Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Wii U NFC: 'We'll have something to show by the end of the y

Comment on site articles.

The Wii U GamePad features an NFC reader and although no games have taken advantage of it yet, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata is hopeful that Nintendo will have something to show off by the end of 2013.

... read more

Wii U NFC: 'We'll have something to show by the end of the y

Postby RainbowGazelle » 05 Feb 2013, 13:09

Why do need Skylanders and Disney need their own portals, when the gamepad has NFC. Oh right, to make you buy big chunks of plastic that you don't need. :roll:
If anyone wants to play online, my 3DS FC is: 3437-3065-1394
My Wii U NNID is: RainbowGazelle
RainbowGazelle

Re: Wii U NFC: 'We'll have something to show by the end of t

Postby imbusydoctorwho » 05 Feb 2013, 14:08

RainbowGazelle wrote:Why do need Skylanders and Disney need their own portals, when the gamepad has NFC. Oh right, to make you buy big chunks of plastic that you don't need. :roll:

You mean to charge more money.
3DS FC: 3067-6402-2163 (please add me as I need some friends)
Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
PSN: Crossword-Man
imbusydoctorwho

Postby alexkinch » 05 Feb 2013, 15:21

Internet banking.

Thanks to MartinisAwesome for the sig,
Wii u Id is alexkinch
3ds FC is 2191 7652 3318
alexkinch

Postby Argenthor » 05 Feb 2013, 18:35

RainbowGazelle wrote:Why do need Skylanders and Disney need their own portals, when the gamepad has NFC. Oh right, to make you buy big chunks of plastic that you don't need. :roll:

Yeah, to justify charging more.
Argenthor

Postby blu fire » 05 Feb 2013, 18:47

Maybe smash bros could utilise it? or the new mariokart? could see lots of games that use it whether it would be neccessary or just a little add on to make the game easier.
blu fire

Postby Riverlution » 05 Feb 2013, 19:04

To be honest, I can't see a great application for it in terms of gaming. Not on the controller your meant to be using anyway. Something like Skylanders simply wouldn't work using the gamepad since you wouldn't physically be able to hold it and have something stand solidly on it at the same time. So there will most likely be nothing like that, unless they come up with some sort of silly gimmick. And to be honest, I'm against the idea anyway.
Riverlution

Postby CDS » 05 Feb 2013, 19:06

At last. Pokemon Trading Card game WiiU. Utilising the very latest Pokemon Cards, you can transfer them to the game using NFC and battle people online or compete in the singleplayer story mode with them.

But that FeliCa sounds interesting. Buying something from a shop, and then scan it with NFC to transfer the funds or start the download of a game. Much more easier than inserting a code.
CDS

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 05 Feb 2013, 20:11

I just want to use it to be able to pay for eShop stuff.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: Castle Crashers Four-Square | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby OrangeRakoon » 05 Feb 2013, 23:35

Let Kojima have a go with it, I promise you we'd soon have an MGS game with a boss battle that requires some insane but brilliant use of NFC. Like needing to place the game box near the gamepad to act as a radio jammer.
OrangeRakoon
ONM Moderator