Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

10 most violent video games in Nintendo's history

Comment on site articles.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is just the latest game that shatters Nintendo's family-friendly image

Wii U would appear to be very different from Wii. While Wii had a family friendly image, in the first month of the Wii U's release four violent 18-rated games have hit the console. The latest, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, is arguably the bloodiest of the lot with vats of blood spilled as you slice through bone and muscle. It's all a bit silly but you might need a strong stomach to handle it. Yet, violent video games appearing on Nintendo consoles is nothing new.

... read more

10 most violent video games in Nintendo's history

Postby ACRID » 11 Jan 2013, 17:00

The controversy surrounding Manhunt 2 had died down by the time it sneaked out on Wii with little fanfare a year after it had arrived on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Manhunt 2 was never released on the HD home consoles, it was PS2 and PSP.

I got bored of Scarface after a few hours, it just seemed to be lacking in character and I felt I was playing it more for the movie than anything else.

I remember playing Mortal Kombat on SNES at a friends house and couldn't understand why there was no blood code to 'turn on the good stuff' ABACABB & DULLARD will be forever etched in my mind.
Currently Playing: Link's Awakening DX [3DS]
ACRID

Re: 10 most violent video games in Nintendo's history

Postby Pyron12 » 11 Jan 2013, 17:25

MadWorld crosses the line twice. In a level and in the final battle against the Black Baron because you find out he ISN'T EVEN BLACK (In his theme Look Pimpin')! Again, crossing the line twice.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 11 Jan 2013, 18:12

What about No More Heroes? NMH 2: Desperate Struggle in particular with it's opening where the protagonist, Travis Touchdown, swears directly at you, the player, before entering a fight with Skelter-Helter which ends with with his head being cut off, sent flying into the air and land back on his neck. If I remember rightly, he still talks after that... somehow. Also, Matt Helms death and post-fight cutscene where rather violent affairs.
Again it's more comical than anything, but still I wouldn't want to play it with my mum in the same room.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Trans_Goth_Girl » 11 Jan 2013, 20:37

Where's the revamped versions of Resi Evil 1 and 3 for the GC (2 didn't look that great for what the GC was able to do)
Trans_Goth_Girl

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 11 Jan 2013, 22:10

MK2 is my favourite snes game of all time , it was the game that made me sit up and notice nintendo , it was just as good as the arcade !
5OUNDWAVE

Postby Sonic_Freak » 12 Jan 2013, 01:14

I love your top 10 features, but do they really need to be spread across 10 pages? :?
Sonic_Freak

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 12 Jan 2013, 13:07

Trans_Goth_Girl wrote:Where's the revamped versions of Resi Evil 1 and 3 for the GC (2 didn't look that great for what the GC was able to do)

That's because Resi 2 on Gamecube was a straight port of the PS1 game which didn't even have the improvements that the N64 version had. For the record, Resi 3 on Gamecube was also just a straight port of the PS1 game, again with no improvements. I believe that Resident Evil 1 was the only game in the series to get revamped on Gamecube.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby TheSlenderman » 13 Jan 2013, 20:20

Yes, these games are violent, but in terms of scarey-ness, they have nothing on Slender Man!!! :mrgreen:
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby CaptainFuckNuts » 13 Jan 2013, 21:44

the more i play violent video games the more violent I become myself...for example I sometimes beat my goldfish...with the other goldfish
CaptainFuckNuts

Postby sedativegod » 14 Jan 2013, 03:31

so ninja gaiden 3 is essentially devil may twixt dead or alive?
having never played the series i was unaware of this, i know feel a compulsion to buy these games!
sedativegod

Postby TheAPERSON » 14 Jan 2013, 13:32

Wait, didn't Chinatown Wars get released on the PSP a few years after the DS release? If that's the case then it isn't an exclusive.
R.I.P ONM
TheAPERSON

Postby toffeeman30 » 14 Jan 2013, 14:20

the new wii u game ninja gaiden 3 is showing that nintendos willingness to shirk their kiddy perception
toffeeman30

Postby deKay » 15 Jan 2013, 13:45

No Carmageddon 64?!
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby deKay » 15 Jan 2013, 13:46

TheAPERSON wrote:Wait, didn't Chinatown Wars get released on the PSP a few years after the DS release? If that's the case then it isn't an exclusive.

It was an exclusive at the time. It's on iOS too.
Game Over, Yeah!!
deKay

Postby pokemaniac 212 » 15 Jan 2013, 14:07

CaptainFuckNuts wrote:the more i play violent video games the more violent I become myself...for example I sometimes beat my goldfish...with the other goldfish

Please stop trolling, although on the off chance this is serious its probably not the best thing to have admitted unless you want the RSPCA on your case.
LGonm: poke you're so [removed] liberal
pokemaniac 212
ONM Moderator

Postby captain1531 » 16 Jan 2013, 17:56

Ninja Gaidin 3 Is One Of The Violentest Games I Know But Ryu Hayabusa Is Much Less Violent In Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper.
captain1531

Postby dave666 » 17 Jan 2013, 22:07

I love manhunt 2 on the wii and still play it to this day.

I remember the bit where you practice the kill motions at the beginning and all the can hear are the sounds of er.......killing. after that you just knew this was very different from any other violent games you had played before.

I can remember watching that toilet kill on the internet and just thinking holy $h!t

but still not as sick as the first one
dave666