Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo Direct showcased a bright future for Wii U

Comment on site articles.

ONM Editor-In-Chief Chandra Nair delivers his verdict on today's show

Nobody but Nintendo can do what Nintendo did today. Out of nowhere Nintendo has announced two Zelda games, a new Mario Kart, a new 3D Mario game, a new Monolith adventure and an top-end RPG mashup from Atlus and Intelligent Systems. Who else could bring you that? Nobody.

... read more

Postby TheSlenderman » 23 Jan 2013, 18:30

This lot does excite me. :mrgreen:
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Re: Nintendo Direct showcased a bright future for Wii U

Postby PeterR » 23 Jan 2013, 18:35

pity me not for i have excitement!
PeterR

Postby CDS » 23 Jan 2013, 18:35

Mario Kart! Yes!
And all of other games [well, most of them] are also great. Whether I get any but Mario Kart though is another story.
At E3, all will be revealed.
CDS

Postby thecoolmana777 » 23 Jan 2013, 18:36

Nintendo - Shut up and take my money, there is not one thing that they announced today that I am not looking forward to, I just can't wait for E3 news!!!
Have an awesome day :D
3DS FC- 3394-3533-6027, NNID-Thecoolmana777 PM me
thecoolmana777

Postby KH81314 » 23 Jan 2013, 18:39

This is probably the best Nintendo Direct ever.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby ThePokekid78 » 23 Jan 2013, 18:43

Well, Nintendo have surprised me not once, but twice in the last month! This is awesome news, looks like I need to invest in a Wii U!

Kinda sad though, since I have no Nintendo-loving friends with whom I can discuss these announcements... :(
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 23 Jan 2013, 18:50

Ahhh Nintendo...wait until the doubts start to creep in then blow us away with a massive lineup of great looking games. You can be annoyingly stupid looking at times, then just...wow.
Free Nintendo points codes, 3DS and Wii U eShop codes, and many others here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr

Postby shy guy 64 » 23 Jan 2013, 19:12

there's plenty coming out to make me happy
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby Da_Epic_Fail » 23 Jan 2013, 19:38

When Nintendo delivers, they deliver in style. Wind Waker HD, SMT vs FE and the next Xeno title. Year is sorted. :)
Da_Epic_Fail

Postby bigterence » 23 Jan 2013, 20:19

Just dowloaded The Cave.Now off to arrange a bank loan to finance 2013 WIIU purchases.
bigterence

Postby Riverlution » 23 Jan 2013, 20:27

Where's my Starfox?!
Riverlution

Postby RealToonLink » 23 Jan 2013, 20:30

Exciting stuff. I will definitely try and pick up a Wii U this year. Now all we need is a little Starfox and F-Zero love.
Dear Nintendo, GIVE US AN ALL NEW STARFOX!!! please...
RealToonLink

Postby King Slazo » 23 Jan 2013, 20:32

Hmmmm. Torn on this.

On the one hand, you had some great announcements there. Shin Megami Tensai meets Fire Emblem should be cool. Wonderful 101 keeps looking better each time I see it. Monolith's game looks to be a potential system seller.

But on the flipside, a lot of that was just name dropping. We knew there'd be new Smash Bros, 3D Mario and Mario Kart games, as Iwata said. WindWaker HD is alright, although I want to see it in motion, as those screenshots seemed to lose some of the charm the Gamecube classic showcased. We saw nothing new of Bayonetta 2, SMTxFE was just an announcement, Yoshi's Yarn was a few seconds of footage (if they've released full trailers outside of this, do let me know).

And then the Virtual Console schenanigans. Ahaha. You want me to buy stuff I already own and transferred over again, you want to "reset" the Virtual Console so you can do your weekly release strategy all over again for some reason, and you want to charge people for rentals of decades old games? Disgraceful.

Still, it did a good job of building up for E3. Much like E3 2011 was what sold me on getting a 3DS, it seems E3 2013 will sell me on getting a Wii-U. Time shall tell.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby Mr Roboto » 23 Jan 2013, 20:36

Lack of sales have forced Nintendo to break this news early before E3 but are saving the footage for the big event.

At last the Wii U needed this good news, though I think not having a AAA launch from Nintendo was a mistake.

Bring on wind waker but a sensible price!
Mr Roboto

Postby K-tet » 23 Jan 2013, 20:41

My tuppence: http://pastebin.com/tK9YLww1

Upon reflection, I think it's a fair assessment.
K-tet

Postby Mmmyeah » 23 Jan 2013, 21:10

PeterR wrote:pity me not for i have excitement!

Took me a little while to realise what you were saying there! But yeah, me too.

