Official Nintendo Magazine

Log in to access exclusive Nintendo content, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join for free

Top 10 best Satoru Iwata moments

Comment on site articles.

From questioning the parentage of Reggie to the WarioWare cameo and those bananas, here's why we love Nintendo's boss

What other company President would be seen scratching his bottom in a game trailer, wearing a massive Google camera on his back or staring at bananas for no reason just after unveiling a major console? No one and that's why we love Satoru Iwata!

... read more

Top 10 best Satoru Iwata moments

Postby sgotsch » 07 Feb 2013, 14:47

Whats with the obsession of staring at fruits and vegetable? :shock:
sgotsch

Re: Top 10 best Satoru Iwata moments

Postby kallymsmarties » 07 Feb 2013, 15:03

WHOS YOUR DADDY! XD. I absolute love Iwata. Love the banana one too XD, Was like the best Nintendo Direct ever! This is why I love Nintendo, Because they do it in such amazing and fun ways and they don't look bored to announce it. Iwata is somebody I would love to sit and meet and just talk gaming too and see how good he actually is.
kallymsmarties

Postby Ben of Bordeaux » 07 Feb 2013, 16:18

Satoru Iwata is a great CEO and fits perfectly in what the 'Nintendo Touch' is. Competence and fun.
Ben of Bordeaux

Postby abovethewell » 07 Feb 2013, 19:46

Only this man could be a Nintendo CEO. No one else would mach his random brilliance. Or brilliant randomness? But that's the thing, he's like Borris Johnson- He comes across as a fun guy, but is also brilliant at his job and knows what he's doing (I think :P).
I should probably insert some witty or meaningful piece of text here.
abovethewell

Postby lazy_by_choice » 07 Feb 2013, 20:51

Everything Satoru Iwata does is hilarious! I think the non specific action figure was pure randomness but that's what made it so AWESOME :D
3DS FC: 2492 - 4389 - 4961 - PM me if you add me & I'll add you back :)
lazy_by_choice

Postby Trilink » 07 Feb 2013, 23:30

Satoru Iwata has easily obtained "Legendary" status. No other CEO does what he does. He started as programmer and worked his way up to CEO. He knows how to make games, how complicated they can be. He's in touch with the developers clearly with segments like "Iwata Asks". This man continuously affirms his position as my role model.

For me he can virtually do no wrong. He's easily passionate about games and has a good business sense too. How many CEO's take a pay cut? Ive always said, the MPs in this country need to look at how Japan deals with accountability, specifically i point them to the case of Iwata and his pay cut situation. He even has pretty good English for a 2nd language.
I dont know of any other CEO's who do things like "Iwata Asks" or "Nintendo Directs".

For me the days he leaves Nintendo and dies will be deeply saddening. The investors should not be against this man. They need to support him and keep it at the helm of Nintendo where he rightly belongs.

I hope he can continue to be be CEO of Nintendo for another 20 years providing his health remains well enough to do so.
He has done so much for Nintendo, and I actually feel I sort of know the guy without having ever met him. He comes acorss as a humble, funny and intelligent man.

I never saw E32006 where Iwata said that Smash Bros bit. One of my favourite moments right now. I actually love it when Iwata says in his Nintendo Directs that "we are bringing this directly to you" then reaches out to us. The Lego Iwata epitomises it perfectly. I really loved the WiiU unboxing Iwata's mannerisms were so humble. Hopefully in future Nintendo Directs and at this years E3 he will continue to be a humble, funny and honest man.

Here's to you Satoru Iwata, keep up the great work and may you have all the success in the future you so rightly deserve whether it be in business or in your personal life!
Trilink

Postby Waldy565 » 08 Feb 2013, 00:02

All of them made me madly grin! Especially liked "Reggie - Who's your Daddy?" Might go watch that again :P Loved the Tamadochi (?) vid, I REALLY wanted that game when I first found out about it, still do if I'm honest... Come on Iwata-san, make it happen! :D
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby Waldy565 » 08 Feb 2013, 00:07

Trilink wrote:Satoru Iwata has easily obtained "Legendary" status. No other CEO does what he does. He started as programmer and worked his way up to CEO. He knows how to make games, how complicated they can be. He's in touch with the developers clearly with segments like "Iwata Asks". This man continuously affirms his position as my role model.

For me he can virtually do no wrong. He's easily passionate about games and has a good business sense too. How many CEO's take a pay cut? Ive always said, the MPs in this country need to look at how Japan deals with accountability, specifically i point them to the case of Iwata and his pay cut situation. He even has pretty good English for a 2nd language.
I dont know of any other CEO's who do things like "Iwata Asks" or "Nintendo Directs".

For me the days he leaves Nintendo and dies will be deeply saddening. The investors should not be against this man. They need to support him and keep it at the helm of Nintendo where he rightly belongs.

I hope he can continue to be be CEO of Nintendo for another 20 years providing his health remains well enough to do so.
He has done so much for Nintendo, and I actually feel I sort of know the guy without having ever met him. He comes acorss as a humble, funny and intelligent man.

I never saw E32006 where Iwata said that Smash Bros bit. One of my favourite moments right now. I actually love it when Iwata says in his Nintendo Directs that "we are bringing this directly to you" then reaches out to us. The Lego Iwata epitomises it perfectly. I really loved the WiiU unboxing Iwata's mannerisms were so humble. Hopefully in future Nintendo Directs and at this years E3 he will continue to be a humble, funny and honest man.

Here's to you Satoru Iwata, keep up the great work and may you have all the success in the future you so rightly deserve whether it be in business or in your personal life!

Well said my man! And I completely agree, especially with: and I actually feel I sort of know the guy without having ever met him. He comes acorss as a humble, funny and intelligent man.
Here, here! Here's to (hopefully) another 20 years of the legendary Iwata-san!
3DS Code = 4914-3785-6773 - feel free to add! :)

Loving my Wii U and it's libary!
We all wear a fake smile, and show the tears to the ones who understand, understand both the fake mask and the real face...
Waldy565

Postby MartinIsAwesome » 10 Feb 2013, 13:56

Only just got around to reading this list, but it's a graet one nonetheless. If this keeps up, I think it coudl be worth having a regular ONM Award for him, or one named in his honor.
Please check out my video game inspired t-shirt deigns over on RedBubble!
Featured Designs: SAMUS/ARAN | Luigi - Ridin' Dirty | Another MOTHER - Ness & Lucas (variations available)
MartinIsAwesome
ONM Moderator

Postby PikachuKJ » 12 Feb 2013, 19:27

lazy_by_choice wrote:Everything Satoru Iwata does is hilarious! I think the non specific action figure was pure randomness but that's what made it so AWESOME :D

I also loved him in lego. This is the resn we love nintendo. Iwata isn't afraid to have a laugh and this is what helps make the games so entertaining.
Pikachu I choose you!!!!
PikachuKJ

Postby Version10.151 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:07

'I will now change back into normal Iwata'
*Changes into Satoru Shibata*
Version10.151

Postby Captain Kuchiki » 11 Mar 2013, 11:43

When there was the 3DS troubles and he took a 50% pay-cut instead of firing employees to save money. That was a pretty kickass moment from Iwata.
Captain Kuchiki

Postby redeye » 11 Mar 2013, 14:26

The man is a god! :P
redeye

Postby Darkblizz » 11 Mar 2013, 18:27

I only clocked his cameo in Smooth Moves a few days ago...
Darkblizz