Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

GameCube games that need to be remade for Wii U

Comment on site articles.

Zelda Wind Waker Wii U looks great but what other GameCube classics should be given the HD treatment? Marc Zablotny reveals his picks...

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. Now, I don't know about you but I didn't see that one coming! It looks beautiful doesn't it? I mean, look at all that bloom effect! Go on, look at the screenshots again. It's okay, I'll wait...

... read more

Postby lrwr14 » 06 Feb 2013, 13:05

Played Doshin the Giant, it was an interesting game lol. I would like Mario Sunshine remade, that was an amazing game.
Imagine a really cool picture here.
lrwr14

Re: GameCube games that need to be remade for Wii U

Postby scouserfuller9 » 06 Feb 2013, 13:15

As great as it is having remakes I'd much prefer new titles to be released. Starfox 64 on the 3DS was needed because many hadn't seen Fox for a long time, Zelda: WW is needed for new comers to see as well as veterans to re-live one on the greatest games of all time. The other good thing is it links so well with Zelda: OOT that those who played that on the 3DS, will understand the story much more :-)

So yes, it's great to see remakes but I don't wanna see them go over the top.
scouserfuller9

Postby FamilyGAMEGuy8 » 06 Feb 2013, 13:19

I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...
FamilyGAMEGuy8: The self-proclaimed No.1 Mario and Sonic fan in all of Taunton!
FamilyGAMEGuy8

Postby legend1992 » 06 Feb 2013, 13:20

Those are some very nice choices, indeed. I like the idea of an Eternal Darkness remake especially; if one ever does get made, they should definitely consider updating the game's insanity effects (and adding new ones if possible) for today's HD televisions.

Personally, I wouldn't say no to a remake of the first Luigi's Mansion - not just an HD upgrade, but an extended remake with new areas and bosses to address the criticism the original game received over its short length.
legend1992

Postby ultra_slb » 06 Feb 2013, 13:43

instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?
DIABOS 1982 - Ultras S.L.Benfica
ultra_slb

Postby 5OUNDWAVE » 06 Feb 2013, 14:02

i love the sound of cubivore , f zero gx would love to see that 2 , due 2 the fact i haven't played it , virtual striker i remember fondly - how many pound's i put into that arcade i'll never know - the best thing about it was if u scored an amazing goal it would save it on the machine as goal of the day for other people to see - and ur right it's better than fifa but not pro evo !
5OUNDWAVE

Postby nintenu » 06 Feb 2013, 14:03

FamilyGAMEGuy8 wrote:I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...

Yeah same here!
NintenU One Game at a Time!
Be a part of it ...Join the Staff!
nintenu

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 06 Feb 2013, 15:17

Eternal Darkness would be on the top of my list mainly because I can see the GamePad working well with it unlike the other four. It could act like a virtual Tome of Darkness and make mixing runes, casting spells and sorting eqipment a lot easier.
Besides, Doshin the Giant on Gamecube was already a remake from the 64DD (one of the few games that actually did get released for the system), so a second remake seems unlikely.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby BattleGooseUK » 06 Feb 2013, 15:41

Doshin the giant got so hard later on.

I would like to see an HD remake of Luigis Mansion and Mario Sunshine, they'd be gorgeous in HD.
Nintendo Network ID
- Wii U -
AFistfulOfRupees
BattleGooseUK

Postby MatthewONM » 06 Feb 2013, 15:57

ultra_slb wrote:instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

Amen to that. I think Nintendo fans spend too much time living in the past. One of the best things about Nintendo games is that many of them are timeless - there are very few I want/need again. I like the idea that Nintendo's best work still might be ahead of them. Onwards to victory.
MatthewONM
ONM Staff

Postby IPecksU » 06 Feb 2013, 16:30

Change this to "Gamecube games that need sequels on Wii U" then I'll completely agree
IPecksU

Postby Mew3 » 06 Feb 2013, 17:56

Along with some new games they should remake shadow the hedgehog but actually make it good
Mew3

Postby KH81314 » 06 Feb 2013, 18:19

I think that HD remakes for Gamecube games would be great. Missed out on some great ones and wouldn't mind playing them in HD.
Darkness becomes Light, Light falls into Darkness
KH81314

Postby Not_Yeti » 06 Feb 2013, 18:55

FamilyGAMEGuy8 wrote:I'd rather just have a new F-Zero...

Wow, new games would be nice! That's why they announced 5 or 6 in the last nintendo direct and don't forget about pokemon X and Y that are also coming out. Remakes are great as well. They will bed better quality games as they will have had a second time to iron out all the bugs and you know if you want the game or if it is a pile of Yoshi poop. Nintendo make new games. Nintendo will always make new games but that doesn't mean I don't want to play old games as well on my brand spanking Wii U. I never completed the second level of the F-zero GX campaign and I'm one of the best at that game I know! Man alive the person who I know who is the F-zero king hasn't beaten it on the hardest difficulty and he beats everyone and wins competitions!!! I don't think they should make the game easier but at an easier game mode for noobs to start with.
Not_Yeti

Postby LavaTwilight » 06 Feb 2013, 19:03

I would definitely want an Eternal Darkness HD remake! MAKE IT HAPPEN!
As for F-Zero, meh a remake would be kool but only if they really have no intention of releasing a WiiU version. Otherwise I don't think I could justify buying both purely for the fact that F-Zero GX was a near-perfect game anyway. VC release and a WiiU release? I'll definitely invest in both :wink:
LavaTwilight

Postby Not_Yeti » 06 Feb 2013, 19:10

It isn't gamecube game but really we need to get "The Legend Of Zelda" TV series to download from the eShop or something!
Not_Yeti

Postby linkmarth29 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:37

ultra_slb wrote:instead of remakes why not some decent new games to boost the console?

