Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Who is the tallest Nintendo character?

Comment on site articles.

Link is taller than Mario but who towers over them all?

Okay, maybe that title isn't entirely accurate but this piece of artwork from Hyrule Historia (via Kotaku) compares the heights of characters from The Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule and guess what? Hyrule has the taller characters.

... read more

Postby Nintendo4Ever » 29 Jan 2013, 10:17

Bowser. Although his size does change to adapt to his surroundings... Like a go kart. I'm pretty sure Bowser's usually the biggest though, Ganondorf has shapeshifting abilities to turn into Ganon, he doesn't seem that tall in his human form.
Been Catchin' 'em all! since June 2000 with my Special Edition Yellow GameBoy Colour... been trying to Catch 'em all! ever since.
Nintendo4Ever

Re: Who is the tallest Nintendo character?

Postby K-tet » 29 Jan 2013, 11:21

Any form of growth power-up (e.g. Mushroom) is automatically excluded from this discussion.

Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy is extremely tall, but maintains a standard height in Mario Kart. Same with Honey Queen.

Wailord's technically the biggest Pokémon, standing in at a colossal 47'07" (that's 14.5m for those that don't know their old money, shame on you). However, other characters (such as Cordelia from Panel de Pon) just don't have height bio's.

Giga Bowser on the other hand... if this was a true canon transformation and not a Smash transformation, would probably take the title as the tallest standardised Nintendo Character. Again, Bowser's heights vary from game-to-game, so whether it would hold any credence or not is nigh-on impossible to judge, though the topic itself is fun to discuss.
K-tet

Postby tomonm » 29 Jan 2013, 11:44

Wailord's cheating a bit as isn't his height based on its length. I listed Palkia as he seems to be the tallest Pokemon who can stand up.
tomonm
ONM Staff

Postby IPecksU » 29 Jan 2013, 12:40

I thought it was wailord
IPecksU

Postby metalgario » 29 Jan 2013, 13:05

The Wind Fish from Zelda IV? Doshin the Giant?
metalgario

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 29 Jan 2013, 13:25

Well, if the Mario & Sonic sports games are anythhing to go by, Mario is about as tall as Sonic who stands in at 100cm, and Ganon looks to be just under 3.5 Mario's tall, so that's roughly 350cm. What that is in feet I have no clue.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby master sword » 29 Jan 2013, 13:26

Hades from Kid Icarus, i'd say he's on par with Doshin
i will fight for:
. good reviews
. the next ONM mag
. smash bros on the 3DS
. pikmin 3
. the last bowl of pasta
master sword

Postby SnorlaxMonster » 29 Jan 2013, 13:50

ZeldaWiki has Ganondorf's height, but that's as a human and this image has him as Ganon.

[quote=ZeldaWiki]According to Hyrule Historia, Ganondorf is 230 centimeters tall (approximately 7 and a half feet) in Ocarina of Time. His 1/4 scale model from First4Figures, who used in game data to faithfully recreate his appearance in Twilight Princess, stands at 23 inches tall, which indicates that he stands at 7ft 6 in that game as well.[/quote]

However, OoT Link's figure says
He measures approximately 7 inches tall, including the base. If standing tall, he would measure 8.5 inches tall, accurately keeping in scale with current and future statues in the series.

Unfortunately, the site doesn't state the scale Link is at (and he is from a different line to the Ganondorf figure), but if we knew we could calculate Link's height.

