Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Pokemon X and Y wish list

Comment on site articles.

Chris Rooke wants bigger cities in the first Pokemon 3DS adventures.

The letters X and Y have been used to symbolise a vast array of things during their multi-millennia usage: commonly found as algebraic variables in mathematics, or as denoting sex-determining chromosomes in the human body, or even as theories of human motivation. This week, they were given a whole other meaning: the version titles (although, as pointed out by Joe Merrick of Serebii on Twitter, these are first English Pokemon game titles not to include the word 'version') of the new Pokemon games.

... read more

Pokemon X and Y wish list

Postby Gapa » 12 Jan 2013, 09:43

There already is a beach resort in B/W...
Gapa

Re: Pokemon X and Y wish list

Postby shy guy 64 » 12 Jan 2013, 19:27

i dont think open world is necessarie and it would be interesting to see more types but i doubt it'll happen
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Serebii » 12 Jan 2013, 19:30

Tossing in a few more type combinations would be fun, as would removing IVs from the game - while competitive players will disagree, it is a totally alienating feature of the game to many players, preventing them from being able to engage with the competitive side of the game, and Pokemon community, fully.

I disagree with this Chris.

IVs are what make each Pokémon unique. To remove them would make every single Pokémon the same. What they need to do is prevent people hacking/RNGing to get flawless Pokémon, and with the games on the 3DS, that is what they have done.

Besides, I don't mess about with IVs and I win the majority of my battles. I know people who ranked in the VGC and WiFi competitions without messing about with IVs.

It's not as big a problem as people make it out to be
Last edited by Serebii on 12 Jan 2013, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Serebii

Postby IPecksU » 12 Jan 2013, 19:47

Would definitely love to see an open world and less linear pokeon :) Maybe we can get a wii u spin off that'll do it open world style :P Still would love them to ditch random battles and change the encounters to be xenoblade style while keeping pokemon esque batte mechanics. And EV training can be made much less depressing rather easily.

And I agree with serebii, IVs are quite nifty. Makes my pokemon feel a little bit more special :)
IPecksU

Postby HughPR » 12 Jan 2013, 20:04

Serebii wrote:
Tossing in a few more type combinations would be fun, as would removing IVs from the game - while competitive players will disagree, it is a totally alienating feature of the game to many players, preventing them from being able to engage with the competitive side of the game, and Pokemon community, fully.

IVs are what make each Pokémon unique. To remove them would make every single Pokémon the same. What they need to do is prevent people hacking/RNGing to get flawless Pokémon, and with the games on the 3DS, that is what they have done.

Besides, I don't mess about with IVs and I win the majority of my battles. I know people who ranked in the VGC and WiFi competitions without messing about with IVs.

First of all is this Serebii as in....you know, actual Serebii??? If so coooool :P

And I completely agree. I never bothered about IVs until Gen 5 and I did fine when I battled friends/played a bit online. They prevent everyone having exactly the same pokemon, else battles would essentially be entirely down to luck. They're not a game-breaker though. Removing them would just be...wrong!
HughPR

Postby dunc247 » 12 Jan 2013, 20:42

Loved the introduction.

The 'level adjusting - freedom to explore areas in order of preference' is a quality idea. Sadly don't see it happening though :(

As for IVs, I'm a bit on the fence. While they do importantly add a huge layer of 'uniqueness' to pokemon, it's depressing knowing that one has to put so much work in (anything but fun) to get a 'perfect' pokemon :/
Britain's Best Nintendo Gamer finalist: 2009, 2010
dunc247

Postby Komodo_Wolfgang » 12 Jan 2013, 21:48

HughPR wrote:First of all is this Serebii as in....you know, actual Serebii??? If so coooool :P

And I completely agree. I never bothered about IVs until Gen 5 and I did fine when I battled friends/played a bit online. They prevent everyone having exactly the same pokemon, else battles would essentially be entirely down to luck. They're not a game-breaker though. Removing them would just be...wrong!

Lol, new to ONM forums? yes its the 'real' Serebii

I agree with Chris though, the discovery IVs and EVs on the widespread front ruined the game for me. I like collecting pokemon I think look great and what attacks would suit them, but EVs and IVs render some pokemon practicaly Useless.
Whatever happened to "there is no such thing as the worlds strongest pokemon"?

