Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

007 Legends Wii U review

Comment on site articles.

Take a trip down memory lane with the 50-year-old spy who loved you

GoldenEye 007 was over a decade ago. Despite that, fans of the timeless N64 classic still cling to the hope that someone, at some point, will make a new Bond game that can hold a candle to Rare's defining title. Developer Eurocom's had plenty of attempts: it's been making Bond games since The World Is Not Enough on N64 in 2000.

... read more

007 Legends Wii U review

Postby KH81314 » 26 Jan 2013, 08:20

I haven't bought a video game based on a movie and I'm not gonna start now.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Re: 007 Legends Wii U review

Postby Rainbow Shifter » 26 Jan 2013, 10:21

Would you like to expand on that?
Rainbow Shifter

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 26 Jan 2013, 11:25

KH81314 wrote:I haven't bought a video game based on a movie and I'm not gonna start now.

Y'know, not all film related games are bad. Sticking with Bond, Goldeneye and The World Is Not Enough on the Nintendo 64 were both very good.
And while I've not played a lot of movie tie-ins over the years, the ones I own have all been pretty good. Power Rangers The Movie on Megadrive for example is basically Streets of Rage with colour-coded teenagers with motocycle helmets.
Also, I remember ONM one reviewed Kung-Fu Panda for Nintendo DS and praised it for being a pretty good Metroid clone.
Don't rule out all movie games as terrible because there are a few gems out there.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby danbish » 26 Jan 2013, 16:20

So much potential...utterly wasted.
3DS: 0920-1615-5762. NNID: TheFatPlumber. PM me if you add me & I'll add you back.
Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy, no I don't care. Dorkly
danbish

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 28 Jan 2013, 14:11

Biggest disappointment of the year, for me.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby toffeeman30 » 28 Jan 2013, 14:32

this doesnt do the system a favour. nintendo should have stepped in and banned this game if its this bad. nintendo and bond usually go hand in hand
toffeeman30

Postby dave666 » 28 Jan 2013, 15:09

This game is by no means terrible, it's just not that good either

the problem here is that this game is clearly unfinished and should have not been released in this state. Eurocom have been making bond games for many years now and have always done a decent job, TWINE, Goldeneye wii, Nightfire, were all above average 007 titles and 007 legends was easily their most ambitious attempt thus far and I believe that if Eurocom had been given the time and resources needed this game would have been a classic.
This saddens me a little because I have loved all bond games since Goldeneye 64 and was really excited for legends, especially after the awesome Goldeneye wii.

So why would Eurocom just all of a sudden drop the ball after all these years, I think it might have something to do with the fact that the studio was on it's last legs coupled with the pressure from Activision to get 007 Legends out the door in time for the release of skyfall.

But in spite of all it's short comings, I still enjoyed 007 Legends and if your a bond fan there is fun to be had. But I would only recommend this game to BOND FANS ONLY.

50%
dave666

Postby Tams » 28 Jan 2013, 18:46

Not great to judge it by the trailer, but even the trailer looks bad. The animation looks clumsy and the background looks more detailed than the faces. The human models look like they are made of plasticine. The combat looks bland and there seems to be a lot 'preset' actions. It essentially looks like a poor COD mod. If even the trailer can't be made to look good, I don't have high hopes the game is good at all.

I'm not a fan of COD like combat and I don't think Bond fits it well. I hope the weapons at least sound somewhat realistic, or at least not all sound the same. Not only that, there seems to be a lack of gadgets. Even Daniel Craig's Bond has some gadgets.

What seems the worst, seeming as this is a Bond game, is that the Daniel Craig's Bond is everywhere. I disagree with dave666 here. I don't think this looks like a good game for Bond fans, even if you like some Bonds more than others. Perhaps it's better for COD fans who have a very cursory interest in Bond.
Tams

Postby dave666 » 28 Jan 2013, 22:02

@tams

the reason I recommend 007 Legends to bond fans is because I't gives you the chance to play through memorable bond moments, and as a bond fan myself I can't deny that this did put a smile on my face.

I wouldn't recommend 007 legends to COD fans at all simply because if they want another good fps title they have plenty of other quality fps's to choose from.

why would they need a below average 007 shooter ?
dave666

Postby Quantum Raven » 02 Mar 2013, 13:01

ONM just copied a review of the game on a rival format word for word so this is NOT a legitamite review and I think they should be forced to re-review it in the same way that they should be forced to re-review NSMBU because I got 007 Legends before this "review" even got published and I can safely say that 007 Legends is one of the best games I have ever played and just because a videogame is based on a movie (or in this case six movies) does NOT automatically mean it's rubbish because 007 Legends is a masterclass in showing that games suitable only for adults do not have to be ultra-violent and have blood geysering everywhere. It's not quite as good as Goldeneye 007 but 007 Legends does provide some solid action and a great gameplay experience.
My four favourite things in the universe: Videogames, Top Gear, Classic Gameshows and Robot Wars
Quantum Raven