Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Nintendo's bring together console and handheld divisions to

Comment on site articles.

Iwata reveals resaons behind development restructure

Nintendo believe their plan to bring together the handheld and console development divisions will help them not only make software assets more transferable but also avoid software lineup shortages and development delays.

... read more

Nintendo's bring together console and handheld divisions to

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 31 Jan 2013, 14:31

So does this mean that software titles could start being developed for both home consoles and handhelds?
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Re: Nintendo's bring together console and handheld divisions

Postby rachaeln » 31 Jan 2013, 14:56

I think this is hinting at Nintendo doing something similar to what Sony are doing with the ps3 and vita games ( you get the game on one console and have it avaliable on the other too) that's just me speculating but I think it would be a good idea if Nintendo did his too.
rachaeln

Postby K-tet » 31 Jan 2013, 17:05

Unless I am mistaken (which may be true), in a nutshell, Nintendo have created (or are working to create) an SDK/Programming Language that has instruction sets and compatibility for its ARM11 and PowerPC 750 processors found in the 3DS and Wii U respectively. This will allow cross-platform play between 3DS and Wii U more readily, and developers that have already invested in such an SDK will receive this upgrade to further their horizons.

This is only a good thing.
K-tet

Postby TheSlenderman » 31 Jan 2013, 18:21

This looks very exciting, especially if it results in the same sort of relationship the ps3/vita share for wii u/ 3ds! :D
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby Mr Roboto » 31 Jan 2013, 20:50

The games industry is changing and Nintendo knows it.

People hate waiting these days so games releases have to flow out regularly.

Iwata's job will be decided by how well the Wii U does.
Mr Roboto