As for Pokémon, the tallest is Wailord at 14.5 m (47'07"), dwarfing Ganondorf.
SnorlaxMonster

Postby smashbros-kid » 29 Jan 2013, 14:18

Possibly Andross? He's much bigger than an Arwing which I'd guess is a similar size to a modern day fighter-jet. There's plenty of bosses from Mario, Zelda and Metroid that are absolutely huge. The imprisoned from Skyward sword has got to be bigger than Palkia, Link is about the size of one of his toes.
Hi.
Thanks for reading, you know its nice to see people like you reading what I have to say, and I aplaud you for puting up with my bad gramar and spelling mistacks.
smashbros-kid

Postby KH81314 » 29 Jan 2013, 14:47

master sword wrote:Hades from Kid Icarus, i'd say he's on par with Doshin

I agree that Hades might be the tallest.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Mew3 » 29 Jan 2013, 16:27

KH81314 wrote:
master sword wrote:Hades from Kid Icarus, i'd say he's on par with Doshin

Definitely
Mew3

Postby RiksilveR » 29 Jan 2013, 16:54

Mew3 wrote:
KH81314 wrote:Hades from Kid Icarus, i'd say he's on par with Doshin

Isn't Medusa just a bit taller? Although I guess her hair probably adds a bit, so she's cheating really.
RiksilveR

Postby Waldy565 » 29 Jan 2013, 17:37

I bet I'm as tall as the Professor... Layton, just for anyone who hasn't played the games, we're both beanpoles xD (6'4")
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 29 Jan 2013, 17:41

K-tet wrote:Wailord's technically the biggest Pokémon, standing in at a colossal 47'07" (that's 14.5m for those that don't know their old money, shame on you). However, other characters (such as Cordelia from Panel de Pon) just don't have height bio's.

Giga Bowser on the other hand... if this was a true canon transformation and not a Smash transformation, would probably take the title as the tallest standardised Nintendo Character.

Yeah, very true, forgot about Wailord... And I know I'm late too the party, but I only got Smash Bros 2 years ago, so only today have I discovered the mentalism that is Giga Bowser... awesome though
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Bigtime » 29 Jan 2013, 18:04

How about that genie from Mario Party 4/5, can't remember which. Chucking the obscure reference out there.
"Eat right, exercise, die anyway..."
Bigtime

Postby cheatmaster30 » 29 Jan 2013, 19:29

Megaleg probably. Come on, Bowser's big and Ganon's pretty big, but that robot is moon/planet sized:

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/8/81/Snifit3.jpg
A Good Nintendo 3DS Forum
Someone I'm friends with owns the above.
Want Super Mario 3D Land news and info? Click here
Proud subscriber, Waluigious writer, game modder, world record attempter and ex glitch hunter.
cheatmaster30

Postby K-tet » 29 Jan 2013, 21:13

tomonm wrote:Wailord's cheating a bit as isn't his height based on its length. I listed Palkia as he seems to be the tallest Pokemon who can stand up.

Palkia's probably the largest bipedal Pokémon, but Dialga's larger than Palkia despite being quadrupedal. However. height and length are the same statistic in Pokémon, so Wailord's the biggest. Steelix is the 2nd largest overall, standing in at 30 feet two inches (9.2m new money).

Anyway, there are plenty of others you can throw around. Any God/Goddess-like creature can easily be considered a lot taller. Look to those in Kid Icarus: Uprising, look to Cordelia (and, to a lesser extent, the likes of Zilba and Thanatos from Panel de Pon). You also have Doshin the Giant, heck, Andross is a good enough bet.

For those wondering about Link's height. Many sources reference his height as 5'7, or 170cm. That seems about right in keeping with his stature and the skills he possesses (Death Battle referencing also).
K-tet

Postby superthingymabob » 29 Jan 2013, 23:55

Apart from Wailord, I thought Groudon was taller than Palkia?
Oh well.
How about Stallord?
Thanks to Martinisawesome for the sig
Did you know? I have not been here for a very long time. I bet tons of exciting stuff has happened while I was gone. Hm. Maybe not.
[insert hilarious quote here]
superthingymabob

Postby Samster296 » 30 Jan 2013, 18:38

I would say the Moon from Majora's Mask is the tallest. And it is probably also the widest too.
ImageImage
New Leaf Dream Address - 7100-2228-7688
Steam
Credit to Pacaholic for the sig!
Samster296