Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo make top 3 in Edge 50 best developers list

Comment on site articles.

Nintendo beat Rockstar and Bungie

The 50 best developers in the world are listed in the 250th edition of Edge Magazine and Nintendo have made the top three, beating the likes of Rockstar, Platinum Games and Bungie.

... read more

Postby master sword » 15 Jan 2013, 12:21

Ok i'll give them Valve, but minus minecraft 'Mohjang' haven't really done much else worth mentioning, meh someone elses opinion I suppose, Glad to see Nintendo doing well
i will fight for:
. good reviews
. the next ONM mag
. smash bros on the 3DS
. pikmin 3
. the last bowl of pasta
master sword

Postby vix_chan » 15 Jan 2013, 12:24

That’s great news, it shows that no matter how much people complain about Nintendo games being "Childish" they just can't keep away from playing and enjoying the nostalgia.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Re: Nintendo make top 3 in Edge 50 best developers list

Postby MatthewONM » 15 Jan 2013, 12:31

Was disappointed that Level-5 didn't make the list. A rare Japanese success story and real digital craftsman.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby Commandervideo » 15 Jan 2013, 13:29

Where there any other Nintendo related developers in there? Game Freak, Retro studios, RARE?
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby jaco_p » 15 Jan 2013, 13:32

MatthewONM wrote:Was disappointed that Level-5 didn't make the list. A rare Japanese success story and real digital craftsman.

I thought that. While layton may not be as critically acclaimed as it is succesful, they also did inazuma eleven and ni no kuni

And as for Mojang only making minecraft, only the most important game of recent years that has changed the face of gaming!!
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby KH81314 » 15 Jan 2013, 14:45

This is great news for Nintendo. Valve does make some pretty good games so I dont mind that they got first.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Donkey Kong Jr. » 15 Jan 2013, 14:46

mojang...? MOJANG? ... what complete balls
Currently Playing: Luigi's Mansion 2
Donkey Kong Jr.

Postby Toastie » 15 Jan 2013, 17:05

Donkey Kong Jr. wrote:mojang...? MOJANG? ... what complete balls

This isn't just the best companies in terms of games, but also in terms of how good it is to work there etc. Mojang is really fun to work for. Everyone can put their own ideas in, and it has a great, relaxed atmosphere, and everyone knows each other.

Of course, there's also the fact that they made one of the most critically acclaimed games of the decade.

Glad to see Valve at #1. They really deserve it. Not only are their games consistently amazing, but they're a fantastic company to work for (like Mojang), and they have a brilliant sense of humour.
I HAVE CHORTLES.
Toastie

Postby geengy » 15 Jan 2013, 17:11

Valve of course deserved it, but Nintendo deserved second! Mojang are only recognized for Minecraft, and Rareware should be in there! (Not Rare these days, Microsoft ruined it because most Rare staff stuck with Ninty and joined Retro *Trollface*
If Jack likes it, then then it's not Shloer they put inside those things...
3DS FC: 4012-3382-0569
geengy

Postby Pyron12 » 15 Jan 2013, 17:19

I agree with the top 3. Valve thoroughly deserve the top spot. Mojang have created one of the most unique game but only one so it's a bit debatable but still they deserve a top 3 spot at least.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby TheSlenderman » 15 Jan 2013, 17:31

To be fair, what have nintendo really done recently to get into the top 2? For a while now it has just been a continuous stream of mario games. And while no-one can doubt the quality of these games, it's time for something new. That's why I'm so excited by the wii u and 3ds. Come this time in one or two years, and Nintendo will have top spot. :D
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby Argenthor » 15 Jan 2013, 17:56

master sword wrote:Ok i'll give them Valve, but minus minecraft 'Mohjang' haven't really done much else worth mentioning, meh someone elses opinion I suppose, Glad to see Nintendo doing well

You are not the only one to think that. Notch replied to this on Twitter saying:

"#2? Really? One released game and almost no proven track record. Great honor, of course, but no. ;)"
"Valve was voted #1, and that I agree with!"

I have to say I agree with him! It's a great game, but Nintendo and Valve have shown so many times how to make amazing games.
Argenthor

Postby ThePokekid78 » 15 Jan 2013, 18:31

Valve I can understand. Better than Nintendo? Nah, but no doubt they're a quality developer.

But Mojang?! I'm not a big Minecraft player, though I can't deny the quality of it.

However, they're saying that a company with 1 game to it's name is better than all of Nintendo's years of creativeness, experience and innovation?! It just seems ludicrous...
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby OrangeRakoon » 15 Jan 2013, 18:55

My top three would be Naughty Dog, Platinum Games, and Nintendo. Three amazing developers. Naughty Dog games are some of the finest out there that push the consoles they are on to the absolute limits. Platinum Games seem incapable of making a bad game, and yet keep putting out one after another. Nintendo of course are Nintendo. They're iconic for a reason, and while they can stray off occasionally from amazing games, that's because they innovate and reiterate constantly. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes they don't innovate enough, but when they get it right (which they more often than not do) we're left with some of the best and most unique games out there. There is nothing quite like a Nintendo game.

Mojang shouldn't be there, one game isn't enough.

MatthewONM wrote:Was disappointed that Level-5 didn't make the list. A rare Japanese success story and real digital craftsman.

