Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

ZombiU writer would have liked more melee weapons in the Wii

Comment on site articles.

"Give me a halberd to keep those zombies back!"

Gabrielle Shrager, lead writer for ZombiU, has been talking about the things she'd change in the Wii U survival horror game.

... read more

ZombiU writer would have liked more melee weapons in the Wii

Postby vix_chan » 28 Jan 2013, 11:08

I almost always use the cricket bat. Firing you weapon just alerts more zombies to your location, so I do that as little as possible.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Re: ZombiU writer would have liked more melee weapons in the

Postby franksello » 28 Jan 2013, 11:17

I can understand some of the frustrations around the cricket bat requiring upwards of four hits to take down a zombie, especially if you are used to recent zombie games where it is easier to lop off limbs than it is cutting through butter.

However taking so many hits to cave in the brains of a zombie, is… well far more realistic (used in the loosest of terms ) If you play Zombiu expecting Call of Zombies then it may seem a chore taking so long to dispense of one foe, however for a true survival horror title like this I think it is a great system; more than two zombies and you’re in trouble. My only criticism with the cricket bat is that the controls feel somewhat unnatural until you get used to timing your shots.

As for a sequel, more zombies, a larger variety of areas, less sewers, or possibly a more open world less linear structure to the game play. Having said that (and being a lover of zombies) Zombiu is better than I imaged it would be, and really nails the survival horror that resident evil used to be loved for before it went all action.
Nintendo Network ID - franksello
franksello

Postby LOZ_01 » 28 Jan 2013, 11:40

vix_chan wrote:I almost always use the cricket bat. Firing you weapon just alerts more zombies to your location, so I do that as little as possible.

Same here. In fact I've only fired my pistol once and that was for a zombie who hadn't woke up yet and was in a place I couldn't reach. Otherwise it's cricket bat all the way! I'm sure I'll need the ammo Lata
tho 8)
currently playing:
ds: Okamiden and professor layton and the lost future
3DS: mariokart 7, kingdom hearts and metal gear solid
Wii: skyward sword
pc: Skyrim, fallout new vegas and everquest 2

WiiU hype-o-meter about to overload!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOZ_01

Postby jaco_p » 28 Jan 2013, 16:22

The game forces you to use the cricket bat A LOT if not exclusively. I loved this game
i've met mario!!XD twice!
pm me someone please for wario diy, MH3, mariokart wii, brawl, etc i've got loadsa online games doing nuffin!
check out my registered games :-) http://www.nintendo-europe.com/user/jaco_pastorius
jaco_p

Postby MistaChristopher » 28 Jan 2013, 20:07

More melee weapons would've been great, Knives, Machetes, as well as other things like Crossbows or what not.
Music FTW
Video Games FTW
TV FTW
~
That Lylat guy.
Music rawks mah sawks!
MistaChristopher

Postby noobgamer9 » 28 Jan 2013, 20:24

Why not just add more melee weapons through spotpass/dlc?
Hoping to get ZombiU for my 18th this year
noobgamer9

Postby Alex Filipowski » 15 Mar 2013, 10:29

I can understand the idea behind the cricket bat, but melee combat in this game doesn't feel very fun to me. In comparison with Dead Island, there are hundreds of different weapons and zombies react realistically and fall to the floor when hit. In this game it takes quite a few hits to kill the zombies and after each hit they get pushed back. The rest of the game is amazing however, just a shame that it was let down by really unforgiving melee combat.
Alex Filipowski