launch. People will pay for new technology. After time, it will depreciate and the system will get cheaper. As early adopters, we know the pitfalls, and it's our decision on whether or not to invest at launch or later.

As far as the US news is concerned, even I don't think Reggie was entirely expecting the system to sell so well in eight weeks. There were hopes of course, but it's found its feet pretty quickly, and it proves people will still buy Nintendo products. The software line-up will continue to become stronger, and who knows, they might have a surge in sales in the near future when Rayman Legends and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate are released. For quite a few people I know are banking on those games before they buy the system.
K-tet

Postby KH81314 » 11 Jan 2013, 14:15

To bad for the Wii U. Thought it would sell better. Good news for the DS. Best selling console ever.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 11 Jan 2013, 16:51

People, people, people... one million is still a big number, and it's managed to achieve this amount of sales:
In under two months!
In America alone!
Combine it with the worldwide sales, and wait a few months, it will be o.k, it's not selling badly, like the Nintendo haters make it feel. :mrgreen:
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby Serebii » 11 Jan 2013, 17:33

ledreppe wrote:Overall though the Wii U is kind of struggling. The PS3 and 360 outsold the Wii U over the whole of December, European sales have been significantly lower than in Japan and US. I'm hoping it'll pick up the pace again when big titles like Rayman Legends and LEGO City Undercover and Pikmin 3 come out in the coming months.

European sales haven't been significantly lower, UK sales have.

Also, you can't really compare legacy consoles which are put on sale for massive discounts over new consoles. The logical way to compare would be to compare to their first months and the Wii U would stand above them
Serebii

Postby PSinc88 » 11 Jan 2013, 17:48

Serebii wrote:
Also, you can't really compare legacy consoles which are put on sale for massive discounts over new consoles. The logical way to compare would be to compare to their first months and the Wii U would stand above them

Exactly, Xbox and PS3 sales figures are irrelevant as these are not consoles of the same era. Compare sales of Wii with the other two, not Wii U. Plus, it has only been out under a couple of months and because it has not sold as many as Xbox or PS3 it is apparently doomed to some people.
PSinc88

Postby ledreppe » 11 Jan 2013, 17:58

Serebii wrote:
ledreppe wrote:Overall though the Wii U is kind of struggling. The PS3 and 360 outsold the Wii U over the whole of December, European sales have been significantly lower than in Japan and US. I'm hoping it'll pick up the pace again when big titles like Rayman Legends and LEGO City Undercover and Pikmin 3 come out in the coming months.

European sales haven't been significantly lower, UK sales have.

Ok, if we compare like that then the PS3 still beats the Wii U in America for both systems' first month on sale.
Nintendo Network ID: BigAl79
3DS Friend Code
Getting: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Rayman Legends.
Mii QR Code
Twitter
YouTube
Where Nintendo lead, others follow!
ledreppe

Postby PSinc88 » 11 Jan 2013, 19:09

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/11/h ... i-u-launch

This article helps clarify launch sales figures for many platforms
PSinc88

Postby thenintendoer » 11 Jan 2013, 19:26

rememeber the 3ds sales they were relativly slow to start off with and then they quickly picked up the pace and look at it now
thenintendoer

Postby Mr Roboto » 11 Jan 2013, 19:58

Finally something positive about Wii U
Mr Roboto

Postby KarlMarx1818 » 13 Jan 2013, 15:56

Considering stock limitation (as with every new console) means the Wii U could only sell finite amount it does matter whether the PS3 or Xbox 360 outsold it. It's sold loads despite a luke warm media response.
KarlMarx1818

Postby Knightendo » 13 Jan 2013, 18:45

Given the link above provided by PSinc88, all I have to ask is: ledreppe, where on earth are you plucking your facts from?!

Great to read this positive IGN feature. Apart from this site and the mag I don't go hunting down Nintendo news elsewhere anymore, got so sick of negative press a couple of years ago when I was really into my Wii. It seemed to be the thing to do, beat down the most popular console, same goes for Apple products now, so I just read one mag for my Wii U and one for my iPad and the rest of the world can think what they like :) So yeah, it's good to see this.

To be honest, as long as it's popular enough to feed me with excellent games for about 4 or 5 years I'll be happy. Those who don't buy it, it's their loss :)
Knightendo

Postby TheSlenderman » 13 Jan 2013, 21:06

Remember the dreamcast? It did well for the first few months then died when ps2/GameCube/Xbox came out. I'm sorry, but all I can see is the same thing happening again. To ps4 / 720! Wii u rocks!!! :D
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman