Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Why Chespin is the best Pokemon X and Y Starter

Comment on site articles.

Who will you choose? Vote for your favourite Pokemon X and Y Starter Pokemon

In Pokemon Black and White I picked Oshawott, I chose Chimchar in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and I think I'm going to complete the set by picking Chespin as my Starter Pokemon in Pokemon X and Y.

... read more

Why Chespin is the best Pokemon X and Y Starter

Postby mario_boi » 14 Jan 2013, 14:19

Hey! I already started this Poll in the Pokémon forum :(
Anyway, I pick Chesoin too!
mario_boi

Re: Why Chespin is the best Pokemon X and Y Starter

Postby Tamzily01 » 14 Jan 2013, 14:31

FENNIKIN ARMY UNITE!

Though Chespin is a close second for me. There's just something about that smile...
Looking to get into Pathfinder RPG
3DS: 0688-5598-6231 NNID: RedGuard587
ImageImage
Youtube Tumblr Twitter
Tamzily01

Postby KH81314 » 14 Jan 2013, 14:57

How is Chespin loosing. He looks like the best basic starter pokemon and will be the first grass starter pokemon that I choose. I still not decided though. I have to see the evolutions before I make my final decision.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby IPecksU » 14 Jan 2013, 15:01

This is what I love about the pokemon designs; the designs never cater to one specific group. There's something for everybody. Even if it does make everyone argue! Anyway QWILFISH FTW

I like all the starters this time round so it's tough but I might go with Fennekin depending on the evolutions.
IPecksU

Postby metalgario » 14 Jan 2013, 15:05

It's more important what there final evolution looks like for me
metalgario

Postby Commandervideo » 14 Jan 2013, 15:33

Chespin for me. *votes* Ouch! Chespin is getting a hammering in the poll.
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby marioman268 » 14 Jan 2013, 15:39

Ill probably choose Fennekin, i mean come on its a Fire Fox, perhaps I should call it Mozilla :D
Like a midget at a urinal i was going to have to stay on my toes
marioman268

Postby Ai64 » 14 Jan 2013, 16:52

I'll likely go for Fennekin. A fox or not I find it the most attractive of the three. :)
PM me for 3DS friend code or Wii U.
Ai64

Postby TheSlenderman » 14 Jan 2013, 17:12

Chespin looks a bit odd, but I'm going with it, since it is the only one of the three that is clearly NOT just an animal with some funny pattern on it. Also, THAT SMILE!!! :D
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby LewiiG » 14 Jan 2013, 17:20

Fennekin. Fire types have always been my first pick. Not because they are fire, but because they look awesome. Imagine the final evolution! Fennekin's stage 3! I still like the other the starters though.
LewiiG

Postby CBTIRL » 14 Jan 2013, 17:26

Fennikin, only because it reminds me of Lillipup
Nintendo Network ID: Insert_Pun_Here
3DS FC:1461-6464-0543
PSN:conben12
Twitter:@CBennett_12
CBTIRL

Postby ThePokekid78 » 14 Jan 2013, 17:48

Why isn't there a 'hateallofthemandplantoditchmystarterassoonasIhavemorethan6otherpokemon' category?
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby shy guy 64 » 14 Jan 2013, 17:49

im going for chespin
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby mrmariomaster » 14 Jan 2013, 17:50

LewiiG wrote:Fennekin. Fire types have always been my first pick. Not because they are fire, but because they look awesome. Imagine the final evolution! Fennekin's stage 3! I still like the other the starters though.

Exactly the same with me :)
Friend code: 0216 0853 8882
Friend code name: Ewan
Dream code: 6000 2211 2882
mrmariomaster

Postby mrmariomaster » 14 Jan 2013, 17:51

ThePokekid78 wrote:Why isn't there a 'hateallofthemandplantoditchmystarterassoonasIhavemorethan6otherpokemon' category?

basically oshawott.
Friend code: 0216 0853 8882
Friend code name: Ewan
Dream code: 6000 2211 2882
mrmariomaster

Postby CyberGW » 14 Jan 2013, 17:54

From first evolutions only, Chespin. He looks amazing! Lets hope his evolutions are just as unique and awesome.
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby Nintendalek42 » 14 Jan 2013, 18:24