Level-5 are great when it comes to world-building and vision within a game, but sometimes the actual execution/gameplay can let them down. Look at White Knight Chronicles as a prime example. Although Ni No Kuni looks absolutely stunning, and the initial English reviews look very promising, and Layton is always solid if not that innovative since the first game. So I agree, they should be on the list. Although I wouldn't put them right near the top.
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator

Postby Xenobladeperson » 15 Jan 2013, 19:20

There's not much to fault about Valve, but Mojang? They haven't done anything in years other than update Minecraft, and Minecraft was awful to begin with anyway. Someone please explain why they deserve to be on that list.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby 3DSRulesO.K » 15 Jan 2013, 19:33

Mojang sholdn't be higher than Nintendo, they shoud be in the top ten, but not above Nintendo. The only critically acclaimed game that they've ever made is Minecraft. A masterpiece nontheless, but it is just one game. Nintendo, onthe other hand, has been making games for more than 30 years and have established much more IP's than Valve, and have made a greater amount of amazing games than either. Valve and Mojang are both deserving of having their praises sung from rooftops, but Nintendo simply deserves louder praises and from more rooftops. It is a little insulting to put Mojang, a studio with only one game in its companies library, above others like Naughty Dog, Platinum Games and ID Software. Companies with a lot of good games. Even after that, I must ask where SEGA, Capcom and Square Enix placed on this list.
As you can tell, I like the 3DS. A lot.
3DSRulesO.K

Postby vtheyoshi » 15 Jan 2013, 19:57

Capcom anyone?

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Thanks for the memories and great times, ONM. It's been a damn good run.
vtheyoshi

Postby OrangeRakoon » 15 Jan 2013, 20:00

Capcom really need to up their game. They whore out their games again and again to make money while neglecting their fans (just look at what they've done to Megaman)
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator

Postby K-tet » 15 Jan 2013, 20:27

I guess it's far too easy to put Nintendo at number one, but it shows you that, in terms of the industry nowadays, there's more recognition for some smaller developers, and both the attitude towards gaming and gaming in general nowadays has changed significantly from what it was say 15-20 years ago. However, to be absolutely honest, Valve are responsible for Steam, so with that in mind, it's easy to see why they're number one on that list. Mojang on the other hand... why is it number two on that list? Aside from Minecraft, they're responsible for what exactly? I honestly don't believe the hype of Minecraft either. I've played a little bit of it, think it's neat, but that's about it. I guess Sandbox games aren't for me.

However, in terms of gaming pedigree, Valve are nowhere close to Nintendo. On my list, Valve aren't in the top 10, and Mojang wouldn't even feature in my top 20. That's being honest.
K-tet

Postby Mr Roboto » 15 Jan 2013, 20:31

Nintendo has created so many gaming phenomenons over the years no one can touch them. They should be at the No.1 spot no question about it.
Mr Roboto

Postby Baker1000 » 15 Jan 2013, 21:25

Hmm, when you compare the number of quality titles produced by the top 3, why isn't Nintendo top? Valve is primarily a first person shooter developer. Nintendo have created games in a wide array of different genres with success in each of them. Probably the only reason Valve is so high is because they created Steam. I might be bias because I only play Nintendo games, but just doing the math with the sheer amount of titles, the range of different genres and how long they've been doing it for and still producing quality games...can there be any other winner?

Also, just as Valve is great at making FPS games, Sqaure Enix is the RPG equivalent...why aren't they even in the top 10?
Baker1000

Postby Commandervideo » 15 Jan 2013, 22:01

No Capcom? No Sqaure enix? It sounds like a terrible list
My Colors!3D Gallery
THE BEST EQUALS = MK7 + SSBB + SM64
Commandervideo

Postby lazy_by_choice » 15 Jan 2013, 22:20

i would have thought Square Enix would make it....but Nintendo in the top 3 is great news!! YAAY NINTENDO!!!!! :D
3DS FC: 2492 - 4389 - 4961 - PM me if you add me & I'll add you back :)
lazy_by_choice

Postby super yoshifan » 16 Jan 2013, 09:33

Honestly am I the only one not surprised that Nintendo EAD were ranked so highly? They've got one of the biggest legacies in the industry, have the closet thing to a household game developer name you can get (Shigeru Miyamoto) and they've consistently made games which receive universal acclaim and innovate.

Mojang deserves to be high on the list but compared it to the next 4 or 5 developers and it makes me question why it's so high on the list. As much as I respect the impact of Minecraft one game isn't enough for me.
Stoke City: finally a football team, apparently.
super yoshifan

Postby King Slazo » 16 Jan 2013, 12:54

Mojang deserves to be in the top twenty, but to stand between Nintendo and Valve? They're not even close to being at that level.

And yeah, Valve does deserve the top spot more than Nintendo. Between Steam, a total adoption of online communities, a stream of very successful, genre-defining games and the best development enviroment in the industry, they surpass the xenophobic and sometimes misguided Nintendo dev studios. Its a close second though.

Squeenix aren't in the list because they've really dropped the ball over the last decade, splitting fans with each new game they make, Capcom, while they did revive the fighting game genre, then tried to monetise it to hell and back losing sight of why people came back in the first place. Level-5 I can't argue with deserving a spot somewhere on the list, but not in the top half.
~ if we make it through the night we'll watch the morning sun ~ endless tweetnobabble
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Next