Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Is figure collecting the future of gaming?

Comment on site articles.

Skylanders fan Marti Bennett on the postives and negatives of NFC

Near Field Communication (often shortened to NFC) is a way of devices communicating using radio frequency at a close range. It's actually nothing new, wuith the public taking advantage of the technology to swipe Oyster Cards on the London Underground or making a quick purchase on a credit card and mobile phones. Yes, in gaming it is taking off. First we had Skylanders and this summer Disney will be asking fans to pay for figures in Disney Infinity. But is this a good thing.

... read more

Is figure collecting the future of gaming?

Postby LOZanges » 02 Feb 2013, 09:33

I LOVED Skylanders, not because the the characters had catchphrases or because Spyro was in it, I loved it because it was NEW. That's why I didn't buy Giants, 'cause it didn't justify another £50 spent. Disney Infinity is an exception. :)
JoeONM: LOZanges is as good as Dynasty Warriors!

MatthewONM: LOZanges is nearly as good as me!

GavONM: LOZanges is as good as Nintendo Unleashed!
LOZanges

Re: Is figure collecting the future of gaming?

Postby Lego master » 02 Feb 2013, 09:43

"Is figure collecting the future of gaming?"
If it is I may cry....
Lego master

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 02 Feb 2013, 11:57

It better not be, especially considering the cost for each figure. I'm not against the idea of games with NFC support, just as as it adds an extra feeling of immersion and as long as the physical item(s) you need are boxed in with the game so that you have everything you need to start playing, and you get an acceptable amount of content and play-time already in the game.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Ys - Adol | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby vix_chan » 02 Feb 2013, 12:23

I could see it becoming a big thing.
A big money maker for companys, and bank breaker for us.

In a way, i kind of hope it dosn't. because i can see it puting me off of buying games because of all the add-ons.
Thanks for the votes everyone.
vix_chan

Postby Layton link » 02 Feb 2013, 12:54

Dear god I hope not..if it does i think i might just..stop,buying new games..
Layton link

Postby King Slazo » 02 Feb 2013, 13:10

Pokémon figure collecting? You do remember the Trading Figure Game right? And how quickly that tanked.

Far more likely is it'll be used with cards of some sort. Kid Icarus Uprising already proved how viable that was.
~ a r r o g a n c e e t e r n a l ~ to tweetfinity and beyond
King Slazo
ONM Moderator

Postby AquaMisty » 02 Feb 2013, 13:51

Does no one seem to see that Pokemon would be completely ruined by NFC because there would be no skill at all in catching Pokemon ,it would be about who is willing to spend the most money.
I love water Pokemon !
Pokeshipping -the best
AquaMisty

Postby fisher2007 » 02 Feb 2013, 14:03

I hope not and if it does happen stop buying new games.
come to my world and i will project you from bad souls and I'm the ninja pirate master.

3DS FC is 0130-1987-2452 If you add me then please PM me
fisher2007

Postby Tuckforce » 02 Feb 2013, 14:47

I think Pokemon could easily dominate this market.

Perhaps a more likely avenue could be releasing a special chain of Pokemon cards with NFC capabilities? They would be separate from the trading card game and different to the models that are being used in Skylanders and Disney Infinity AND would be more cost effective to manufacture. This could make them much cheaper to purchase than the ridiculously over priced skylander figurines.

It could bring the excitement of collecting rare cards from the trading card game to the computer game series, just imagine how much more satisfying it would be to get a rare Pokemon if it was a physical object which you could only get through buying/trading and luck.

Also with the small memory storage in these NFC devices you would be be able to level up that card and make it your own, the more I think about this the more possibilities there are!
Tuckforce

Postby Yinyanreshiram » 02 Feb 2013, 15:04

It would be cool if Pokemon went the Skylanders route but it would be so expensive.I'd rather just catch my Pokemon using a pokeball rather than spending €10 every time I want to add a new Pokemon to my team >.<
Yinyanreshiram

Postby KH81314 » 02 Feb 2013, 15:10

I'm already having trouble buying the games I want. If they make more games with figure collecting thatn i'm gonna have to give up some great game.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Tinstar5 » 02 Feb 2013, 16:15

There are two problems with figure collecting. 1) It can be very expensive and 2) It can be hard to store them somewhere if you've got loads of them. But it can work if the figures are realtively small and cheap.
3DS FC: 2578-3161-0430 Name: Rory
PM me if you've added me
Tinstar5

Postby 1steagle » 02 Feb 2013, 16:28

so the future of gaming is making us buy a game and then spending another £50 to complete the fricking thing
dont hate the player hate the game (but not inazuma eleven)
1steagle

Postby IPecksU » 02 Feb 2013, 16:44

The figure collecting thing is the reason I'm not getting disney infinite...