Fennekin for me, cos, erm, it's cool and fennecs are awesome animals to take inspiration from (I'm still waiting for a pokemon twist on a lemur, a platypus, a koala, an armadillo... although gen V did treat us in that respect. Note that I say twist because although I do enjoy pokemon like Wailord, I prefer those whose designs combine an animal with an original idea).
As for Unova starters, my opinion is just the reverse to this article's. I think Snivy goes from OK to boring, Tepig from uninspired to awful and only Oshawott goes from OK to Great. I mean, Emboar is just a fat ugly pig, and Samurott is a samurai/sealion/otter!! How is that not cool? In my opinion, if Emboar had remained a quadruped and been made Dark-type, he could of had immense potential as a badass design.
I personally think Chespin and Froakie are fine, although we probably have enough pokefrogs to make feel Froakie is a bit unnecessary and his evolution should provide a sufficient payoff. I hope the evolutions don't dissapoint, and I trust Game Freak to surprise us, although I think the Psychic/Dark/Fight attacks shown in the trailer may well be clues to typing as has been speculated.
As for Legendaries, I think Xerneas is bit bland and prefer Yveltal, but it's refreshing to not have once again generic yet amorphic dragons after 2 generations of them.
Bring on gen VI, the first gen where I can play a game without having the choice between spoiling myself the new batch or 6 months of Poke-Void!
Nintendalek42

Postby koopa_kicker » 14 Jan 2013, 18:59

ThePokekid78 wrote:Why isn't there a 'hateallofthemandplantoditchmystarterassoonasIhavemorethan6otherpokemon' category?

Pick the one that you reckon will be picked the least, so then you can easily trade it online with the other people who may be desperate to obtain it. Hey it worked in Gen V to get up to a total of 13 Victini (though I traded one to a mate because they didn't even have any).

marioman268 wrote:Ill probably choose Fennekin, i mean come on its a Fire Fox, perhaps I should call it Mozilla :D

Lol, I told my mate who said he'd pick it too, to call his that..
My brother said he'd have Froakie, despite only knowing its name, and not what type it is, or even what it looks like...
And I'm left with Chespin, which I was going to choose anyway, because it looks like something new. It is not something that looks like a frog, or a fox...it's a hedgehog, pin, chesnut, something hybrid! My mate however, irritatingly alerts me that its bound to be the one with the most weaknesses. I picked Snivy in White then Oshawott in White 2 (refused to pick Fire starters since Sapphire they have all caught an illness that causes then to mutate into Fighting types in every Gen since), but it never really seems to matter that much as I often ditch starters at some point: ie White 2, having wild riolu near start is just asking for trouble...reaches Elite 4 champ with level 89 Lucario... I feel the starters shouldn't be able to take down everything as it would make catching more unnecessary in some ways.
Friend Safari: Panpour, Floatzel, Frogadier
Most shinies in one day on Pokemon X: 4
The times on wonder trade where I trade Eevee for Eevee...
koopa_kicker

Postby thenintendoer » 14 Jan 2013, 19:33

first time ill be using a fire pokemon for a starter
thenintendoer

Postby Accelgor7 » 14 Jan 2013, 19:58

what on earth is so great about fennekin! i guess i will use fennekin on Y though, chespin on x and froakie whenever i get the chance
Accelgor7

Postby dap005 » 14 Jan 2013, 20:18

Froakie because he reminds me of a famous historical figure that I can't quite pinpoint on. It must be the glasses and beard look that froakie possesses. I'll have to pick a fire type starter eventually so maybe next gen (fennekin and chespin all look like great starters but there's something very odd and quirky about froakie that stood out for me). I'm just hoping there'll be more fire types in X & Y than previous gens.
Google Plus page for my freeware thread: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105394026066349779263
My tumblr (graphiczzz): https://dap005.tumblr.com
My main blog (musingzzz): https://danwensmusing.wordpress.com
dap005

Postby VinceLovesToast » 14 Jan 2013, 21:33

Y is froakie last its not as if we have already had lots of frog pokemon!!!!!!!! :evil:
:shock: Oh wait
VinceLovesToast

Postby lazy_by_choice » 15 Jan 2013, 00:53

I personally am torn between Fennekin and Chespin....I almost always go for the water type, however, this time not so much; Froakie just does not add up to my expectations. That said, I will wait and see what their evolutions are like before I make a final judgement! but for now....its Chespin for me! just because it looks so much more unique/different. :)
3DS FC: 2492 - 4389 - 4961 - PM me if you add me & I'll add you back :)
lazy_by_choice

Postby Pikachuu » 15 Jan 2013, 08:22

I'm gonna go with my typical choice of the Fire starter. :)
Pikachuu

Postby JaySuthEFC » 15 Jan 2013, 10:18

Froakie looks awesome, I'll pick him
Wii U I.D: JamesS89
Feel free to add!
JaySuthEFC

Next