On another note... the trailer has made me dubious. It says you can encounter SOME of the pokemon you know. Does that mean, even after completing the new dex, you wont be able to send others across?
My Animal Crossing New Leaf Tumblr! http://oakwoodnl.tumblr.com/
3DS:4141-2043-8010
DreamCode:7500-2191-1369
NID; Komodo_Wolfgang
Wiitabix wrote:I still feel we haven't seen the best of the Wii U yet, no where near.
Komodo_Wolfgang

Postby king of Games » 12 Jan 2013, 22:21

I hope that now pokemon has moved onto a powerful handheld we can see something that i loved from the pokemon ranger games. Where you can actually see the wild pokemon and be able to dodge them rather than just the random battles of the previous 5 gens. Also the possibility to catch evolved pokemon earlier than in previous gens.

I would also like to see something taken from the anime series where you can meet wild injured pokemon and have to heal them or take them to the pokemon centre. So when they have been healed depending on how fast you managed to heal them they might challenge you to a battle to see if you can capture them.

Last but by no means least I wish for a return to Hoenn in these games, seeing as though we have had no word on the remakes they have usually done by now. I could see a reason to go to Hoenn as part of the actual storyline just like in Fire Red/Leaf Green when you had to go to the Sevii Islands to continue on in the story.
ImageI will destroy all EVIL
king of Games

Postby RiksilveR » 12 Jan 2013, 22:29

Personally I'm not bothered about IV's, I didn't even know they existed till the feature in ONM a while back, but I reckon the more competitive players will rage if they're removed. What I want to see is some form of difficulty setting so that more seasoned players can have a greater challenge from the very start whilst not alienating newbies.
I'd also like to say (again) the Underground needs to make a return. It's the only side-game in the series to actually have some use (other than slots, but they were never as much fun anyway and they just got too complicated) what with it supplying you with Stones and Fossils and stuff.
RiksilveR

Postby jaykthepikachu » 12 Jan 2013, 22:39

Yeah i think the Cities should be at least Castelia City size
Personally i thought Nimbasa looked more like a Town
because it was so small and yeah Perhaps Pokemon should be more Open World
EDIT:@^
I agree the Underground should come back,i enjoyed that a LOT
and well wasn't the key System A Difficulty Setting
Perhaps if they have that WITHOUT the need to get the other version
jaykthepikachu

Postby Waldy565 » 12 Jan 2013, 23:45

I agree on most of that list - Chris sounds like he wants to go for more of a world that is closer to the anime - this is something I have been crying out for for an age. But getting rid of IV's is what makes each monster unique. I'm not a Pokemon Master (official title: MIT = Master in Training :P) but IV's do really give Pokemon, the series that is, the edge over all other collect-em-ups... but yeah, nice list Chris! As mentioned, I WANT MOST OF THIS! hehe
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 12 Jan 2013, 23:49

king of Games wrote:Last but by no means least I wish for a return to Hoenn in these games, seeing as though we have had no word on the remakes they have usually done by now. I could see a reason to go to Hoenn as part of the actual storyline just like in Fire Red/Leaf Green when you had to go to the Sevii Islands to continue on in the story.

I only quoted this one because I never though of this, but your other ideas are amazing too bro/sis! But yeah, I was, to be honest, quite disappointed that no info on a Hoenn remake was announced, but this could totally work! Good thinking Batman, if that is your real name... don't ask.
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby VaatiKaiba » 13 Jan 2013, 00:54

Serebii wrote:

I'm slightly surprised that IVs are the main point of contention from this blog!

Yes, I totally agree that IVs make each Pokemon unique, and I totally believe there should be a way of differentiating Pokemon. However, I just wish it was implemented in such a way that it couldn't be abused by the truly obsessive competitive players as it is at the moment. Even keeping IVs, but not allowing people to check what IVs were held by an individual Pokemon might fix that.

It's not a problem for in-game battles, but I really feel that it is for competitive play. I don't consider using soft-resetting, and other methods, to get the "perfect" Pokemon a feature of the game, and so I do see it as an abuse of the implemented system when players do harvest Pokemon with specific IVs. I know that I would never do that, as that is as far away from being fun as is possible for me to imagine, and yet there's no point in me entering the competitive sphere when that sort of practice takes place. I do feel it's a massive problem: I've been playing Pokemon almost as long as I can remember, but I don't feel I can get involved in competitive play.