I wouldn't mind them using NFC for an online pokemon trading card game off the wii u eshop though. Maybe you could scan non nfc cards with the camera or use a download code from the decks or boosters you buy
IPecksU

Postby neko paul » 02 Feb 2013, 16:56

oh god, I hope not. I'm not forking out extra money for something just to play a video game
PSN: Nekopaul 3DSfreindcode:0688-5267-6494(PM me)
neko paul

Postby PokeMarti » 02 Feb 2013, 18:55

Just to make clear, I think NFC is a very exciting area for games to get into, not just with figures. I look forward to seeing how the technology can be used in other ways to add to the gaming experience.
ONM Blogger - Twitter @martibennett
PokeMarti

Postby madbox » 02 Feb 2013, 20:45

I always keep thinking Smash Bros would be perfect for this knowing the fanbase is way more hardcore and die hard.

though not really the most liked idea imagine buying rare trophies, coming across someone online using it and how this would be awesome on display :) who knows not the perfect evolution of the series but still not a bad thought :D
madbox

Postby HaydnRhys » 02 Feb 2013, 23:44

the thing about disney infinity is that you get a bit more for your money because they unlock complete new levels rather than just allowing you access to a couple of treasures and areas. So maybe the small extra cost is worth it.
Find me on Miiverse as Haydn_Rhys

Oh, and if you're wondering how to pronounce my name it's Hay-den Reece (Everyone gets it wrong)
HaydnRhys

Postby Pyron12 » 03 Feb 2013, 10:34

I don't want that to happen to Pokemon. Otherwise that would ruin the franchise and so many of the iconic gameplay elements.
Friend Code: 3780-9511-6018
Pyron12

Postby Scraggy man » 03 Feb 2013, 17:04

AquaMisty wrote:Does no one seem to see that Pokemon would be completely ruined by NFC because there would be no skill at all in catching Pokemon ,it would be about who is willing to spend the most money.

Pokemon got to spend it all! Pokemon! :D
Scraggy man

Postby Cinaclov » 03 Feb 2013, 17:18

You remember how Pokemon Cards in the GBA era all had e-card bar-codes along the edge? I think that's an almost perfect example of how it should work. If they worked NFC into an already existing product (there are still Pokemon toys out there :P) then have it unlock similar things as the e-cards in R/S/E/FR/LG then it shouldn't matter.

Extra trainer battles, rare Pokemon swarming in areas they otherwise wouldn't, cosmetic changes, if they repeat stuff like that again then it'll be fine (after all, did any of you even notice that that kind of stuff was in your games but we couldn't access it? The only indication I got before researching was that the Sevii islands seemed really barren and rubbish :P).

I'm still undecided on whether this system should be used for event Pokemon or not. I think it'd be cool if they had a real-life download event where you got given a toy rather than just the download, and then you get that as a keep sake, or maybe just one Pokemon per gen could be via figure, but if everything started going that route then we'll have a problem.

madbox wrote:I always keep thinking Smash Bros would be perfect for this knowing the fanbase is way more hardcore and die hard.

though not really the most liked idea imagine buying rare trophies, coming across someone online using it and how this would be awesome on display :) who knows not the perfect evolution of the series but still not a bad thought :D

I've thought before how fantastic it'd be to have collectable Gashapon figures for Smash Bros. Provided they were cheap and only had superficial value in game (unlocking extra info on the trophy for example) than I'd be all for it.
Top 32 Pokémon VGC Birmingham, 2010.
3DS FC: 4897-6918-6814
Cinaclov

Postby Ioannis83 » 03 Feb 2013, 17:27

Wasn't there one of the trailers for Rayman Legends showing something like NFC use?A guy placed a heart toy on the gamepad and Rayman got an extra heart in the game if I remember correctly.
Ioannis83

Postby VinceLovesToast » 03 Feb 2013, 21:52

they could do pokemon having the starters so you can receive the other starters for your dex, unobtainable legendaries (instead of having events) and pokemon who do not feature in the game!!!!
VinceLovesToast

Postby Riverlution » 03 Feb 2013, 22:00

Its not the future of my gaming.
Riverlution

Postby 9 Times » 05 Feb 2013, 17:38

AquaMisty wrote:Does no one seem to see that Pokemon would be completely ruined by NFC because there would be no skill at all in catching Pokemon ,it would be about who is willing to spend the most money.

Yeah...That's actually a pretty decent point.

But the likelihood of Pokemon doing the whole 'buy n' play' scheme following is small to nothing...
Miiverse: PixelFire★
I'm Mr. 9 Times.
Probably the most cynical gamer you'll ever meet in your travels across the universe.
9 Times