Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

No Wii U price cut planned

Comment on site articles.

"We are not planning to perform a markdown," says Iwata

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata has said that the company has no plans for a Wii U price cut.

... read more

No Wii U price cut planned

Postby vix_chan » 31 Jan 2013, 11:59

As I only got my Wii U for Xmas, I am glad there is no price cut as of yet, I would feel majorly gutted if it went cheap like how the 3DS did so fast.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Re: No Wii U price cut planned

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 31 Jan 2013, 14:15

I wasn't predicting a mark-down. As Iwata said it's already being sold at a loss so further reductions would be insane.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 31 Jan 2013, 14:29

I'm quite happy about that,considering I did felt a bit cheated when the 3DS when down so much in price.
Long as Nintendo keeps up with big releases for the Wii U,they should be fine,but I do think the games could do with a price drop from £49.99 to about £39.99-£44.99.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby K-tet » 31 Jan 2013, 17:10

There's no need for a hardware price cut, we just need high street retailers to stop ripping people off.

The only time when the Wii U should get a price cut is when the system naturally depreciates (in about 2 or 3 years time). By then, Nintendo should have a quality software library and a fair-sized install-base available to start wheeling out the hardware units "left, right and centre".
K-tet

Postby abovethewell » 31 Jan 2013, 18:04

As previously mentioned, I think that shops need to reduce the price of the games; £45- £50 for ports of old games is simply ridiculous. I'd be more than happy to pay £45 for say, Metroid, but not for remakes and ports, or games that simply reuse older game engines, with little development required (Super Mario Bros. U, here's looking at U.).
I should probably insert some witty or meaningful piece of text here.
abovethewell

Postby ThePokekid78 » 31 Jan 2013, 20:11

Dammit.
My Youtube career kinda ended, so...I really have nothing to put here anymore...
ThePokekid78

Postby KH81314 » 31 Jan 2013, 20:41

I got the 3Ds when it got the price cut but I felt sorry for the people who didn't so i'm glad that isn't happening to me yet.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Mr Roboto » 31 Jan 2013, 20:53

Price cut later in the year just before PS4 and 720 are released!

WiiU sales are bound to be lower than Wii the world is different now money is more tight now days for family's!
Mr Roboto

Postby Riverlution » 31 Jan 2013, 21:55

Kinda annoyed I bought my Wii U when I did. I got it from Amazon for £350 on launch (ZombiU edition) but didn't open it til christmas anyway.

I've seen them up to £60 cheaper now. Still, its amazing so I'm not overly annoyed since I believe it was worth the asking price
Riverlution

Postby Knightendo » 31 Jan 2013, 22:47

imbusydoctorwho wrote:I'm quite happy about that,considering I did felt a bit cheated when the 3DS when down so much in price.
Long as Nintendo keeps up with big releases for the Wii U,they should be fine,but I do think the games could do with a price drop from £49.99 to about £39.99-£44.99.

Couldn't agree more, but I've found I'm able to find games for about 35-40 in places like HMV or Tesco etc. basically, stay away from GAME and you're sweet!
Knightendo

Postby Dougtendo » 01 Feb 2013, 19:38

They need to reduce the price of games, people go to eBay because they're cheaper there. Seeing games for £49 at the local game store won't encourage anyone to buy them, let alone the console.
Check out my "news" blog - http://thedouglog.blogspot.co.uk/
Dougtendo