Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Best minor Nintendo characters

Comment on site articles.

The top 10 game characters who deserve more attention

As great as they are, Mario, Link, Samus and all the other big Nintendo stars get all the attention. Nintendo have been in the video game business for a very long time, creating hundreds of great characters over the years. Sadly, many of them are overlooked because of the minor roles they play or limited number of appearances they have made. Not wanting this injustice to go ignored, I've gone through Nintendo's history and picked out some of the lesser known faces I feel deserve some recognition.

... read more

Best minor Nintendo characters

Postby LOZanges » 04 Feb 2013, 16:41

I knew about 5 of these.
I heard you like ONM. So I put an issue of ONM inside your issue of ONM so you can read ONM whilst you're reading ONM
LOZanges

Re: Best minor Nintendo characters

Postby retrotoad » 04 Feb 2013, 16:53

Carl was really annoying in the second season, to be fair. I'll agree with you on that one.
Credit to Mr. Nintendo and TJ Hiphop.
retrotoad

Postby vtheyoshi » 04 Feb 2013, 17:32

Biorex was awesome! It really should get its own game. Its ending video is pretty funny too.

Thanks to Liberal for the sig and avatar.
Kittens.: Right, because a three way between a corpse, the self-proclaimed "ONM overlord" and masa would be really sexy.
vtheyoshi

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 04 Feb 2013, 17:47

Salvatore, indeed! I liked him the moment he uttered the words "KA-BOOOOOM!!" and SPLOOOOOSH!!"

One of my favourite minor characters are the Bob-omb Buddies. Just the sound they make when you talk to them make them great.
A whole bunch of Link's Awakening minor characters spring to mind too. Like Sale. He's a blue alligator who runs a shop called "House O' Bananas" and collects rare and unusual canned food as a hobby. That's pretty darn memorable.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby KH81314 » 04 Feb 2013, 18:02

I only knew five of these characters.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby shy guy 64 » 04 Feb 2013, 19:51

i'd say there's fair few memorbal minor characters in sidequests in zelda games
life, don't talk to me about life
I'm being incredibly clever and there's no one standing around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
shy guy 64

Postby metalgario » 04 Feb 2013, 20:28

Tabuu from Smash Bros Brawl. I mean, what was he all about? Needs to be explained in Smash 4...
metalgario

Postby LavaTwilight » 04 Feb 2013, 21:06

metalgario wrote:Tabuu from Smash Bros Brawl. I mean, what was he all about? Needs to be explained in Smash 4...

He should be an unlockable fighter in Smash 4! As like only possible once you have all other characters or have acheived 100%! Something like that.

Also I believe the bird in Majora's Mask that steals your stuff belong to the actual store owner, the guy who buys the stolen goods. I think it's in one of the comments he makes either when you've had something stolen (you can buy it back off him) or when you've killed that damn bird.

Although he's not a classic or a 'minor' character (yet) but the Generic-Looking Action Figure is one I'd like to see more of, esp as a completely brand new IP! That would be awesome. And you forgot that JPN-only Captain Rainbow guy. How could you miss him and his birdo-gender-discovering anecdote out?
LavaTwilight

Postby Zabba 2 » 04 Feb 2013, 21:14

LavaTwilight wrote:Although he's not a classic or a 'minor' character (yet) but the Generic-Looking Action Figure is one I'd like to see more of, esp as a completely brand new IP! That would be awesome.

Funny you should bring that up, Non-specific Action Figure was actually included in my original draft of this article. However, we thought it would be best to concentrate on characters that have actually appeared in Nintendo videogames so far. I agree though! I hope to see him as the star of a new IP for Wii U.
Zabba 2

Postby TheSlenderman » 04 Feb 2013, 21:46

What about that guy who is frozen in gold in Twilight princess...Jiovani.. I think.
Also, non-specific action figure has got to get his own game at some point...
I need something interesting to write here.
Colors Gallery; http://colorslive.com/author.php?id=118133 :D
TheSlenderman

Postby TronFan97 » 04 Feb 2013, 21:55

OMG I just realised that Captain Shears from Star Fox manga and General Pepper are based off of 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'! General Pepper needs no explanation, and 'Shears' is a reference to the start of the song 'With A Little Help From My Friends', which is on Sgt. Pepper (the first words sung in that song are 'Billy Shears'). On top of that, they wear uniform similar to that which the Beatles wore on the cover of the album. Wow - turns out the Japanese guys behind the Star Fox series obviously kept us Brits in mind when developing the saga!
3DS Friend Code: 0173-1283-0587
Online games: Street Fighter IV, Mario Kart 7, RE: Mercenaries
NNID: SuperSweetBoy (Mii name Edward)
Online/MiiVerse games: Nintendo Land, Trine 2, Arkham City, Lego City, ME3, Injustice
TronFan97

Postby Not_Yeti » 04 Feb 2013, 22:38

TronFan97 wrote:OMG I just realised that Captain Shears from Star Fox manga and General Pepper are based off of 'Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'! General Pepper needs no explanation, and 'Shears' is a reference to the start of the song 'With A Little Help From My Friends', which is on Sgt. Pepper (the first words sung in that song are 'Billy Shears'). On top of that, they wear uniform similar to that which the Beatles wore on the cover of the album. Wow - turns out the Japanese guys behind the Star Fox series obviously kept us Brits in mind when developing the saga!

Yep and the rebels (Falco's friends) drive a great big yellow ship that looks alot like a submarine.
Not_Yeti

Postby Xenobladeperson » 04 Feb 2013, 23:03

You've got to love the Colony 9 Defense Force Colonel.
Nintendo Ninja wrote:Never fear everything can be resolved by a large amount of violence
Xenobladeperson

Postby Smouvy » 04 Feb 2013, 23:44

Haha, it felt like the page on the Angry Sun was less about talking how great the Angry Sun is, and more on how stupid the Honey Queen is.

Not that I disagree though :P
Smouvy

Postby CaptainSnivy » 05 Feb 2013, 10:17

What's the idea of using a screenshot of a ROM hack on an official Nintendo website? Use a screenshot from the actual official games if you don't want to be sued.
CaptainSnivy

Postby Waldy565 » 05 Feb 2013, 23:07

So many Nintendo games I missed out on, from that list, I've played Mario 3, SSBB, Pokemon (what got me interested in Ninty tbh, and the Wii) and I'm getting Luigi's Mansion (so many cool easter eggs I've seen bout that game and wanna try) Due to this, I can't really contribute, but I will say I agree with the Capt Shears, I have SF643D, double-agent espoinge back-stabbing works well in Fox's universe, but him being a manga-only character... Unlikely. One character you missed is Resseti, sure, he can be annoying, but you definetley remembered to save! Plus, he's an angry mole, what's not too like! Played AC Sweet Day, someone posted bout they can't wait to play AC:NL, I AM SO HYPED TOO!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby smash-brother » 06 Feb 2013, 20:14

video games need more playerble characters based arond giant sentiant food stuff :lol:
Jack, I'm only an elected official, i can't make decisions by myself
smash-brother

Postby GloverMist » 06 Feb 2013, 22:00

CaptainSnivy wrote:What's the idea of using a screenshot of a ROM hack on an official Nintendo website? Use a screenshot from the actual official games if you don't want to be sued.

Which one's the ROM hack? I didn't notice anything. :?
I've got two words for you, people: FALCON and PUNCH!
By the way, check out and subscribe to my YouTube channel! I'm currently doing a Let's Play of Super Smash Bros. Brawl!
GloverMist