I agree but with an action packed couple of months ahead, we could go back even further like snes and nes. Even game and watch and if possible, some cancelled virtual boy games that were never released.However, I love F-zero and that's what I want out of life. If they did some 3ds games for wii u that would be pretty cool like kid icarus uprising or(I was about to say new super mario 2 but that would be a bit pointless.) :)
TheBlackParade29. (nnid)
In case you can't tell, I like MCR. I'm a huge movie fan, and am looking for a job as a Film Director. I also play the bass.
linkmarth29

Postby Combusken » 06 Feb 2013, 21:45

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire (If the rumours of Ruby and Sapphire being remade on the 3DS turn out to be true.)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Mario Sunshine
Viewtiful Joe
Star Fox: Assault
Bomberman Generation
One Piece: Grand Adventure (It was only released in North America for the GameCube :( )
Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation (It was never released in Europe for some stupid reason even though Ultimate Muscle was airing on UK tvs back on the CNX channel and then later on the Toonami UK channel. :( )
Combusken

Postby abovethewell » 06 Feb 2013, 22:17

Combusken wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Pokemon Box: Ruby and Sapphire (If the rumours of Ruby and Sapphire being remade on the 3DS turn out to be true.)
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Mario Sunshine
Viewtiful Joe
Star Fox: Assault
Bomberman Generation
One Piece: Grand Adventure (It was only released in North America for the GameCube :( )
Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation (It was never released in Europe for some stupid reason even though Ultimate Muscle was airing on UK tvs back on the CNX channel and then later on the Toonami UK channel. :( )

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was perfection. I loved the pyramid levels and A ROCKET CAME OUT THE DESERT AND WENT TO A SPACESHIP THAT BLEW UP HALF THE MOON!!!!! Um, yeah.... but it actually had a good plot and brilliant gameplay! I'd love to fight the BioHazard in HD :D
I should probably insert some witty or meaningful piece of text here.
abovethewell

Postby ultra_slb » 06 Feb 2013, 22:30

MatthewONM wrote:

Amen to that. I think Nintendo fans spend too much time living in the past. One of the best things about Nintendo games is that many of them are timeless - there are very few I want/need again. I like the idea that Nintendo's best work still might be ahead of them. Onwards to victory.

I don't mind reliving and replaying some games, Ocarina of Time was a nice touch but.. N64, Virtual Console, Game Cube........ it came out on every single one. I think Nintendo focuses on the remakes just to satisfy the fans while they are working on new titles (Wind Waker comes to mind, they are working on a new Zelda..).
The fact that they have to do remakes, is probably proof that there isn't much good 3rd party games yet. I bet if the Wii U library starts getting all those 3rd party games at the same time as PS3 or 360 there will be a lot less of Nintendo Remakes. What annoys me, is seeing so much attention on remakes in these kind of websites, while they should try to put more pressure on for new games.
ultra_slb

Postby ultra_slb » 06 Feb 2013, 22:32

linkmarth29 wrote:

I agree but with an action packed couple of months ahead, we could go back even further like snes and nes. Even game and watch and if possible, some cancelled virtual boy games that were never released.However, I love F-zero and that's what I want out of life. If they did some 3ds games for wii u that would be pretty cool like kid icarus uprising or(I was about to say new super mario 2 but that would be a bit pointless.) :)

You have some good ideas, they could pick some series up, and maybe do sequels.. not just the remakes.As for the Mario Bros in 2D I think we could get a nice pause now.. they are starting to look the same every single one of them, now we had one in HD.. it was cool but there seems to be a bit of a lack of fresh ideas.
ultra_slb

Postby Waldy565 » 06 Feb 2013, 23:37

Will read in a bit, skimmed through to see what games you picked... Like Anouma-san has done,I know we haven't got the new one, but while we wait for the one after that, I'd love to see the original Animal Crossing game be re-made for Wii U. But honestly, they've [Nintendo] picked the best game to remake if I'm honest... We all want an F-Zero remake, and, only recently getting into the series via SF643D, I'd love to see a Star Fox game for Wii U (make Adventures good, it looks good, but from what I've heard/seen, it's bad.) Either that or make a new Star Fox game :D... Other than that, well, we don't need Luigi's Mansion (which I ordered and recieved today xD). I'd also, like many, love a new Metroid, but Prime won't be remade due to Prime Triology...
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 06 Feb 2013, 23:44

Mew3 wrote:Along with some new games they should remake shadow the hedgehog but actually make it good

I enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, well, the 20 mins I can remember playing it from my youth... But yeah, I agree, while his game wasn't the best, I actually prefer Shadow to Sonic in terms of character... Plus red and black are my fave colours, and his mood is my perfect moody teenage match haha... But I love myself a bit of Sonic too, one or more of the Adventure games would be cool!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby linkfinity » 07 Feb 2013, 00:51

Killer7... That is all.
linkfinity

Postby kingeo » 07 Feb 2013, 11:13

We need Eternal Darkness,Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion at least as a player's control releases as the 2 pikmin games since it's impossible to find them new for good prices here in Europe at least.
I never understood why they never released them.
kingeo

Next