The Wii U and 3DS both have incredibly bright futures, brighter than any I can remember for any console. They have so many first party games on the way, and they both have strong third party involvement. I am very excited, Its times like these I wish I had a little more money though...
Hey Reggie, where's the cats?
Mmmyeah

Postby Trilink » 23 Jan 2013, 21:30

I may as well as well declare im officially going to be broke once i get my WiiU and by the time Pikmin 3, Wondeful 101, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, comes out. Thats not even including the other stuff they announced today!
Trilink

Postby Mello » 23 Jan 2013, 21:34

The pre-E3 stuff doesn't really excite me (apart from Rayman Legends which looks fantastic, especially after playing the demo) as judging from my time with the PSP games I'm not into Monster Hunter (hate the combat), already got 3DS Resi:R and I don't like the structure of how Pikmin works. Wonderful 101 is interesting to me to be fair as well.

I can kind of live with that though given there is a fair amount of 3DS stuff out this year (and Persona 4 Golden on Vita) that I want in the meantime. Plus I'm still on my much needed rest from Zelda games (I need to space them out personally) so I've still not started on Skyward Sword. :P

A lot of the stuff announced today however, does excite me. While it was nice to hear when we might find out details of the biggest Nintendo games, a couple of hints about the newest Zelda, the Wind Waker remake, the Yoshi game, the Virtual Console rebuy-all-your-games situation not being quite as miserable and costly as I'd expected (though it should have been free) and most significantly, SMT x Fire Emblem were all great to hear.
Mello

Postby That Guy Ganon » 23 Jan 2013, 21:48

Very excited to hear about what's to come... I mean I think everybody was aware that there would be a Mario kart, Mario platformer and a new Zelda coming to the Wii U, but its nice to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.
What I am really looking forward to though, is Wind Waker HD and Monolith RPG.
Hopefully Nintendo won't do what they did with Skyward Sword, Mario Land and Mario Kart and release a load of titles in the same month, otherwise I'll be forced to live off just bread for ages in order to pay for it all!
That Guy Ganon

Postby CyberGW » 23 Jan 2013, 22:11

Although most of it was announcements of announcements (sounds weird but it's true) Nintendo Direct has bern brilliant! All the new amazing games, and the big one, Wind Waker HD. I am so excited for the new crisp 1080p cartoon art style, especially since I've never played the original!
Current Favourite Game: Tomodachi Life
Most Anticipated Game: Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS
NNID: CyberGW
CyberGW

Postby dap005 » 23 Jan 2013, 22:18

Suffice to say my wish list just expanded again and it was already very big....
Google Plus page for my freeware thread: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105394026066349779263
My tumblr (graphiczzz): https://dap005.tumblr.com
My main blog (musingzzz): https://danwensmusing.wordpress.com
dap005

Postby ninjafox » 23 Jan 2013, 22:19

Since getting my Wii U and enjoying the launch window titles, not knowing what was coming in the majority of 2013 left me a little uncertain what the future held for my new console.

But after todays Nintendo Direct the future for Wii U seems very bright indeed!
Finally getting a release date for Lego City Undercover was a nice start before having the confirmation that the Mario Kart and Galaxy teams are indded working on new titles. The wonderful 101 keeps getting better in each trailer and the fact we are getting a Wind Waker remake is simply fantastic.
Not to mention all the other exciting and unique looking games that were announced.

This Nintendo Direct has reminded me why it is so great to be a Nintendo fan.
ninjafox

Postby starwarriorsam » 23 Jan 2013, 22:48

There are some good games here, the only complaints i have is that Japan are getting EarthBound/Mother 2 on Wii U VC on 20th March and no mention of an international release yet, despite Shigesato Itoi and Nintendo learning in recent times of the western fan base it has and also there was no Kirby or Star Fox games. Id like to see Mother 3 get a western release on Wii U VC since there gonna have GBA games.
starwarriorsam

Postby Mello » 23 Jan 2013, 23:01

starwarriorsam wrote:There are some good games here, the only complaints i have is that Japan are getting EarthBound/Mother 2 on Wii U VC on 20th March and no mention of an international release yet, despite Shigesato Itoi and Nintendo learning in recent times of the western fan base it has and also there was no Kirby or Star Fox games. Id like to see Mother 3 get a western release on Wii U VC since there gonna have GBA games.

I'm not entirely familiar with the licensing issues that prevent the games from being released over here, isn't it to do with the music being dangerously close to ripping off songs by famous rock bands or something? Seems weird that it wouldn't be a problem over in Japan but it is here.

I have all 3 games ready to play in unfortunately-unpaid-for-form but I've not got round to playing them yet. Would of course love to buy them and be able to play them on the gamepad, which seems a perfect sized device to play retro games on based on my quick go on Balloon Fight earlier on.
Mello

Postby wiill 64 » 23 Jan 2013, 23:52

Wind Waker HD has now justified my Wii U purchase. Can't wait to play my favourite Zelda game in HD.
Also looking forward to the Fire Emblem crossover game and Yoshi Yarn, while Monoliths new game looked interesting, maybe a Xenoblade sequel perhaps?
Everything else we kinda knew was going to be announced sooner or later anyway (Mario Kart, 3D Mario, new Zelda).
Still one thing missing though - F-Zero :(
Credit to KameRule for sig
3DS FC:5198-2404-6786, NNID: wiill64. PM if you add me please.
wiill 64

Next