Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Might Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition review

Comment on site articles.

WayForward's HD Wii U remake is an unnecessary digital switchover

HD isn't enough. In the pantheon of Reggie quotes this lags behind "My body is ready," and "I'm about kicking ass and taking names," but it is more important. Nintendo insists games need more than fancy looks, but WayForward didn't listen.

... read more

Might Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition review

Postby Shinigami_Link92 » 21 Jan 2013, 13:01

This is barely a review. I've been trying to decide which version to get, and this is not enough detail on the Wii U version to help me decide. It assumes that everyone has played the original version, for starters.
Shinigami_Link92

Re: Might Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition review

Postby tomonm » 21 Jan 2013, 14:13

This review was taken from reviews round up which has a 200 word limit. I'd say your decision to buy it depends on whether you've played the original or not. If you haven't, I'd say it's a worthy download. See our 3DS review for a more in-depth analysis of what the original MSF had to offer.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co. ... ce-review/

As for which version you should buy, well this offers the new remixed levels on top of the originals. However, it also costs £8.99 while the original is £5.40. So I'd say it depends on how much money you have. If money isn't an issue, the Wii U version will keep you going for longer, even if the 3D effect is lost. That said, this is a game that was built for 3D and doesn't benefit hugely from being on the big screen in HD.

The problem comes if you have played it. You see, you have to complete the game again to get to the extra stuff and I'd say that the pay off isn't great. If I didn't have a great deal of money, I'd rather buy a new game - something like Trine 2 (although that has been released on other formats) - than a game like this that I'd already played on 3DS. Hope that helps...
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby tomonm » 21 Jan 2013, 15:32

Reduced to £6.29 this week!
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby Lewis Daisley » 21 Jan 2013, 16:18

Well you guys should seriously think about this review. I haven't played the original but you guys are basically saying "don't get the game" by giving a great game 65%. If not the original game should be better with the boosted graphics and a few more levels. How can you rate a game badly just because it is an almost identical port?
Lewis Daisley

Postby tomonm » 21 Jan 2013, 17:03

I've thought about it. Well actually I agonised over the score a few months ago when it went in the mag. It's a tricky one because it is a good game (Remember that 65% isn't a bad score under the new ONM scoring system - Solid but unspectacular).

I think it is all summed up in the final paragraph. My feeling was that the game was pretty short in the first place so to put it on the Wii U eShop with HD sheen and some remixed levels and charge £9 for it seemed a bit cheeky considering it's £5.40 in the first place. Obviously it is £6.29 for a limited time now.

My feeling is that Wayforward should have made a selection of all-new levels. That way, those who bought the original and those who haven't would both be happy. It's difficult to recommend to those who have the original. Hence 65.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby King Slazo » 21 Jan 2013, 17:33

Lewis Daisley wrote:Well you guys should seriously think about this review. I haven't played the original but you guys are basically saying "don't get the game" by giving a great game 65%. If not the original game should be better with the boosted graphics and a few more levels. How can you rate a game badly just because it is an almost identical port?

For starters, 65% isn't a bad score. 50% is average, ergo this game slots nicely into the "above average" bracket.

And ultimately, while there is no cast iron right or wrong way to review, or score, a port or remake, because a lot of what the player gets out of it depends on whether they've played it before, consider this. Should any remake with a few new levels or extras automatically get a higher score than the original? Or should the review take into account the fact that there is a original, and that you are weighing up which version of an almost identical experience to purchase?

The answer is, quite obviously, the latter. This'd be like expecting reviews of, say, Pokémon games to disregard the fact there's already numerous prior gens, or Galaxy 2's review to ignore the fact its Galaxy 2, and not the original. The market, and expectations, changes everytime a new game comes out, so sequels, remakes or re-releases should be judged by what already exists. At the same time, the written content of the review should reflect and address that for the different playerbases of those who've already played and those who haven't, which Tom has done here.

In short, how can you rate a game "badly" when its an almost identical port? Because its an almost identical port.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 21 Jan 2013, 17:49

Tom, I think you're quite right for giving this a lower score than the 3DS edition. The 3D effect is totally necessary to get the most out of this great little game, and I don't think the HD paint job is a good enough replacement, plus the 16-bit style graphics are far more charming to a retro-head like myself. And for more money? Forget it.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Pwuz_Here » 21 Jan 2013, 18:03

I hadn't played the 3DS version of this game, but have been impressed with the other Way Forward games I've played. I can see that considering owning the original version, this version is kinda lacking in extras.

That said, it's a great game! I don't see the lack of 3D as an issue, but do agree that the visuals don't gain much from HD resolution.

The other thing to consider is if Way Forward may add additional beef to this game through an update or patch. While that is only speculation, it sure would make this game worth the full entry price (granted I got mine on sale.)
Pwuz_Here

Postby KH81314 » 21 Jan 2013, 18:47

Dont give the game a bad review just because you already played it. Some of s haven't played it and are wondering which version to get.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 21 Jan 2013, 18:55

KH81314 wrote:Dont give the game a bad review just because you already played it. Some of s haven't played it and are wondering which version to get.

A) It's not a bad review, it's an above average review.
B) It's not simply because he's already played it, it's because it isn't worth the full asking price.
C) Get the 3DS version.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby Dertdood » 21 Jan 2013, 19:30

The game is clearly not aimed at people who played the 3DS one and I don't think it is correct to review it with the assumption that people already played the 3DS one
Review of photo: Saul Iscariot's photo of man with red lightsaber has lightsaber man centered well in the photo and the red light adds definition to his cheekbones. 7/10 (Use of photo is covered by Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, Sec. 30)
Dertdood

Postby Xenobladeperson » 21 Jan 2013, 21:13

Haven't played the 3DS version and I've got £7 on my account I'm not going to spend for a while, so I'm going to get this when it's reduced.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby Tams » 21 Jan 2013, 22:29

KH81314 wrote:Dont give the game a bad review just because you already played it. Some of s haven't played it and are wondering which version to get.

If your trying to decide between getting either one or the other, it would be beneficial if you read both reviews before you make a complaint. I won't tell you what you'd find, as I want you to actually read and understand both reviews. Tom even kindly posted a link.

As for this review; Tom had a choice of writing a review mainly aimed at the people who have played the 3DS version and those who haven't. He balanced it well, but when faced with a choice he went with his opinion on his article.

I haven't completed the 3DS version. It was fun, but it wasn't great. I don't have the motivation to finish it.
Tams

Postby mushroomchow » 17 Feb 2013, 13:46

...well, I didn't play the 3DS version, and am thoroughly enjoying this. Sorry, ONM, this is a pants review.
So I have a blog now. Go read it, I'll get you a cuppa if you do.
3DS FC - 5241-1896-0199 - Jake - PM me yours and let's play Animal Crossing New Leaf! :D
mushroomchow