Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate preview: Groundhog day with 20 fo

Comment on site articles.

Hands on (and pointy claws out) with Wii U's high-definition hunt

Booting up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is like watching Groundhog Day recast with 20-foot lizards. Instead of Bill Murray you've got an avatar of your own devising - ours is an old beardy guy with a pink quiff - and he's stuck on Moga Island, not Punxsutawney, but it's the same story of being trapped in a loop of events. Buying his first sword. Cooking his first raw meat. Hunting his first Great Jaggi. It's almost as if we've done this exact routine before. Question is, can he break the pattern and get it on with Andie MacDowell (played in this version by Lagiacrus)?

... read more

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate preview: Groundhog day with 20 fo

Postby Erdogan44 » 03 Feb 2013, 11:42

Extremely excited for MH3U.

Roll on March 22!
Computer - 21.5" iMac - i5 QuadCore 2.5Ghz - Radeon 6970M HD - 4GB DDR3 - 500GB HDD

3DS FriendCode - 4425-2273-6142
Erdogan44

Re: Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate preview: Groundhog day with 2

Postby Pwuz_Here » 03 Feb 2013, 13:46

The Western versions of MH3U are set to feature Azure Rathalos on the cover, not Brachydios. I kinda prefer the Japanese cover, but I'm still super excited to get my copy on March 19th. Then again, does the cover really mean anything since I plan to download my copy directly onto my Wii U.
Pwuz_Here

Postby Mew3 » 03 Feb 2013, 14:12

To be honest, the lack of online means that I'll probably be getting 4 instead.
Mew3

Postby KH81314 » 03 Feb 2013, 18:10

Mew3 wrote:To be honest, the lack of online means that I'll probably be getting 4 instead.

What are you talking about? There's online and thats the best part of Monster Hunter.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Xenobladeperson » 03 Feb 2013, 19:15

KH81314 wrote:
Mew3 wrote:To be honest, the lack of online means that I'll probably be getting 4 instead.

What are you talking about? There's online and thats the best part of Monster Hunter.

Only on WiiU, 3DS version is offline only.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby legend1992 » 03 Feb 2013, 21:33

Surely, they are as gods who run this magazine... I've been looking for that hi-res cover art of Brachydios for ages! Consider it my next favourite wallpaper for my iPod - Thanks, ONM! :D

Xenobladeperson wrote:
KH81314 wrote:Only on WiiU, 3DS version is offline only.

Though I never got into playing the original Tri online, I don't deny that the lack of online co-op on 3DS is a letdown. Lucky for us that Capcom thought to make the Online/Event quests available for download, so they can be played offline and at any time, to make up for it - they did it for the original JP version, and it's also been confirmed that they'll do the same for us in the EU and US.
legend1992

Postby lrwr14 » 03 Feb 2013, 22:56

I'm looking forward to get back into Duel Swords and the Bow, 2 of my favourite weapons which were removed. I might go with them instead of the longsword or hammer that I normally use.
Master of the Long Sword.
lrwr14

Postby vtheyoshi » 04 Feb 2013, 13:53

I got a Wii U mainly for this game.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby EdDeRs1 » 11 Feb 2013, 14:49

i may have to get a Wii-U for this game alone, and do you know if the 3DS version will have online play as well?
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: when im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1

Postby parker-skywalker » 13 Feb 2013, 01:36

As some one who did not play tri I am very excited about this game cant wait!!
parker-skywalker

Postby Scraggy man » 22 Feb 2013, 03:25

Impressive. I am glad this version isnt just a step up on graphics but we get new missions new weapons new monsters ectra.
Scraggy man