So I'm not against the concept of IVs (which is admittedly how it came across in the blog), but their current implementation. But really, I think this is a debate about whether practices like soft-resetting are how the game was intended to be played. I'm assuming not.
I write regular blogs for the ONM website, check them out!
Follow me on Twitter @chrisrooke
Looking for anyone in Dublin who has Pokemon Ranger 3 with the Deoxys mission - PM / Tweet me!
VaatiKaiba

Postby Hams96 » 13 Jan 2013, 05:45

The bigger cities were what actually put me off 5th Gen. If I wanted to explore a city, I could just hop on a train to Glasgow
Hams96

Postby KH81314 » 13 Jan 2013, 08:50

I agree that stuff like Pokestudios should be thrown out the window. Sidequests would also be great. I dont think we have to add more types I think that shouldn't change.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Pokemon Luke » 13 Jan 2013, 09:24

Throughout All The Forums And Speculation about X And Y (That Ive Been On) No One Has Thought Of Mentioning About Using This Particular Feature From The Anime

In Normal Battles In Game You Do Turn To Turn Battling Whereas In The Anime The Terrain Has Uses For Example Ash Tells Pikachu To Use Thunderbolt On The Floor Causing An Attack Almost Like Stone Edge To Attack The Opponent, If I Am Not Mistaken... there Are Tonnes Of Other Examples Too

But For Pokemon X And Y I Am More Than Happy With The 3D Polygons Battling

As For The New Pokemon I Think Around A Third Will Be Just New Evolutions, They Added Some In the Second And Fourth Generation So Why, Not The 6th But If Game Freak Are Good Enough They Will Hopefully Scrape Over 800 Pokemon.

But Thats All Mainly Hope...
Pokemon Luke

Postby Tamzily01 » 13 Jan 2013, 09:56

Personally, the thing I want most from these games can be summed up in three words: fully orchestrated soundtrack. The 3DS is more powerful than its predecessor, and so having a proper orchestra instead of a synth orchestra would be a nice change. Plus, I can already imagine hearing a few accordions in the city based on Paris.
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby Pyron12 » 13 Jan 2013, 10:27

I really want the Underground system to come back. It was just great. They had the perfect opportunity to do this with Clay but it never happened.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby keir » 13 Jan 2013, 11:47

Will pokemon Y and X have nintendo network,spotpass,streetpass,creat your on pokemon trainer,any new pokemon moves or region and types :?:
keir

Postby Smouvy » 13 Jan 2013, 11:54

While on one hand, I'd like to have actual city-sized cities, Castelia city was a pain. For example, when I wanted to see that one guy in the lobby of that one building who was also collecting medals to show him off mine in B2/W2, I'd have to go through all of the buildings before I finally found the one he was in. let alone if I actually needed to search for someone on a building's top floor.

It wasn't fun remembering that a certain person you want to talk to is in Castelia city, but you have no clue where.
Smouvy

Postby 06harrisj » 13 Jan 2013, 12:26

While we're on the subject of stat modifiers, the thing that always frustrated me was natures. Competitively, they are very useful for making that Sucker Punch powerful enough to KO something, or to make your Eviolite Chansey that bit bulkier, but they just irritate me in-game. I find myself always catching something, and then checking the nature against Smogon's list and endlessly catching more until I find one with a workable nature so I don't end up with a dud pokemon.

While I'm not suggesting that natures are removed from the game, I'd like to see their in-game effects neutralised a bit. Perhaps the system could be tweaked so they only have an effect in multiplayer, or after you beat the E4, for example?
06harrisj

Postby Combusken » 13 Jan 2013, 12:34

More former player characters from other generations (e.g. Dawn, May, Nate, etc) making an appearance as strong trainers after we beat the Elite 4. (So far we have only had Red as the only former player character that be battled against outside their generation's games in the games yet in the anime we have seen May in Sinnoh and Dawn in Unova.)
Combusken

Postby ThePokekid78 » 13 Jan 2013, 15:11

HughPR wrote:
Serebii wrote:I disagree with this Chris.

First of all is this Serebii as in....you know, actual Serebii??? If so coooool :P

Yes, it's the actual Serebii lol.

But yeah, IVs should stay. There are even people saying EVs should be scrapped, which seems ridiculous! If casual players do feel 'alienated' from competitive play due to advanced mechanics like IVs, the solution is simple: they need to learn.

It's the same principle for anything in the world: you don't know how to do something, so you learn, and then you can do it. I don't see what the problem is with advanced mechanics in Pokemon.
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 13 Jan 2013, 15:54

It's not exactly a wish but... I think this Gen will be adding more pre/ evolutions for Hoenn and Unova Pokemon as they both have the most unevolved non-legendary Pokemon in the series (Hoenn = 18 and Unova = 14). Obviously some will stay unevolved but it is interesting how new pre/ evolutions are introduced in every even numbered generation and I believe gen 6 will continue this trend.
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Postby nintendo rules » 13 Jan 2013, 16:17

proper pokemon cries
i love my girlfriend
3ds name Steven
3ds fc 1676-3669-8578
NNID Nintyrules123
black 2 FC 524408114926
ac new leaf dream code 6000-2194-6895
nintendo rules

Next